It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Montreal protest declared illegal after Molotov cocktail

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Montreal protest declared illegal after Molotov cocktail

www.cbc.ca

Authorities cracked down on thousands of protesters flooding downtown Montreal near the Berri-ÙQAM metro station after Molotov cocktails were thrown.

Police declared the protest march illegal at 9:54 p.m. after several fire devices were thrown from the crowd, near St-Laurent and René-Levesque Boulevards.

Riot police responded with tear gas and noise bombs, and ordered people to disperse.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 5/20/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Those protest started 3 months ago because the government augmented student fees

illegal or not those protest will continue
with these new police states laws ..it will get ugly

Many americans dont even know whats happening in Montreal these days .. it is chaos
Smoke bombs in the subway last week
that brough Montreal to its knee .. all the subway line were shut down for hours

Massive Montreal protest blasts tuition hikes

Tens of thousands of students gathered at the site of the 1995 pre-referendum rally Thursday, beating drums and chanting slogans in the largest protest to date against tuition hikes.

They held banners that read "education, a collective right" and "Charest cuts access" during the demonstration at Place du Canada, a large park nestled amid downtown skyscrapers.

Students are upset about Premier Jean Charest's plan to add $1,625 to the annual cost of post-secondary education by 2016.

Each day thousand of people are descending in the streets
and now since 1 month, thousand protest during the entire night
until the day protests start

we even have a masquotte lol

One thing for sure .. french canadians are not intimidated by the Police

Police in armour blocked St-Laurent Boulevard to contain the crowd.

Some smaller groups splintered from the main march and made their way down side streets in Chinatown.

But the march's tail swelled with more protesters.

Thousands of people answered the call to march Friday night in a show of defiance against a legal crackdown on protests by the Quebec government.

Early on in the march, protesters said they were encouraged by the turnout and by the support from bystanders honking their car horns or clapping while they passed.

Opponents of the Charest government – including its political opposition – have begun attacking its approach to the protests, even more than the tuition hikes that originally sparked the unrest.

The Montreal march came hours after the government passed a law setting limits on the ability to protest.

Also Friday, a new municipal bylaw imposed stiff fines on people wearing masks while demonstrating.

A few people in the crowd were in fact wearing masks. However, the mask bylaw and the protest limits were not expected to be applied until Saturday.

Police said they were given the march route in advance — one ofthe many stipulations of the new provincial law. They were not commenting, however, on reports that their phone lines were flooded by people calling to report the route, in a unique gesture of civil disobedience.

The nighttime protests have been going on every night for nearly a month.

In the news for tonight they say around 10 000 are protesting in the street .. and there is around 30 that were arrested

Here is a link with live stream
Montreal Gazette

www.cbc.ca
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   
This was from Yesterday

Will try to update the thread each day with new vid
since the new law 78 have passed ..
things are going to get very rough

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Go Canada!

I think it's awesome how all these huge protests are going on everywhere at the same time. People are finally realizing there need to be changes.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   
The most violent one happened a week ago in Victoriaville
many cops were injured in the confrontation

foward to 5:20 when the action start
edit on 5/19/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

What's really sad about all of this is that the universities and colleges are sitting on huge deposits. I know of one university in Toronto that had cash deposits as investment capital in excess of billions of dollars. Why do they need so much money? They can't make the campus any bigger and even if they could, their investments payout whether the market goes up or down, so they can build or do what they need on just the dividends and interest. But they don't, they scream poverty and request government assistance and then raise tuition.

It's like double dipping, "We'll get it from your parents through their taxes and we'll get it from you (the student) too, we get it both ways." It reminds of when SOCAN was charging the venues and the artists to perform the same songs. That has been stopped for a few years, but they got away with double dipping for years before people caught on. The universities and colleges are no different, simply a different class of criminal.

Cheers - Dave
edit on 5/19.2012 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   
When the police forces finally realize we are not their enemy things will start to change for the better. If I was them I would have to question who is benefiting from carrying out their standing orders.

Here is to hoping for non violent ,peaceful protests over the remainder of this weekend and into the future. Without protesting, what else do we have?
edit on 19-5-2012 by cconn487 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 12:16 AM
link   
The protesters are students who don't want the government to raise the tuition fees which have been frozen for 40 years, which would cause the provincial economy to fail and probably end up like California's...

