It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Email for Windows 7?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   
I have Windows Live Mail, but I don't like the suggested solution of using the People page of the Windows Live contact list to serve as an Address Book for my email. There's the option of downloading separate software for an Address Book, but I'm wondering whether I could close the Windows Live Mail account and replace it with something else that would give me everything in one package. I want to make sure I will also have an icon for email for the Task Bar that will show me that I have unread email and sound a tone when the message arrives.

Does anyone know of email software that I've described?

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Outlook express does that all right?

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Not sure exactly about your description of windows live mail. The contacts management is built in. Same program on my computer. Same with the Calender.
If you click those links in windows live and it opens another window, Is that the problem?

I am using windows live mail 2011 for example.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by BigBruddah

I can't put Outlook Express on my computer with Windows 7, can I?

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by staple

Let's see. I have Windows Live Mail 2011. My understanding is that it's part of Windows Live Essentials, and that it replaces Windows Mail. I didn't have Windows Mail on my old computer. I had Windows XP and Outlook Express.

Anyway, I don't like what I read to do to set up an Address Book. It said to use my online contact list, and when I started out doing that, it prompted me to send a friend request to the person I wanted to add to my Address Book! Like Facebook. I think that's hilarious. I don't want to do that.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
I just discovered by accident that Constant Guard that I got from my internet service provider Comcast XFINITY has email "XFINITY Connect" with an address book. I just sent a message to myself and the Windows Live Mail icon and sound let me know. Now, I'll just figure out if I can get an icon and sound to populate from XFINITY Connect.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I have Windows Live Mail 2011 and on the left pane, below the "sent" and "received" (or whatever they are called in the English version), I have a list with "Mail", "Calendar", "Contacts", "Feeds" and "Newsgroups", so I don't understand what's your problem.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

I stated my problem:

Originally posted by Mary Rose
Anyway, I don't like what I read to do to set up an Address Book. It said to use my online contact list, and when I started out doing that, it prompted me to send a friend request to the person I wanted to add to my Address Book! Like Facebook. I think that's hilarious. I don't want to do that.

But I like the solution I've posted.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Mary Rose

I just have to select the address book and click on the first button on the button bar, it doesn't ask for anything.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   

I have Windows Live Mail, but I don't like the suggested solution of using the People page of the Windows Live contact list to serve as an Address Book for my email. There's the option of downloading separate software for an Address Book, but I'm wondering whether I could close the Windows Live Mail account and replace it with something else that would give me everything in one package. I want to make sure I will also have an icon for email for the Task Bar that will show me that I have unread email and sound a tone when the message arrives.

Does anyone know of email software that I've described?

It sounds like Mozilla Thunderbird might be something for you to look into - I've been using it for years to manage my Yahoo! and Gmail accounts, and I think it's got a standalone address book included so you don't have to rely on contacts in your existing email provider's account online.

It's also pretty customizable (basically the Firefox of email clients) with all sorts of apps and skins. I've never had any problems and always enjoyed using it, and it's got tray notifications that you're looking for.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

Are you using contacts already established as friends in Facebook, or something like that?

The reason I'm asking is that I was very surprised that when I kept getting rejected setting up a Windows Live ID because I had trouble with the code you have to read and type in the box, and I tried too many times, the next day I got an email from Facebook saying we're sorry you had trouble getting into your account!

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Praetorius
It sounds like Mozilla Thunderbird might be something for you to look into - I've been using it for years to manage my Yahoo! and Gmail accounts, and I think it's got a standalone address book included so you don't have to rely on contacts in your existing email provider's account online.

Can I set this up using my Comcast email address?

I'm getting this message while trying to set up the Thunderbird account:

Add Security Exception

You are about to override how Thunderbird identifies this site.
Legitimate banks, stores, and other public sites will not ask you to do this.

Server Location: [Text Box] [Get Certificate button]

Certificate Status
This site attempts to identify itself with invalid information.
Wrong Site

Certificate belongs to a different site, which could indicate an identity theft.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Mary Rose

What? I have it on my computer running windows 7.. It come with my microsoft office 2010 pack.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Are you using contacts already established as friends in Facebook, or something like that?
No, I imported some from Windows Mail, and I added some manually.

The reason I'm asking is that I was very surprised that when I kept getting rejected setting up a Windows Live ID because I had trouble with the code you have to read and type in the box, and I tried too many times, the next day I got an email from Facebook saying we're sorry you had trouble getting into your account!
I didn't have to use any Windows Live ID.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

So maybe it's different when you switch from Windows Mail to Windows Live Mail. I had Outlook Express.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by BigBruddah

Is it in Microsoft OneNote or Microsoft Office 2010 Tools?

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Praetorius

Can I set this up using my Comcast email address?

I'm getting this message while trying to set up the Thunderbird account:

Add Security Exception

You are about to override how Thunderbird identifies this site.
Legitimate banks, stores, and other public sites will not ask you to do this.

Server Location: [Text Box] [Get Certificate button]

Certificate Status
This site attempts to identify itself with invalid information.
Wrong Site

Certificate belongs to a different site, which could indicate an identity theft.

Yes, you should be able to - I've never seen the error you mention myself, but some searching online shows updating the proper server/security settings for your provider and adding a permanent exception in Thunderbird will get around this. I just searched on "thunderbird add security exception".

Now, why Thunderbird would ID an issue with Comcast's certificate, I don't know, but I don't really have much a problem believing the certificate is definitely valid (being Comcast and all) - here's one page I found discussing this and providing fixes if you want to try - How do I resolve a 'Add Security Exception'.

Take care - if you want to hang with Thunderbird for a bit, some research over at the Mozilla forums should help you get answers to pretty much any questions or issues you might have...never been a problem on my end.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Praetorius

Thanks a lot!

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   

I tried again and didn't get the same prompt, so I'm able to use Windows Live Mail for everything afterall.

Thanks, everyone, for your help.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Some advice to all. Don't use the ISP provided email. Sure they give you multiple email accounts, storage space, added un-needed programs and junk. What happens when you move and have to switch ISP's? You loose you email or you keep paying the old ISP for the access. You can also loose you email access if you don't pay your ISP bill.
There are plenty of free services like hotmail or gmail to use that can stay with you and can access anywhere.

You can use Windows Live Mail to access gmail and hotmail if you desire a program to manage email. I am running both on mine.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join