It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Humanitarian Jobs Brain Picking

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I'm posting this thread in hopes that, of the various esteemed members among ATS, somebody would have some good leads for me. I'm currently looking for any humanitarian job. I am quite skilled in Google-Fu so it's not as if I'm just being lazy. The reason I'm throwing my feelers out on ATS is because of the barrier-to-entry on many of these type of positions. I'm hoping to hear from people who are currently doing humanitarian work or perhaps knows somebody who is and has some "insider" information.

I currently do tech support for a company who I am morally opposed to and it has become soul-crushing. Any more details would be breaking my NDA so I have to leave it at that. I'm looking for anything tech-related or non-tech related and I do not mind entry-level wages. If I were a bit more independently wealthy, I'd just volunteer.

Again, I'm just looking to hear some experiences some of you might have had or are currently having that might help guide my quest. I already know about many of the major international NGOs but I'd even be interested in hearing about people working for them, as well.

Thanks, ATS folk, for taking the time to read this.
edit on 20-5-2012 by Cuervo because: clarification...

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

In my opinion if you really want to help people, help them help themselves. There's a lot of work involved, but look into starting a Non-Profit Organization that focuses on creating "living wages" for the people as opposed to profit for the owners or stock holders. Just because it's "non-profit" doesn't mean you cant make good money owning it and receiving your salary.

In a venture like this you have to first pinpoint who you want to help most (ie: the elderly, low wage workers, minorities, etc...) then start with one idea an go from there (if it's to help the elderly, then start a "inexpensive handyman services business" to which you could even hire semi-retired folks or veterans needing supplementary income; or to help a community (and depending on the location) you could start a grocery type store that grows its own organic produce and has a side area where inexpensive meals can be made to help cycle out food..)

Here are a couple links to see if it's something you'd be interested in trying...

Society for NPO

How to start a NPO

new topics

join