It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Helium shortage a ballooning issue

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Helium shortage a ballooning issue

triblive.com

The Senate Committee on Energy and Natural Resources met last week to discuss solutions and a bill sponsored by Sens. Jeffrey Bingaman, D-N.M. and John Barrasso, D-Wyo., to change how the government sells helium from the reserve.

"If Congress doesn't act, the helium program will disappear all together in less than three years, leaving our hospitals, national labs, domestic manufacturers and helium producers without an adequate supply," Bingaman said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
abcnews.go.com
www.redorbit.com

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I found this story because my neighbor who works at a local nursery and gardening center, asked me today if I knew anything about a helium shortage. He told me that " at his job they were told by a local gas supplier for the area that helium can no longer be bought because the government is buying it all up."

So I'm not quite sure how this will affect things but I'm sure it probably has downfalls for businesses who depend on it. Anyone else know anything about this?

triblive.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Sounds like the Government wants to run a monopoly on Helium sales...
I highly doubt there is a shortage.
Just another sham.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   
What department of the government is buying it?
public hospitals? defence? who ?, then it will be a question of why

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   

What department of the government is buying it? public hospitals? defence? who ?, then it will be a question of why
reply to post by Daedal

this again and again

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   
We really need to rethink using a gas that there is a finite supply of, that has important industrial properties; the rethink is probably that we shouldn't use it in party balloons.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedal

My friend couldn't buy a mother's day balloon for her mom last weekend. The discount store she went to told her there was a helium shortage. Pretty weird.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I really dunno as this is something I was told as a kid and never cared to look into it but...
Helium only happens in the US or only for the major part.
If anyone knows or cares to investigate, to confirm or deny what I say.
I heard that since the US was the only place where helium occurs, it was illegal to sell to other countries without approval, this is why hydrogen was used in dirigibles and why the hindenburg went boom.
Nowadays I imagine a fleet of dirigibles would not be a threat however.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

That proscription was quite a long time ago - between WW1 & WW2

the US has traditionally produced most of the world's helium, but as prices rise production is shifting to other places - wiki article on extraction and production

Basically it is a by product from natural gas extraction, so is available almost everywhere that NG is produced - but in varying concentrations - I think the US's advantage was in having a higher concentration than elsewhere.

Note too that the stockpile started to be reduced as far back as 1996.
edit on 20-5-2012 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Well I have to admit my ignorance on helium. I had no idea it was that hard to come-by. I just assumed it was created in a lab environment. I feel a bit ashamed that I was not more aware of helium being that hard to get or how it was produced.

Raist

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
The government is maybe buying it all up for a possible false flag alien invasion.

All those flying saucers need to stay up somehow.

OR:

Helium is used in cryogenics (its largest single use, absorbing about a quarter of production)

Wikipedia - Helium

What are they freezing?
edit on 20/5/2012 by nerbot because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   
There is a monopoly on gasses. You need big bucks to build a plant. At one point it was hard to get oxygen when the war started. They don't plan ahead and there is no competition to force them to.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Doesn't the Moon have lots of helium? Wasn't shell and others planning to excavate that?
edit on 20-5-2012 by Foppezao because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedal

Commercial divers (saturation) use this, they have to utilise helium reclaimation systems otherwise it would be gone even quicker...!

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Personally I think using helium for party balloons is a waist of a very useful and important element that can and will run out.

It's non renewable and is used in many medical devices and who knows what else.

But that's my personal opinion.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Earth has a helium shortage. America's got the largest source of helium (from natural gas) and Congress has been selling it hyper cheap and wants their stockpile sold off by 2015.

After 2015 we could charge LOTS for Helium, but we could only produce it for maybe 20-30 years before we consume our entire Natural Gas sources.

Maybe Congress decided to start charging Premium Prices this year.
Congress screwed us when they undersold our Helium.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Isn't Helium a forever fuel to the Papp Engine people.
It is a shame to waste Helium.
When all the coal and oil is gone the elite will still have their Helium engines
to fly around the world. Well like they do now 24/7 under the radar.
No radiator required, Helium recoils from the Tesla coil spark in a never ending cycle.
Yeah something is up and its a free energy roundup by the elite.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   
As 2015 approaches the stock pile is due to be sold off to private buyers to save the government the cost of storing it. As the end of the stockpile sell off approaches the buyers are getting more desperate for a supply and this hording is driving up the price. It has been artificially low for more than 1.5 decades as the government was dumping the strategic reserves driving down the price. What this shortage is being caused by is the fight for the remaining reserve. The Earth constantly creates Helium from nuclear decay. Alpha decay is the release of helium so some of that will always end up in natural gas fields near areas that have natural uranium in the near by rock strata.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Any one see a link here?

Just saying it does make sense

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join