It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kerry wins the first

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Just out of curriosity ;-) Anyone have any guesses, as to what Bush was trying to draw durring the debate?

Stick figure soldiers "smoking out the enemy" maybe?

I am unsure if televised debates even serve a useful purpose anymore or if they ever did for that matter. Personally I tend to know what the respective Democrat and Republican positions are as they pertain to most if not all the issues. That being said I did watch the debate and turned it off about halfway through, I will watch the rest on tape later I suppose. It gets very tiring hearing the same catch phrases and repeated power words used over and over.

The one thing I did notice in watching about an hour of the debate was that Bush was in a hurry to speak out of turn asking to respond when the rules would not allow him, when he attacked Kerry about the ICC I noticed that Kerry wanted to have an extra retort much the same as Bush had been given a couple times by then. At this moment Jim McLehrer had his face down in the next question to be asked, to Kerry's credit he did not blurt out a request for another thirty seconds of time and let McLehrer ask Bush his next two minute question.

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by RANT

Originally posted by onlyinmydreams
Keep in mind that the next few debates are on social and domestic issues. Bush will have all the advantages when it comes to the social stuff...

On what freaking planet do you live?

You think Bush wins on social? No scratch that. You think ANY Republican wins on social?

Um, which aspect exactly? Is the desire to force rape victims to breed for their attackers by outlawing abortion? Or is it the complete lack of fiscal responsibility? Or is it wrecking Social Security? Or is it Bush's strong stand on the ENVIRONMENT?
How about education? Rising healthcare costs? Refusal to allow drug reimportation? Or maybe you think people are happy about the Patriot Act? Or what exactly?

Do PLEASE tell us how Bush wins on SOCIAL. He BEGGED to have Foreign Policy first (nay REFUSED to debate if it wasn't)!

The debate Bush just LOST was his STRONG SUIT!!!

Oh my God. THAT was funny. Social issues are Bush's strong suit.

Oh wait I remember, he's the one that wanted to amend the Consitution to control marriage?
NOOOOOO, it's the failure to enforce the Assualt Weapons ban supported by 68% of Americans that's his strong suit.

Please don't fool yourself. This was supposed to be Bush's "Ace in the hole" tonight.

H-E L-O-S-T.

Now Kerry can peck away, peck away, peck away til election day.

Women will be coming back in DROVES now to the DEMOCRATIC PARTY when they get a whiff of Bush SOCIAL POLICY!

I hate to break this to you, but something like 70% of Americans support the ban on partial birth abortion. A similar number also are against gay marriage... and even fewer americans support cloning (in case you didn't know this, the Democrats have stalled all attempts to outlaw cloning).

And, when it comes to personal social issues, Kerry has two sides and two consciences. He claims that his conscience has made him a good catholic and that the voters of MA have elected him because of his conscience... and yet he is pro abortion. It follows, then, that he doesn't know what his conscience is actually telling him to do. The only way he DOESN'T conflict with himself is if you buy that his own conscience has nothing to do with his choices... in which case he can be portrayed as a purely calculating person.

And... Bush is more believable as a man of faith. I am NOT saying that religion should be a part of politics. What I AM saying is that most americans are still Christians and Bush is clearly a more convincing Christian (and, no, I am not endorsing the christian faith, here... I'm just pointing out that Bush is more like americans in that very important regard).

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 01:17 AM
link   
I am surprised that no one else caught Kerry's biggest flaw, IMO. He said that we should have waited for NATO to take action on Iraq; we should waid for NATO to take action againse Iran; but, should go it alone against North Korea.

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Disastro
Just out of curriosity ;-) Anyone have any guesses, as to what Bush was trying to draw durring the debate?

I just got an email from a "reliable source," who frequently provides secret documents to "CBS Evening News" and "60 Minutes," who states, on the condition of anonymity, that Bush was actually working the New York Times Sunday crossword puzzle--in ink-- during the debate. Bush reportedly seemed annoyed because Kerry kept interrupting his train of thought. None-the-less, Bush completed the puzzle without error prior to the final statements.

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 01:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by onlyinmydreams
I hate to break this to you...

No worries. I welcome your input. I still say it's "onlyinyourdreams" but we'll see.

Kerry can defend his ideological vote on the PBA easily by stating the alternative is worse. Bush's alternative. Pro-Life, no exceptions. Bush has skated having to admit that too long. He will fall there with a majority of Americans.

It's going to be just like tonights debate or worse. Bush has been in a bubble for 4 years. He thinks he can say things like I'm for the sanctity of life AND for women and leave it open like that to speak to all sides of the issue and straddle a fence.

