It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Abdelbaset al-Megrahi, convicted Lockerbie bomber, reported dead

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Abdelbaset al-Megrahi, convicted Lockerbie bomber, reported dead

www.guardian.co.uk

The former Libyan intelligence officer convicted of the 1988 Lockerbie bombing that killed 270 people has died, his brother has said.

Abdelbaset al-Megrahi died at home aged 59, his brother Abdulhakim told Reuters on Sunday. His health had deteriorated quickly after a long battle with cancer, Abdulhakim said.

East Renfrewshire council said they were investigating the claims of Megrahi's death.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.bbc.co.uk
www.aljazeera.com
www.telegraph.co.uk

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   
So the man convicted for Lockerbie, who probably was not involved (or at least not the only one), is apparently dead. I'm sure there will be much pontificating from British/American officials on this but little debate on the actual poorly handled trial etc.

I wonder if we will ever hear who was actually responsible for the attack. The Iranians? The Saudis? The Libyans? False Flag?

Thoughts?

www.guardian.co.uk

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   
thats been the longest month in history

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Peruvianmonk
I wonder if we will ever hear who was actually responsible for the attack. The Iranians? The Saudis? The Libyans? False Flag?

Until it became politically expedient to blame Libya, all the invesitgations suggested (and all the evidence supported) a handful of Palestinians under the direction of Iran.

Of course, now that Iran is going to be the next battlefield we might suddenly find "shocking new evidence" implicating them. Again.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Peruvianmonk

So the man convicted for Lockerbie, who probably was not involved (or at least not the only one), is apparently dead. I'm sure there will be much pontificating from British/American officials on this but little debate on the actual poorly handled trial etc.

Thoughts?

www.guardian.co.uk

considering the way the Mock trial was handled ( the victims' family's were clamoring for a real trial even ) and given the history of dressing up as Muslims and Irish people to do bombings I'd say, like 77, the British intelligence did it.
edit on 20-5-2012 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

The only reason the Scottish legal system had anything to with this case was because the plane came down over Lockerbie (due to a delay in take off). That plane was supposed to disappear into the Atlantic.

However, the trial was a mockery. One of the preparation solicitors has just been accused of five counts of inadequate service and seven counts of professional misconduct. (unrelated to the Lockerbie case) We used to engage this solicitor at a time when he would boast of his involvement in the Lockerbie case - I bet he can't erase it from his cv fast enough now

In the meantime - the Libyans I have spoken to are of the view that Megrahi is guilty but then they also hold the mistaken view that Scotland has an equitable and just justice system (Something I know from experience not to be the case).

I reckon it probably was one of Gaddafi's escapades - remember that the US had bombed Tripoli not long beforehand - but that Megrahi was always just a scapegoat and likely an innocent man. The key witness in his trial - a Portuguese shop-keeper - suddenly remembered Megrahi after being paid in the region of $750k (having been interviewed 20 time previously) .

And speaking as someone from Scotland I can assure you that i have NEVER EVER heard of someone being released on compassionate grounds because they were ill - especially not one convicted (altho' probably unsound) of murdering almost 300 innocent people.

We do know that BP are seeking the rights to extract oil off the coast of Libya - from an area the size of Belgium. Gaddafi's assurances of preferential treatment on those contracts were more than likely the real reason for his early release.

BTW - Megrahi was given 3 months to live with his cancer diagnosis - but he received NO treatment in Scotland. So - the real prognosis was - left untreated he would have three months to live - if treated, as we have seen - gave him almost three years. (Typical example of the Scottish legal trade's obfuscation of the truth. )

edit on 20-5-2012 by christina-66 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by EvillerBob

Very true.

Some believe it was the Iranians, in retaliation for the shooting down of the Iran Air Flight 655, but as at that point the US was backing Iran against Iraq in their 8 year long war, wanted it blamed upon the Libyans.

Interesting account on the attack from the Washington Post at the time.

www.highbeam.com...

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by christina-66

in support of my above post

If the Lockerbie appeal had gone ahead:

Megrahi’s legal team was going to produce evidence that a fragment of a timing device, found near the crash site, which pointed to Libyan involvement, could not have survived the explosion.

(US blamed Iran for Lockerbie bomb)

In other words, it was a fake, possibly planted by the CIA.

The legal team also planned to point out that there was no trace of explosive on the fragment.

Some people blame the CIA and Mossad for the Lockerbie Bombing.

Reportedly Mossad had helped a group within the CIA to set up Operation Corea, which involved the export of heroin from Lebanon into the USA.

aangirfan.blogspot.ca...

btw
I see lttle difference between the MI Cia and Mossad etc..same masters ultimately

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   

CIA Involvement.: Lockerbie evidence was faked.
CIA planted tiny fragment of circuit board crucial in convicting a Libyan for the 1989 mass murder of 270 people .....

