It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kerry wins the first

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott

Originally posted by Disastro
Just out of curriosity ;-) Anyone have any guesses, as to what Bush was trying to draw durring the debate?

I just got an email from a "reliable source," who frequently provides secret documents to "CBS Evening News" and "60 Minutes," who states, on the condition of anonymity, that Bush was actually working the New York Times Sunday crossword puzzle--in ink-- during the debate. Bush reportedly seemed annoyed because Kerry kept interrupting his train of thought. None-the-less, Bush completed the puzzle without error prior to the final statements.
Bush, New York Times Crossword puzzle????
Oh, God, you kill me....
owwwww
Roflmao

link   

Originally posted by Disastro
Just out of curriosity ;-) Anyone have any guesses, as to what Bush was trying to draw durring the debate?

I just got an email from a "reliable source," who frequently provides secret documents to "CBS Evening News" and "60 Minutes," who states, on the condition of anonymity, that Bush was actually working the New York Times Sunday crossword puzzle--in ink-- during the debate. Bush reportedly seemed annoyed because Kerry kept interrupting his train of thought. None-the-less, Bush completed the puzzle without error prior to the final statements.
Bush, New York Times Crossword puzzle????
Oh, God, you kill me....
owwwww
Roflmao

link   
Speaking of the Draft, that was the ONE smart thing Bush said during the debates, he emphasized that the military would remain one of volunteers...
So that was at least comforting to quash that rumor...

the "will not allow" attitude could have only been enforced one way.

Unfortunately, I think that Kerry's solution is to continue with the "blood money" extortion payoffs to NK, not military force. Not that I'd be for military force... Personally, I'd work with the Japanese, get a Japanese dissident patsy ready, and have Kim assassinated, but that's just me....

EDIT: Bush doing the crossword...

3. DOWN 7 letter word for alternate power source.

Bush writes: "nukular" and scratches his head when it doesn't jive with 4 ACROSS...

[edit on 1-10-2004 by Gazrok]

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 08:12 AM
link   
I see the "no draft" comment as another lie.

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Unfortunately, I think that Kerry's solution is to continue with the "blood money" extortion payoffs to NK, not military force. Not that I'd be for military force...

Ah yes, it has been so long I had forgotten about the "conditional request for compensation" back in July of 2000. Considering NK was "alledgedly" breaking the 1994 agreement, by the time the "pot came to a boil" in 2002, I do not think a "pay off" would have had the desired effect. It definately would have sent a strange message. A message that would not have been appropriate in a post Sept 2001 environment.

However, that really leads into another "what if" that was not addressed during the debate. A "what if" that a Democrat would not approach with a 10 foot pole if he wanted to be elected President.

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blackout
Haha Bush snorted during the debate
. There was also the time when he was silent for 30 seconds just...thinking. How can we possibly have a president so illiterate?

It was surreal. It was arguably the worst performance of young Bush's career. (cringe) Kerry simply trounced him. Bush was so unprepared, angry and incoherant, it was embarassing (as an American). Anyone who supports Bush at this point needs to get their head checked.

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I thought that Bush would be the more aggressive one. What happened to "I'm a war president!" That debate really took me by surprise.
I think that it showed us more of the true character of George Bush than any other times we've seen him speak.
This is what I read into Bush's character from watching last night:
He has no patience for anyone questioning his actions.
He looked like he felt he should'nt have to debate in the first place.
He got a vindictive look on his face a few times. You know like he's going to pay Kerry back later? I caught that in the way he said "senator" at the end. He sort've spit it out.
What an angry, confused little boy he seemed to be!
Yes "embarassing" is a good description.
Come on guys. Do we REALLY NEED this dude to continue being president???

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Some say that the Bush pauses were moments of him thinking an pondering his retort. No.. I have seen that look before.. that is the look in a deer's eyes just before it is slammed into by a truck.

If he was thinking anything it was allong the lines of... "Ummm ohh crap.. my prepared 3 or 4 stump comments don't fit here. maybe if I jsut say them all again it will sound like I know what I am talking bout."

All joking asside, Kerry stomped Bush in this one. I almost felt sorry for him.

almost.

Wraith

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Well, Grady, you should have watched it, since the "visual" effects were extremely important. Of course, Bush looked so pathetic, so desperate and irritated...just what I expected of him.

I did well not to watch the debate, because I was able to concentrate on the substance, not the style. Kerry's tan mysteriously faded as quickly as it appeared. At any rate, tan or not, irritation or no irritation, I was not affected by any of these extraneous factors.