Not in these debates. His extremism and fiscal failure will be exposed for all to see. Look, he can't run on promising more tax cuts.
And that's all Republicans have on the domestic front. That's it.

Why do you think they paraded moderates all over the RNC? To keep the sorely needed moderate Republican base from fleeing in abject fear of the fundies. I know most American are against gay marriage. So's Kerry/Edwards.
NOT THE ISSUE. It's the Federal mandate and Constitutional pandering that isn't popular with liberals OR traditional conservatives. Neocons aren't popular with ANYBODY. And Bush is a neocon.

No. Bush wanted the Foreign Policy first because that was supposed to be his slam dunk. He's knows he's in trouble with Social issues. He's not in touch with most of America and owned by extremists. He's screwed.

He's really in a pickle even if you don't see it yet. Just watch and see. The upcoming debates are Kerry's strong suits he's been debating 20 years, like the death penalty. Iraq was supposed to be Bush's gig.

Oh and Edwards/Cheney. Please. :shk: Cheney's got a hell of a voting record to talk about yaknow. Against aboriotn even in cases of rape and incest? Against a resolution to free Nelson Mandela? Against any form of gun control including banning platic guns designed to avoid metal detectors? And the Cheney flip flops are damning. The man was all over the Gulf War saying toppling Saddam woul be a mistake. Edwards will have those quotes MEMORIZED. Oh man...you think Kerry was good? Edwards will CRUSH in debate.

PS - HALLIBURTON.

No. Bush/Cheney are trying to figure a way out of these debates now. I assure you.

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Just on a side note, media in Europe reports Kerry as the undisputed winner of the debate. In Sweden it's hard to find a single positive judgement on Bush's performance. Wish I could have seen the clash

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 02:46 AM
link   
Tonight's debate was greatly anticipated, but in my opinion failed to live up to the hype.

Kerry seemed no stranger to the debate podium and was clear and exact about his points and appeared very well informed of Bush's political flaws. In typical Democrat fashion Kerry promised many wonderful things, an end to the war, countries coming together to help solve the world's problems

Bush did not look good, but contrary to Kerry's beliefs, politics is not about big hair and a good tan. There is a lot of talk on this thread about Bush's seconds of silence, I think the shots of him while Kerry is speaking are the most important silences. Bush appears visibly perturbed, often greatly annoyed, and on more than one occasion couldn't wait to rebuke Kerry's condemnations. He seemed to me to be quite adamant in what he believes. Bush seemed to be a bit slow because we've all heard where he stands on every topic so many times it's lost all it's meaning. I hope no one expected Bush to suddenly change his stance, to now be against the war in Iraq, to suddenly be supporting same sex marriage.

Kerry on the other hand seems to have an endless reserve of new plans and ideas. *cough*flip flop*cough*

Bush did make one damning point over and over again that was never addressed by Kerry. How does Kerry propose to pay for all these promises, how does he plan to get countries, who were against the war, to help us with rebuilding Iraq? Kerry was offering perfect answers to complicated problems. Granted, Iraq is quickly becoming a big mistake, but if Kerry wins, it will be his mistake to handle. Viewed through Republican eyes, Kerry has no plan, but Kerry feels he can win based on his years as a senator and his campaign reflects that. Senators don't need a plan, they just need pretty words and good connections. However, to "fix Bush's errors" he's going to need one hell of a plan

I'd like to restate what was said before about the American people's stance on issues such as abortion. A vast majority of the American populous is just like Bush, Kerry would know this if he ever came out of his upper crust collegiate bubble. Most of America is average Joes and Janes, they eat at McDonalds, they watch sitcoms and their vacations do not usually constitute ski trips to the Alps. Their votes still count though. Those polls on who won the election are skewed, statistics lie, the average viewer will either see the debates as boring or get the abridged version in their morning paper. The only people who would watch the debate and actually formulate an opinion as to the outcome based off the technicalities of the debate process are probably not your average American citizen. The point of this is, that Kerry may have won the debate, but the votes decide who becomes president. Debate:Kerry Election: Bush

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 05:18 AM
link   
Before I get into my points I must add that the Gay Marriage amendment failed to pass.

Moving on. This was the debate to watch, the others really don't matter, with the exception of Cheney/Edwards Happyfest next week. It is a done deal because of the coverage involved. All of the networks were showing the full thing and so was every cable/sat news channel. The estimated audience was around 70 million and maybe a tenth of that will concentrate on the next debates.

First impressions count. Kerry came off as an articulate well informed gentleman willing to make his point but listen to others.

George came off as an ordinary guy out of his depth. The pauses were cringeworthy.

