It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Helium shortage a ballooning issue

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by fixer1967

How do you see the use of balloons in Afghanistan as being related?

apart from the obvious fact that they probably use helium - why would the US military want to be paying more for the helium??

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul

How do you see the use of balloons in Afghanistan as being related?

apart from the obvious fact that they probably use helium - why would the US military want to be paying more for the helium??

Yes they use helium. They are not paying anything for it, WE are. Every thing there is a shortage of any thing the US military uses it gets locked up and they get first say in it use. If you can not see the tie in with balloons and the helium then I am sorry. There would still be a helium shortage with or without the balloons. I am just saying they make it worse and they get first say as to the use of the remaining helium.

So what is going to be used in party balloons, propane?

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Yes they use it, yes they get first dibs, yes the taxpayer pays for it.....I just don't see how it ties into any sort of conspiracy or anything....so I'm not sure what you are driving at.

As for party balloons - there's still plenty of hydrogen around, and it's much more exciting!

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Must be frustrating having a shortage of it, especially considering that Helium is the 2nd most abundant element in the known universe.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

Conspiracy? There is no conspiracy here. It just they way it is. Not every thing is a conspiracy. It is simple supply and demand.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pervius
Earth has a helium shortage.

No, it's all over the place. There is NO shortage of Helium on Earth or anywhere. In fact it is the second most abundant element in the observable universe. (that's lots)

It's humans that have the shortage.

edit on 20/5/2012 by nerbot because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by fixer1967
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

Conspiracy? There is no conspiracy here. It just they way it is. Not every thing is a conspiracy. It is simple supply and demand.

Sorry - I got the impression you thought there was something dodgy about the situation - my mistake.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 05:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Daedal

people generally have shortage intelligence

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Whateva69
. Helium is mined. There may be other sources but I learned from the newspaper that helium was being tapped underground. I guess I never thought about it.Look at the geological surveys .

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Daedal

I found this story because my neighbor who works at a local nursery and gardening center, asked me today if I knew anything about a helium shortage. He told me that " at his job they were told by a local gas supplier for the area that helium can no longer be bought because the government is buying it all up."

You know it is interesting. I was at my local dollar store today, which has a section that sells balloons. They fill them up for you with helium... I walked past that section and noticed a big sign saying they cannot sell any more balloons because they are out of helium.

It could be a coincidence...But I just wanted to mention that. I have never seen a store out of helium...And I have heard about helium shortages. It seems to be brought up every year around Thanksgiving...Because of the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade and all the balloons...

They always seem to find plenty for them though...

So, I don't know... I have just heard there is a helium shortage...I have not heard that it is being bought up by the government though.

I would be more likely to assume there is just a lack of supply at the moment...Supply and demand...But who knows.
edit on 21-5-2012 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Daedal

I found this story because my neighbor who works at a local nursery and gardening center, asked me today if I knew anything about a helium shortage. He told me that " at his job they were told by a local gas supplier for the area that helium can no longer be bought because the government is buying it all up."

as you will have read by now, the opposite it actually what is happening - the US Govt is selling off helium from it's stockpile, which was over $1.4 billion in debt.

As a result prices have fallen, due to everyone knowing that there was plenty being offered, but are now rebounding since most of the stockpile has been sold (as I understand it), and so "normal" supply and demand is in effect.

Probably any local shortage is due to local suppliers not being willing to face increasing prices.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   
hmmmm... well, if I wanted to look at possible conspiracy theories, I'd go with "weapons" of some sort on this one even though we rarely think of it being used in destructive ways. It can be used to cool certain metals for superconductive magnetics which could be used in some of the new technology that's being produced. It could be anything from HAARP to CERN where uses would be needed as well. The field is wide open, but Helium is the best and easiest thing to use as coolant without posing other threats due to its stability. That would make it very much in demand if some "new tech" gadget that the government wants to use is based on superconductors which has been the "new direction" for a lot of research lately.

I could be way off, but that's my "first guess" as far as conspiratorial type things go.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Foppezao
Doesn't the Moon have lots of helium? Wasn't shell and others planning to excavate that?
edit on 20-5-2012 by Foppezao because: (no reason given)

yup, it's actually the second most abundant element in the universe, but only 0.00052% of elements on Earth. Getting it from space, the moon, mars, etc, would be the most plentiful places, but also the most challenging places. ...and of course helium is needed for space flights in cooling of the hydrogen based rocket fuels so they would have to use helium to get helium, which could be another reason for the "stockpiling" that someone mentioned.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by chardonnay
reply to post by Whateva69
. Helium is mined. There may be other sources but I learned from the newspaper that helium was being tapped underground. I guess I never thought about it.Look at the geological surveys .

Yup, there's a percentage of it contained in the natural gas deposits that are tapped into

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by nerbot

Originally posted by Pervius
Earth has a helium shortage.

No, it's all over the place. There is NO shortage of Helium on Earth or anywhere. In fact it is the second most abundant element in the observable universe. (that's lots)

It's humans that have the shortage.

edit on 20/5/2012 by nerbot because: (no reason given)

Second in the universe, but not second on Earth, it makes up only about 0.00052% of our elements on this planet

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 11:57 PM
link   
found this too

www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 12:18 AM
link   
the problem is chronic miss-management

we have always known that helium is a finite resource

but the world still wants party balloons and the stupid balloons they realease at events

a ban on frivolous applications would be a big start to managing helium , also asking the basic question - do you need helium ? ie can argon , nitrogen or another product be used insted ??

for some applications helium is the only product that either can be used , or is practical

but as such applications as weather ballons [ for meterorolgical experiments ] are only used by qualified and trained technicians - could hydrogen be subsituted ? it would certainly allow higher payload or smaller envelope

yes - its an extremely hazardous gas - but its used in scores of applications / industries safley - as long as correct procedures are observed

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by fixer1967
Any one see a link here?

Just saying it does make sense

Super link.
Lets see if we can put this together.
Helium is a free energy fuel.
There is a great source of Helium from alpha decay that picks up electrons
free of charge and all the elite need are radioactive waste storage the government
pays for.
So elite cartels sell the Helium back to the government for balloons that will hide
the UFO ship that are doing the monitoring that Tesla proposed before WWI.

I shall try that thread, thanks.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedal

There is a lot of helium on the moon from what I hear......

So when is this crusade to mine the moon about to begin?? You know those kids need balloons!!

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Could this be the answer to the Helium shortage?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

'football field' size surveillance dirigible developed for the US military

peace
J

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join