It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

May 20th 2012 Annular Solar Eclipse

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Should be starting in a couple hours.
Watch it live here.
Slough space cam

Find out what time in your area.
Click on map in link.
Link to timezones

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by proob4

www.ustream.tv...
here you go live in chillie

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by proob4

Yea, maybe for you lucky ones on the West Coast. I'm not gonna see any of it here in Virginia. Another non-day here. Guess whose getting shiftaced tonight.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by SubPop79
reply to post by proob4

Yea, maybe for you lucky ones on the West Coast. I'm not gonna see any of it here in Virginia. Another non-day here. Guess whose getting shiftaced tonight.

It's not just the west coast, it's basically everything west of the Mississippi river.

Let me know how it taced lol...ew

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Im soooo confused. Lol.

Will I see it in Tennessee between 730 and 8? Thats what Im thinking but another site said at four...which has already passed. Right now its cloudy with storms off and on today so far.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   
For All of those in the San Diego area it's starting at 5:28 and it peaks at 6:45.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
www.ustream.tv... its a good one here

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

I don't think you are going to be able to see it in Tennesee?
You might catch the beginning of it? IDK

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by haven123

Yea that was a really good show. I thought it looked real good, expecially when the clouds came in. Looked so omnious.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 01:45 AM
link   
Any video from SOHO/STEREO/?

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by CityFarmer

SOHO and STEREO are not near the earth, so they will not see this eclipse. Those spacecrafts' point-of-view relationship between themselves, the Moon, and the Sun is different than for the people on Earth who can see this.

In fact, not everyone on Earth even has the proper vantage point to see the Moon get in front of the Sun.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People

SOHO and STEREO are not near the earth, so they will not see this eclipse. Those spacecrafts' point-of-view relationship between themselves, the Moon, and the Sun is different than for the people on Earth who can see this.

In fact, not everyone on Earth even has the proper vantage point to see the Moon get in front of the Sun.

Thank you I didn't realize STEREO and SOHO were so far from earth
Thought they were more like huge zooming lenses.

Peace

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People

Thank you I didn't realize STEREO and SOHO were so far from earth
Thought they were more like huge zooming lenses.

Peace

The location of SOHO is still relatively closer to the Earth than to the Sun, and the two STEREO spacecraft (even though the two STEREO spacecraft are far from Earth) orbit the Sun at about the same distance that the Earth orbits -- about 93 million miles. Because they are far from the Sun.

Therefore, both SOHO and STEREO still have telescopic optics that give them a "zoomed" image of the Sun.

SOHO is very close to the earth (about 1 Million miles from Earth, but over 90 Million miles from the Sun), but is still outside the orbit of the Moon, so it would never see an eclipse (i.e., the moon would never get between it and the Sun). SOHO orbits around the Sun near the L1 "Lagrangian Point".

Lagrangian points:
www.esa.int...
en.wikipedia.org...

SOHO's Orbit:

The two STEREO spacecraft orbit the Sun along two points that are relatively close to the path along which the Earth orbits the Sun. They, too, are well outside the orbit of the Moon, so the Moon can never get between them and the Sun.

Here is a website that will show you the locations of STEREO A and B on a specific date:
stereo-ssc.nascom.nasa.gov...

Here's a video that shows the locations of the two STEREO spacecraft from their launch to their projected locations up to 2019:

edit on 5/30/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: speeelling

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
To clarify my post above:

there was a time after launch of the STEREO spacecraft that they were close enough to the earth-Moon system that the moon could get between one of them and the Sun. In fact this happened to the STEREO B early in 2007, as seen in this image:
www.nasa.gov...

The Moon was far enough away from the spacecraft that it looked smaller relative to the Sun, rather than just about the same size as the Sun as seen from Earth.

new topics

top topics

join