It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WHY do YouTube videos freeze on me???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Hellllp I'M FED UP God d**n it. Nearly every time I try to watch any youtube video it stops and that middle circle thing circles, then it goes for 2 seconds then stops for about 3 minutes again.
I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING I CAN THINK OF BUT I am also not computer savvy.
WTF is wrong???????????????

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Same thing happens to me... i've looked into it but it seems as if its the internet provider causeing the problems

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Saucerwench

How old is your computer?
Youtube is a resource hogger and takes up a lot of ram & cpu.
For instance my dinosaur laptop has 250 mb ram & 1.5 ghz cpu.
My computer would blow up if I went on youtube.
Also, depending how fast your internet service is...
It will only be able to Show you the video as fast as it can stream it.
edit on 20-5-2012 by GmoS719 because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-5-2012 by GmoS719 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Well I have this little Acer Aspire laptop Microsoft Windows XP. I bought it in 2008 and have that sucky AT&T provider.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Prolly flash issue.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   
its trafik on my end for only 2 hours of the day...update,defrag,disk clean up,scan tron the uninvited

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Saucerwench
Well I have this little Acer Aspire laptop Microsoft Windows XP. I bought it in 2008 and have that sucky AT&T provider.

What model is the Acer Aspire? So I can look up the specs...
Do you have the cheapest internet provided by them?

I'm not sure you want to go this route, but I installed a different (FREE) operating system on my laptop because windows xp uses way too much resources. You can still keep both Windows & (SliTaz is what I installed) and choose which one to load when you start your computer in case you want to do something windows specific such as netflix. I can help you through the process. All I know is that it basically brought my computer back to life.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   
My old computer, my moms computer (which is old) and my brothers all did the same thing.

I suspect if it is not an internet connection issue it is a ram problem. Not enough ram to run properly on the www these days.

I don't know if that is the problem, but I suspect it is.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I have the same problem, now and then. Your pc does play a big part, and of course you internet provider/line. But, i have a brand new laptop and my lines are quick, and at times it still freezes. I have come to my own conclusion, many people watching the same video, or my provider is lacking at that certain time.

I just refresh it most times.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
While I was having the video problems, I was sitting somewhere with my laptop where it was running on it's own, "wireless". Well, I (begrudgingly) took it over to where I have it sitting plugged into electricity, and now the YouTube experience is pretty smooth. So it seems that this can be compared to when I used to have a small handheld TV versus a transistor radio, both running on double A batteries. The TV always ran out of power fast, where as the radio can go for almost ever. Even though my computer is fully charged, it is -weak- when it is unplugged.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Now that you mention it, it's been happening to my pc for a few days on. Maybe solar storms.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   

It most probably is not your computer, go here Megapath and select any of the cities listed.
This will test your upload and download speed.
You will most probably see that your speed is fine.
What I do when youtube videos do this to me is I reduce the resolution from the general 360p to 240p.
The selection tool is at the bottom right of the screen and it is the little cog/gear this should work.
Hope it helps

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
GmoS719 told me that youtube is a resource and ram hogger, which I never knew before. So thats why my vids jumped back to life when I plugged it back into the AC I guess? But I wonder why when fully charged, the thing is weak, wireless. Maybe like others have posted, it's my computer it'self, which is likely.
Is there solar activity occurring now?

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Saucerwench
GmoS719 told me that youtube is a resource and ram hogger, which I never knew before. So thats why my vids jumped back to life when I plugged it back into the AC I guess? But I wonder why when fully charged, the thing is weak, wireless. Maybe like others have posted, it's my computer it'self, which is likely.
Is there solar activity occurring now?

Solar flares isn't the problem, it would cause problems across the board, not just youtube.
I asked what model is your aspire so I could look up the specs for you.
There is two possible reasons...
Your computer hardware is insufficient.
OR
Your Internet speed is insufficient.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by GmoS719

This is why I suggest reducing resolution, it is not prettier but it gets the job done usually.
I usually get slow speeds 3-6 pm weekdays....comcast... so that's what I do when needed.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by g146541
reply to post by GmoS719

This is why I suggest reducing resolution, it is not prettier but it gets the job done usually.
I usually get slow speeds 3-6 pm weekdays....comcast... so that's what I do when needed.

Yeah that would help.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Its because your computer is groggy and slow, I have a sloution, it'll take you around 2 hours, 95% success rate:

Go through your software, delete anything that is not actually needed.
Make sure your using an efficient browser that is light on your memory, I use fifefox.
Download Malwarebytes, install and run, the best anti malware product out there!

Have patience. You can do a quick scan cuz its reliable either way, takes bout 1-2 hours first time round.
Download hitman pro and run that for a second opinion afterwards, it really is a hit man, its a trial but take part!

Then you need decent firewall and anti virus programmes, use commodo, firewall and anti virus, just download and save.

Delete all mainstream anti virus programmes u have they are trash.

If improvements aren't seen by then, you could use a defrag, or u need to upgrade your ram.

Keep an eye on CPU usage and ram, if its high, you need ram, or evasive action as stated above.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   

update your vid card

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 01:22 AM
link   
I fought this issue for months, and this is what i have found out.

Do you have DSL? If so, try replacing the little filter your phone line(from modem) plugs into. Those things go bad easily and randomly and often. Don't know why. Also try not to plug in a phone on that filter.

I also had a bad modem router combo, now I use a bridged modem with a linksys router. If you don't know how to set all that up, Well, good luck to you. Google is your friend! I have self taught all my PC knowledge and anything you don't know, search it!

Another thing is, once you have it up and running check your ping and speed(up and down) I didn't think a slow ping would cause problems, but it will. You may be getting your full speed, with a ping that's crazy.(lower ping speed is better- mine is about 40milliseconds when my connection is good- over 300 ms when bad)

Time of day also plays a part, if everyone on your provider is watching movies at once, your'e gonna have a bad time. Mine is usually slow between 6-10pm because everyone is on at that time(sucks-right in my prime gaming time!-Battlefield 3)

Good luck!

new topics

top topics

join