It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Touch-Screen or Mouse and Keyboard...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   
So with the not-so-new technology of the touch-screen interface becoming more and more familiar to us, which animal do you prefer or find yourself using most?

I myself am a casual gamer and music composer. Doing either of these things with a touch screen seems like it would be nearly impossible to be able to navigate with, or at least be a slight hindrance while gaming, depending on the game I suppose. In my opinion I can see where touch screens are beneficial for phones, I don't think anyone would want to hook a keyboard and mouse up to their phone to access information. Maybe I'm a bit lackadaisical, but I would find it uncomfortable and awkward to keep both arms and hands lifted up to constantly touch a screen to execute commands, that to me serves no purpose, except maybe sore shoulders. I like my arms resting on the desk and keyboard rest.

At any rate, I just thought it would be interesting to get others replies to the above question and a reason why one prefers what they do...

Peace,

Frank

e.t.a. Mods please move, sorry...
edit on 5/20/2012 by Frank_Rizzo because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Well, they all take their place.
Gaming = mouse and keyboard for sure. touch screen doesn't work at all for most games (unless its like a puzzle or something). console controls suck (I don't care what you say console fans...it sucks, period..deal with it).

But, touch screens certainly have their uses. most future sci-fi show heavy use of touch screens for business and technical purposes, and I would certainly agree that in those situations, (pulling up many files and swapping) it is preferable.

But, a completely keyboard/mouse free computer...I wouldn't buy it. (unless it was for a very specific function...a "everything" computer..no, that won't do at all.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Wow, I clicked on here, as I thought this was going to be one hell of an interesting metorphorical argument !

Oh well, I guess I better just answer the question......

Definitely not into touch screen so much, as I find it fiddley

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I don't even like my touch screen phone. Too many fingerprints = nasty.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Frank_Rizzo

There's nothing that matches the tactile feel of your fingers hitting keys on a keyboard. I don't use a mouse at all, I use a trackball, as it much more ergonomically comfortable.

The touchscreen is awesome for a smartphone, but you simply can't type the same as a "real" keyboard.

However, if they develop a laptop with a touchscreen keyboard, I would keep an open mind and try to adapt.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I wouldn't want a touchscreen on my laptop. I have an iPad and if I set it on the stand like a laptop it's a pain to use the touchscreen for more than a second. It's a weird angle for my wrists. Holding it like a book it's fine, but you couldn't do that with a regular laptop or computer.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Frank_Rizzo

Mouse and keyboard. Allows more control, and form versus function is a very useful concept to keep in mind.

Think about everyday gameplay. Which is going to be more convenient in the long run? I've used touch-screens, and they get very dirty, plus need constant maintenance, not to mention going crazy if I accidentally do something wrong.

Old-fashioned is sometimes better...just use modern pieces for old-fashioned techniques.

But in the end, it's your choice.

edit on CSundaypm585803f03America/Chicago20 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join