I felt Kerry somehow busted Bush up in the very first statement. He deliberately took the advantage and did "Mr Nice Guy" talking about the Hurricane and how he's praying for Floridians, then he moved onto his question and answered it well with seconds to spare. Bush appeared riled and quickly attempted to cover.

Mr Average Guy isn't cutting it anymore. Leadership is required.

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 06:51 AM
link   

First impressions count. Kerry came off as an articulate well informed gentleman willing to make his point but listen to others.

George came off as an ordinary guy out of his depth. The pauses were cringeworthy..........................

Mr Average Guy isn't cutting it anymore. Leadership is required.

My thoughts exactly, and I DID cringe! and wince!

Did you see the Daily Show afterwards? When they said Bush came off as being "borderline retarded" (they were joking), I just lost it!

Towards the end of the debate, I cracked my wife up...

Bush was talking, and I said each line of his response BEFORE HE DID!!!

It was THAT repetitive...

"It's the wrong message to our troops, It's the wrong message to our allies, It's the wrong message to the Iraqis"
I said each line BEFORE he did!

Kerry won hands down....and went up a notch in my book (despite that armor comment, which Kerry voted against...but Bush is a bigger fool for not pouncing on it...) Bush came off like the stammering idiot we know him to be (and still can't pronounce "nukular", hehe...).

EDIT: Can't wait to see the Edwards/Cheney debate....Cheney's going to get OWNED, hehe.....

[edit on 1-10-2004 by Gazrok]

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 07:19 AM
link   
I though it was funny Bush said "The american people decide when to go to war." then right after that he said, "I decided to go to war in Iraq because..." I'm ashamed he is my president, he represents us all and makes such a fool of himself.

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 07:25 AM
link   
George W. Bush is a Twerp.

John F. Kerry is langerous and thoughtful.

If you like cutsey doo doo. You like Bush.

If you want someone thoughtful. You want Kerry.

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Even though the debate seemed to last forever, and BUSH said many many words, he kept repeating TWO things. These are the only two things he said the whole night.

1. I want to dominate the world, please call me Napoleon. (his actual words were along the lines of "A world leader needs to have strong resolve, and I believe I am that world leader")

and

2. I have nothing to say so I will call Kerry a woman because it is easier to do than thinking of something to say cause everything else I say will be a lie. (his actual words were along the lines of "A world leader (see number one) needs to be consistent in his thinking. The only thing consistenent about my opponent is his inconsistency.")

So with this in mind, it seems to me that Kerry (even though I hate the bastard as much or more than I hate Shrub Boy) won the debate. He had a lot more to say and was a bit more methodical and thought provoking. Any talking head can get up there and repeat the same anser for nearly every question.

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Indeed Gaz, the entire thing was hilarious from start to end.

I don't like *awkward silences* so i was physically cringing when he was pausing. I didn't manage to see the daily show because we don't get comedy central, however i'll see it tomorrow night as CNNInternational broadcasts it at weekends.

You know, I actually feel sorry for him. He looked so small and stupid.

Kerry was Kennedy, Bush was Nixon.

up next...TERRA! TERRA TERRA TERRA! Apocalypse! Asteroids! Jesus dressed as Streisand!

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 07:33 AM
link   
like a drugged up idiot last night. With all of his duh's uh's and well's it was not in control at all and I kept waiting for someone to throw the stupid chimp a banana.

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 07:43 AM
link   
One of the funniest Daily Show bits....

John Stewart: (looking at a clip of Kerry writing during Bush speaking) As you can see, Kerry is furiously writing something while Bush speaks....let's see what it is....

(they go to a zoom of the writing..."I am SO crushing him...")

I am surprised that no one else caught Kerry's biggest flaw, IMO. He said that we should have waited for NATO to take action on Iraq; we should waid for NATO to take action againse Iran; but, should go it alone against North Korea.

He said we should have bi-latteral TALKS...hardly the same as going it alone militarily... One things for sure, Bush's plan ISN'T working (whatever that is), as North Korea announced they have now made weapons from their nuclear materials, and could have as many as 8 nukes ready to go....

[edit on 1-10-2004 by Gazrok]

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Kerry won hands down....and went up a notch in my book (despite that armor comment, which Kerry voted against...but Bush is a bigger fool for not pouncing on it...)

No doubt that Bush missed an opportunity to "pounce" on the armor comment. Had he addressed that vote at that time in response to the armor, or phrased it differnetly after the next question, Kerry would have never had the chance to give the "which is worse" line.

I watched the late night reruns of the debate, just to see what I missed after I stopped paying complete attention.

