It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

May 20 eclipse times?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   
I was curious as to when the eclipse would occur for my area. Found this site: www.timeanddate.com...

For Boston the time of eclipse shows like this: Start Time Sun 4:56 PM End Time Sun 10:49 PM

A six-hour eclipse? Is this right?

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Just got off of wikipedia. There is a good explaination posted there.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   
will this be visible in the uk?
will there be any live streaming of it?if yes what time gmt will it be?

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Here is a good site. Just pick your state

shadowandsubstance.com...

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by grubblesnert
reply to post by jiggerj

Just got off of wikipedia. There is a good explaination posted there.

Just went here: en.wikipedia.org...

I didn't see anything about length of time, except for it lasting 5 minutes and some seconds somewhere else.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   
space.comreply to post by haven123

It will be streaming live on Space.coms website. Im from Louisiana and it will start at 8:36pm Central Standard time. I will need to go to a High rise parking tower to see the beginning of it. I wished i was further on the west coast to see this.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 08:08 AM
link   
It looks like the east coast will miss out. For us right-coasters, the eclipse will occur after sunset.

For me it's rain and clouds from TS Alberto today.

-SC

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by KyleR

what time will that be in GMT?

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   
any one gona be filming this?

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Im having a quick look for info related to a UK viewing It says 21:56 - 03:49 for London on timeandd ate.com a 6 hour window is confusing me, I saw the eclipse in 2000, it was great but over very quickly. Its still quite light here until about 22:30 at least where I live. so heres hoping I will get some sort of effect

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by darthdamo74
Im having a quick look for info related to a UK viewing It says 21:56 - 03:49 for London on a 6 hour window is confusing me,

Me too. And the links offered by others are just too complicated for me this morning. For some reason my brain feels like it's floating in a fish tank.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   
I wish I could see this but I am in Florida and we will see nothing.

It isn't visible in all states or countries for those wondering why their area isnt on the list.

This site here says it's not viewable on the east coast of the US and it will be best viewed west of the Appalachian Mountains and even those areas will only see a partial.

The Greatest Eclipse will pass over northern California, Nevada, southwestern Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, southwestern Colorado, an northwest Texas. A partial solar eclipse will be easily viewable in parts of the U.S. that are west of the Appalachian Mountain chain.

It will not be visible from the U.S. East Coast, including Florida (except for the panhandle).

source
So if you are in the panhandle you might see something but that is it....

I'm waiting for the Venus transit myself! I have a sun filter on my telescope and I hope I can see something with it! I have never used the sun filter so I will have to read up on it first.
edit on 5/20/2012 by mblahnikluver because: add link

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   
for any one with bad weather panasonic are doing an event from mt fuji,panasonic.net...

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

get a veiw from mt fuji panasonic.net...

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

its not a total eclipse its annualar

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

If Solar Eclipse happens when moon is closer to earth and hence can at least cover some area with complete darkness is Total Eclipse. However, when moon is quite distant and can't create complete darkness is Annular Solar Eclipse.

In Total Solar Eclipse, the sun is not at all visible, however, in Annular Solar Eclipse, sun is visible on complete circumference on moon.

As an analogous example: Suppose your friend (sun) is standing at a distance and observing your TV (earth). The more close you (moon) standing to your TV, more you can hide him from your friends view.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   
I have just run this evening through stelarium I dont think I will see anything best Im hoping for now is to some how see the sun and moon close together
BTW running it through stellarium and playing with the settings is fasinating truely amazing times we live in

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by haven123
reply to post by mblahnikluver

get a veiw from mt fuji panasonic.net...

Awesome!! Thanks
Bookmarked for later!

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   

for any one with bad weather panasonic are doing an event from mt fuji,panasonic.net...

God Bless the internet and my TVOut Card, Crisps and Cider at the ready.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   

reply to post by jiggerj

If Solar Eclipse happens when moon is closer to earth and hence can at least cover some area with complete darkness is Total Eclipse. However, when moon is quite distant and can't create complete darkness is Annular Solar Eclipse.

In Total Solar Eclipse, the sun is not at all visible, however, in Annular Solar Eclipse, sun is visible on complete circumference on moon.

As an analogous example: Suppose your friend (sun) is standing at a distance and observing your TV (earth). The more close you (moon) standing to your TV, more you can hide him from your friends view.

Huh? I just want to know why that site lists the eclipse as lasting for 6 hours.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join