It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Abdelbaset al-Megrahi, convicted Lockerbie bomber, reported dead

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by christina-66
reply to post by Knobby

Most of those cases are NOT murderers....and those that were required full time care in a nursing home. Megrahi did not receive treatment in Scotland.

There is no precedent for anything like an individual convicted of 270 murders. How could there be? It is unprecedented. McAskill went from complacency upon Megrahi's release to installing a panic button in his office in case any one of the (rightly) furious US citizens actually carried out the threats his office was receiving on a daily basis.

And they should be furious no matter what. If that convicted the right guy and released him on compassionate grounds - that's nothing but a smack in the face to all of those who lost loved ones on that flight.

If they convicted the wrong guy - they should be furious that the guilty party has been allowed to get off Scot free.

This has been dreadfully handled by the Scottish establishment, Megrahi had lodged Grounds of Appeal with the court. At that point the court will issue a timetable for Answers to his grounds and then expect a more detailed Note from Megrahi's counsel. Megrahi was released before that detailed Note was lodged - and once lodged - because we purportedly have an open justice system - that Note becomes a public document. His appeal stood a very good chance of being a successful one.

Their timing sucked - their rationale sucked - their diplomacy sucked - and their compassion was misplaced.
edit on 20-5-2012 by christina-66 because: (no reason given)

Sorry, I'm just highlighting the fact that your original point on prisoner release was wrong.

You give the impression that al-megrahi has been the only person released on compassionate grounds in Scotland.

Anyway, this is not the point of the thread, so I'll stop now.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Knobby

In my defence - its not exactly printed on the front page of the Record now is it? If Megrahi was guilty (which I very much doubt) it was, as I also said, misplaced compassion.

The fact is the UK establishment was in bed with the Gaddafi regime. Libya is rich - oil rich and cash rich. It is also in need of a major upgrade and renovation thanks top years Gaddafi's neglect. Every developed country in the world is sending delegations there right now. The UK establishment must be hoping their friendly relations with Gaddafi doesn't come back and bite them on the bum and deny them some of the many opportunities that there will be in the new (and hopefully) improved Libya.

<< 1   >>

join