Kerry put Bush on the defensive quickly, but he responded well, considering that Bush is the one with the record as Commader-in-Chief. Kerry can criticize Bush till he turns blue in the face and it will reflect not one whit on how he might have reacted if he were CinC, or how he might react if, God forbid, he becomes CinC.

Kerry is a traitor to his country and a chameleon when it comes to policy. He is all style and no substance. He has twenty years in Congress and nothing of substance to show for it. He was criticizing leadershop when he was twenty something and he is still criticizing leadership at fifty something. He turned his back on his country when he was twenty something and if he is given command in his fifties there is no reason, I repeat, no reason to expect that he will do no less. In fact, by his own admission, he will do exactly what he did in his twenties, except he air-brushes out the treason and refers only to his "service."

Kerry is a chameleon, the Invisible Man, Mr. Flipflopper, Elasticman, Mr. Plasticity, Golddigger, Jellyfish, Grandstander, an avowed war criminal and on and on and on. He has everything but substance. And if more people would actually listen to what was said in the debate rather than watching the distractions, they would better understand the issues.

Bush is a leader with a record of courage and commitment. Kerry is a spineless wannabe with nice haircut, a thousand dollar suit and a penchant for cosmetics. I'll take Bush on anyday of the week.

[edit on 04/10/1 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Grady, I don't know where you learned to study forensics and arguments, but the bottom line is that at least half of your argument is going to be founded on how you look presenting it.

There is nothing that you can say that will change the fact that Bush lost this debate. He turned into a High School kid giving a speech, because he was falling victim to all the classical 'ah, um, well.........'

There is a reason that these debates are televised. How can your president hold up under REAL stress, if they can't hold up under the fake stress of being televised.

Bush lost debate 1. Get over it.

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I think Kerry did a better job than Bush in this debate. Kerry is a better public speaker than Bush IMO. What annoyed me about Bush is not the fact that he quoted kerry as saying "Wrong war. Wrong place. Wrong time" once; He had to say it at least five times. Bush didn't need to keep repeating it. I got Bush's point the first time. Plus, I didn't really care about whether Kerry had a tan or not. I really didn't notice. I wish Bush would've just once said something along the lines of "I'm sorry my claims of WMD's were wrong. I made a mistake." Presidents should fess up when they make a mistake. That's all.

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Loki

First of all, save your condescending tone for your little gay buddies.

Second, I said that I gave Kerry a slight edge in the debate, but most of what I have heard from those who post here and the pundits on Fox, Bush did not look good.

Third, my point remains that substance beats style in my book any day and I wouldn't care if Bush had fallen asleep on the podium, I wouldn't vote for Kerry if you had a gun to my head.

We are not electing a debater, that is what Senators and Congressmen do ad nauseum. We need a leader and Bush is a leader and a damn good one at that.

In the Marine Corps, we often speak of those Marines who are poster board Marines, who look the part no matter what else they may do, but there are many more fine, honorable, noble and courageous Marines who wouldn't get a second glance on the street. (see below) When it comes to fighting, good looks don't cut it. Kerry is a pretty boy. Bush is a doer. And he did the right thing by taking out Saddam.

Chesty Puller, Five Navy Crosses and a Distiguished Service Cross
Smedley Butler, Two Medals of Honor

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrmulder
I think Kerry did a better job than Bush in this debate. Kerry is a better public speaker than Bush IMO. What annoyed me about Bush is not the fact that he quoted kerry as saying "Wrong war. Wrong place. Wrong time" once; He had to say it at least five times. Bush didn't need to keep repeating it. I got Bush's point the first time. Plus, I didn't really care about whether Kerry had a tan or not. I really didn't notice. I wish Bush would've just once said something along the lines of "I'm sorry my claims of WMD's were wrong. I made a mistake." Presidents should fess up when they make a mistake. That's all.

Thats just it, repition of a few set phrases is all Bush is cappable of doing. Take a look at every speach he has ever given since he was running for Governer against Ann Richards. He is prepped with a few strong resonent ideas and he does not vear from them because he is unable to. The crazy thing is, a good number of average americans find this appealing!!! The consider him to be a good ol boy and the common man.

I'm sorry, but I don't want "The common man" to lead my nation. I want the exceptional individual who is able to think and speak clearly, who is able to think about issues on several differant levels and make an informed inteligent choice.

If Bush had acnolaged his mistake, and had a plan of how to fix it, and it seemed viable. I would listen to him. If he were up front enough to say.. knwo what.. I screwed up, I listened to the wrong people but this is the best way to go to fix things I would consider what he has to say. As it is, I don't trust the slimy scumbag as far as he can secretly have somone else attempt to throw me.

wraith

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Lets keep it civil folks...this isn't the Pit....