This report was published by the Scotsman..... ...."the CIA planted the tiny fragment of circuit board crucial in convicting a Libyan for the 1989 mass murder of 270 people."

A former Scottish police chief has given lawyers a signed statement claiming that key evidence in the Lockerbie bombing trial was fabricated.

The retired officer - of assistant chief constable rank or higher - has testified that the CIA planted the tiny fragment of circuit board crucial in convicting a Libyan for the 1989 mass murder of 270 people.

The police chief, whose identity has not yet been revealed, gave the statement to lawyers representing Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed Al Megrahi, currently serving a life sentence in Greenock Prison.

The evidence will form a crucial part of Megrahi's attempt to have a retrial ordered by the Scottish Criminal Cases Review Commission (SCCRC). The claims pose a potentially devastating threat to the reputation of the entire Scottish legal system.

The officer, who was a member of the Association of Chief Police Officers Scotland, is supporting earlier claims by a former CIA agent that his bosses "wrote the script" to incriminate Libya.

imho its in MIs back yard, the cia etc is just a cut out...damage control because the bombing wasn't quite as planned

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Yes whoever was actually responsible - the Scottish establishment aided and abetted with the cover-up. Had they actually done their job properly none of us would be having this discussion now at all.

And they continue to lie to us - and pass the buck (pointing at Westminster). Me? I'm glad that the antics we have to put up with on a daily basis from our third rate politicians and judiciary are under scrutiny on the world stage because of this debacle.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   

It certainly illustrates the lack of jurisprudence which we would expect to have plenty of in this day and age...
the fact that we don't have any does speak volumes

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Jurisprudence? Among members of the Scottish judiciary? You jest? Our little cabal makes it up as they go along. By virtue of our relatively small population, our old boy network has bonds stronger than no other.

Our judges came to the verdict they were told to - simple as that.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Any other examples of Scottish miscarriages of justice that you know of Christina?

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   

There have been many cases of prisoners being released on compassionate grounds.

Including murderers.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Peruvianmonk

Ach I've been involved in Scotland's courts for the past 16 years helping my dad defend himself against a fraudulent writ raised against him by his former solicitors (to avert a Law Society investigation that was under way into complaints my dad had raised about their conduct).

I spend a LOT of time in Scotland's Court of Session (our highest court) and know only too well how capable our judiciary is of selectively adhering to, or simply ignoring, the rule of law whenever it suits them.

See the link in my signature for details

and see Lockerbie Solicitor's Misconduct for an overview of the issues re the solicitor involved in the Lockerbie case I mentioned in my earlier post. This site goes back years and goes into factual detail about just how bad the legal establishment in Scotland actually is.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Knobby

Can you cite one pls?

And I can guarantee there is no precedent for releasing anyone convicted of the scale of murder Megrahi was.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Here is a link to the scottish government website on the issue.

Compassionate Release - Cases Granted and Refused in Scotland

edit on 20-5-2012 by Knobby because: To amend the link

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I believe he is not guilty and was a scapegoat , The Scottish goverment made a just but unpopular decision .

Lets hope the files are released regarding the trial or maybe the UK goverment have still got lots more to hide regarding the coverup

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Knobby

Most of those cases are NOT murderers....and those that were required full time care in a nursing home. Megrahi did not receive treatment in Scotland.

There is no precedent for anything like an individual convicted of 270 murders. How could there be? It is unprecedented. McAskill went from complacency upon Megrahi's release to installing a panic button in his office in case any one of the (rightly) furious US citizens actually carried out the threats his office was receiving on a daily basis.

And they should be furious no matter what. If that convicted the right guy and released him on compassionate grounds - that's nothing but a smack in the face to all of those who lost loved ones on that flight.

If they convicted the wrong guy - they should be furious that the guilty party has been allowed to get off Scot free.

This has been dreadfully handled by the Scottish establishment, Megrahi had lodged Grounds of Appeal with the court. At that point the court will issue a timetable for Answers to his grounds and then expect a more detailed Note from Megrahi's counsel. Megrahi was released before that detailed Note was lodged - and once lodged - because we purportedly have an open justice system - that Note becomes a public document. His appeal stood a very good chance of being a successful one.

Their timing sucked - their rationale sucked - their diplomacy sucked - and their compassion was misplaced.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Scotty2hotty

I downloaded his 'reason' for appeal when they were on the net in case they were quickly deleted. They run to about 250+ pages. I haven't had time to go through it yet tho'.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join