One thing I missed was the answer to the very next question (after the armor comment) where he said something to the effect that when he saw errors he tries to fix them. The irony of my earlier observation made me laugh.

But to critique:

Kerry had varied "rhetoric lines". Bush didn't have as many prepared.
Points go to Kerry for preparing "prepackaged zingers".

Because Kerry had more than a handful of prepackaged lines, he was not as redundant as Bush.
Points go to Kerry for properly using "prepackaged zingers".

Honestly, I do not doubt Kerry "won" the debate.

However, I am left with an issue that goes beyond the armor issue.

I agree with Kerry that more attention should have been (should be) given to North Korea. However, I have no doubts that the "hardline" that Kerry was talking would have led to war. Mind you, this was a big "what if" scenario. While it is pretty obvious that bilateral talks would not have succeeded any more (or less) than the multilateral talks going on now, the "will not allow" attitude could have only been enforced one way. That enforcement would be guaranteed to escalate into a situation that had no viable exit strategy.

I have to wonder if Kerry thought through the "rhetoric" he was applying to that "If I was in charge" scenario.

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Bush may have lost the debate last night, but there was one point that he made that i have been saying for a while now. It's evident that while Kerry disagrees with the war, the reasons for the war, and the way the war has been fought, he is still going to keep soldiers there and finish out the war. Or at least he won't be pulling anyone out anytime soon. And even if he does pull soldiers out, he has admitted that he will replace them with a fresh batch of soldiers (cough cough...DRAFT). So, with all the bashing of this war, how can he expect the soldiers of this war and the military leaders to respect him and fight for him?

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Groupies:

The "Debate" last night was WAAAAAAY too narrow in terms of topic coverage for any meaningful discussion on US-International relations or some hard facts concerning the "Phoney War on Terror":

Notice: There was hardly a whisper of the word "ISRAEL" all night: and absolutely no mention of Israel's continued illegal building of settlements in Occupied Palestine (Gaza, East Jerusalem, the West Bank) or of the "Wall" encroaching on Palestinian farmland or the fact that Ariel Sharon basically told the US to "stick their ROAD MAP where the Sun Don't Shine" --yet no threat to cut off the $12 Billion US tax payer dollars we give that tiny rogue nation every year...

To say nothing of the International Condemnation the US has been facing for more than 20 years as an UNEVEN BROKER in the Middle East, with the US acting more like Israel's little WHORE than the last remaining Super Power in the world.

Of course mentioning "Israel" in any national debate is taboo in the US these days-----and that whole "can of worms" might well have brought up the "uncomfortable fact" of Kerry's REAL LAST NAME (Kohn) and that his paternal grandfather (Fritz Kohn) was (Ashkenazi) Jewish who converted to Catholicism, then quietly changed his name to the very Irish-goyim sounding "Kerry", then commited suicide in Boston in 1921... but I digress.

The whole so called "debate" last night was a heavilly scripted light and shadow Show for the Masses---both "candidates" are members of the ultra elitist-secretive Yale "Skull & Bones" Society----a fact which suggests the differences between the two ---Tweedle Dumb and Tweedle Dumber----are only cosmetic.

Can anyone say "CORPORATE WHORES?"

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
I didn't watch the debate, because I was working on something, but I listend quite intently, so the visual impact has no meanng to me. I have heard all the pundits speak about what they saw and heard and I can't dispute that.

Well, Grady, you should have watched it, since the "visual" effects were extremely important. Of course, Bush looked so pathetic, so desperate and irritated...just what I expected of him.

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 08:06 AM
link   
I watched the debate last night and a few things struck me:

1) Kerry is very eloquent and despite his two obvious faux pas (the Treblinka one - not very clever one to make, and the NY subway closure) he seemed really prepared for the debate, which to him appears to mean attack your opponent whilst being vague about your intent. In most cases- he appeared to be offensive to his opponent rather than show that he would be superior in the role as President of the United States.

2) It is easy to find fault with the work of someone who is already doing the work. It's more difficult to find fault with someone who has all the answers but has never done the job - in this case as President. I think John Kerry's record in congress sucks lemons, yet Bush stayed respectful.

3) Although there were potentially so many ad hominem attacks that Bush could have launched at John Kerry in retaliation, he chose to be the bigger man and address his points and discuss the topics.

4) I noticed that Bush was shocked and frequently outraged by the things Kerry was saying. It was pretty obvious that he was either peeved or had a headache.

In conclusion my take on the debate is Kerry won the battle and lost the war. I believe he came across as a weak intellectual who would try to fix the hole in the roof with words.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join