I caught that in the way he said "senator" at the end. He sort've spit it out.

Yep...caught that too...

While the substance IS important, also keep in mind that a LOT of communication occurs in body language... That is why things get misinterpreted on the web (absence of body language, tone, volume, inflection, etc.), and that is why I made a point to WATCH this debate vs. read a transcript...
A lot of what the candidates had to say had nothing to do with words, but the sneers, gestures, fumbling, or outright stalling (drinking from an empty glass numerous times, etc.) by the candidates...

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 03:30 PM
link   

In the Marine Corps, we often speak of those Marines who are poster board Marines, who look the part no matter what else they may do, but there are many more fine, honorable, noble and courageous Marines who wouldn't get a second glance on the street. (see below) When it comes to fighting, good looks don't cut it. Kerry is a pretty boy. Bush is a doer. And he did the right thing by taking out Saddam.

Grady... Bush is a doer.. I will give you that.. absolutly right he is a doer. He definalty is not a thinker. Problem is.. almost everything he does is done wrong. He took Sadam out.. yup no arguments there... but he did it wrong. And before you or any one says, well at least he got the job done.
Woudl you be so supportive of a dentist who drilled out a cavity via the back of your skull? Did he get the cavity? Yup.. too bad you suffered a spialcord injury in the process.

I know nothing can be said to change your mind about Kerry, you have clamped onto the anti-Kerry propiganda like a pitbull and you will never let go of that reality reguardless of what you are shown.

I am sure you made an exelent marine, I thank you for your service to this county as I do all those in the military past and present. That includes Kerry, I think he is an intelligent honorable man who honeslty wants to fix the mess Bush put us in. Is he perfect and infalable? No.. noone is. But expecialy after the debate last night, Kerry can get teh job done.

Wraith

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by wraith30
But expecialy after the debate last night, Kerry can get the job done.

Wraith

You know Wraith, it's interesting you brought that up because I remember watching C-Span right before the debate and they were saying even though Kerry has flip-flopped in the past, the debate is really going to matter in determining whether Kerry will be a good leader or not.

[edit on 1-10-2004 by mrmulder]

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by wraith30
...you have clamped onto the anti-Kerry propiganda like a pitbull and you will never let go of that reality reguardless of what you are shown.

Wrong! No one needed to convince me of what Kerry is. I can see that for myself. It saddens me to no end that so many of my countrymen cannot see Kerry for what he is. It actually leaves me with little hope for the nation.

I'm going to make a prediction. If Kerry is elected, his term will be as disasterous as Nixon's was. The left will latch on to him as hard as they have Bush and because he has no spine, he will try to please everyone and in doing so the situation will deteriorate into chaos.

Did you listen to Kerry and what he said about Iran and N. Korea?

I just hope we don't have to find out.

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Loki

First of all, save your condescending tone for your little gay buddies.

What about his big straight buddies? Doncha' think that was a little uncalled for?

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 03:55 PM
link   

VS

=

I know, I know. Its just a harmless fraternity for rich kids

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Wrong! No one needed to convince me of what Kerry is. I can see that for myself. It saddens me to no end that so many of my countrymen cannot see Kerry for what he is. It actually leaves me with little hope for the nation.

Thats very interesting.. I feel the exact same way about Bush.

[Quote]
I'm going to make a prediction. If Kerry is elected his term will be as disasterous as Nixon's was. The left will latch on to him as hard as they have Bush and because he has no spine, he will try to please everyone and in doing so the situation will deteriorate into chaos.

Did you listen to Kerry and what he said about Iran and N. Korea?

Disasterous as Nixon... Interesting.. you mean the disaster of ending VN... the Disaster of opening trade with China and improving relations with the USSR? The disaster of ending the draft possibly? Perhaps you mean the tragic disaster of his meetings with Russian leader Leonid I. Brezhnev that produced a treaty to limit strategic nuclear weapons.

I will agree that Financialy Nixon was a failure.. but nowhere near the level of financial disaster that Bush has created. Nixon was involved with watergate yes, and that was his downfall, yes. Nixon however did accomplish some very good things.

Yes I did hear what he said about NKorea.. having aditional Bi-lateral communications... and the problem is? Wanting to rebuild trust througout Europe so that we can comfortably trust that we will have support in dealing with Iran. Wanting to join the world court so that we too can be held responsible for our actions.. yea. Where is the problem?

Wraith

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join