Although the idea is noble and the protests started off fine and peaceful, over time, these protesters prevented people from attending classes after they obtained a court order which lets them back into class if they want to, stormed a university and used violence to remove students from their classes (YES FORCEFULLY REMOVED PEOPLE FROM THEIR RIGHT TO STUDY AFTER OBTAINING A LEGAL COURT ORDER TO RETURN TO SCHOOL IF THEY WISHED TO DO SO), and clashed with police by showing up at protests with pick axes to break the asphalt road to throw rocks at the police, smoke bomb the subway system, and throw explosives at the police for nothing...

If these idiots protested peacefully and without violence, the protests would be like in the beginning, no violence on either side... Because the violence has been going on for 3 months now, where ordinary people are having their cars wrecked, storefronts destroyed, and because ordinary citizens can't get to work, the government and police had to step in and maintain order...

They had their chance to protest peacefully like in the beginning... They lost it, and now suffer the consequences... Luck I don't live in Mtl anymore, because if they would break my # or my home, I wouldn't shoot rubber bullets, tear gas, or sound grenades... I would use live rounds...

edit on 12/5/20 by Magnum007 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 12:26 AM
link   
When I step back and take a look at the bigger picture I can see that this is all following a very natural divine plan.
This is no coincidence.
This is happening worldwide.
Humanity is waking up and demanding to be freed from its mental shackles.
We are collectivly in the process of overthrowing the tyrants of reality and creating our own.

This is a beautiful thing.
It is really getting hard to resist being fearful though.
I hope this all passes peacefully.

The system is collapsing folks.
This is it.
The time is finally here.
THis summer will be historic.

A hundred years from now,
these last couple of thousand years will be referred to as 'the dark ages'
It has already been taken I know but it will be put into perspective.
For these are truely the dark ages.

We will one day look back on all of this and wonder WTF were we thinking?!?!?!?!?
edit on 20-5-2012 by Screwed because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Magnum007

Hey Magnum
long time no see

Im surprise you are not with the riot police at the moment

if you were still in Montreal .. would your boss call you for reinforcement ?
im asking you this .. since you are a police officer

My brother just had his first gun training to become a cop
currently is at Carleton Univesity
hope he will never beat up any protesters in the futur
except violent protesters (agent provocateur ?)
that want to create violence and anarchy .. those i dont support
but i support protesting for our rights and the government should for once listen
after 3 months of protesting .. its time the gov bow down but they are putting oil on fire with this new law 78

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

Completely agree with you
people are crying for a change
living in this kind of society .. is unsustainable for everyone
time we stop living like slave working our ass off each day for a little 2 weeks off per yrs
while there is rich people living like kings and queens taking 11 months of vacation in the bahamas each yrs

It is extremely unfair for the 99%
It is time things get balanced more
we are in 2012 .. we can no longer afford to be what we were in the past
brainwashed zombies thinking only for themself
not realising that in the world millions depend of others trash
eating rotten food

the time of change was foreseen for a reason --> 21 december 2012
people are waking up to the fact that this changes need to happen ASAP

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

Well said sir.

We shall see what comes of this.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   
funny thing is .. tonights protest are illegal
they just say on the news .. that police tolerate it after all
so even the police doesnt respect the signed new law 78

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ben81

Hey Magnum
long time no see

Im surprise you are not with the riot police at the moment

if you were still in Montreal .. would your boss call you for reinforcement ?
im asking you this .. since you are a police officer

My brother just had his first gun training to become a cop
currently is at Carleton Univesity
hope he will never beat up any protesters in the futur
except violent protesters (agent provocateur ?)
that want to create violence and anarchy .. those are dont support
but i support protesting for our rights and the government should for once listen
after 3 months of protesting .. its time the gov bow down but they are putting oil on fire with this new law 78

Long time indeed my friend!

I'm in Montreal but not to work, I'm actually on vacation right now... Real relaxing...

I support the right of the students to protest as they did in the beginning, but now it's gotten out of hand and I fully support the officers who are doing a SUPER job at staying calm and not letting things get out of hand even when getting hit with rocks, being attacked by explosives, and having their stations invaded (PDQ 21)...

Many officers have been injured for nothing. Most of the time, the officers are waiting before being attacked by angry mobs of people which force them to have to line up and arrest them... It's ridiculous and the population is getting fed up of it as much as the officers.

What I have a problem with is the masked idiots who basically ruined the cause, as well as the CLASSE self described "democratic leader" (who refused many offers from the government without consulting his group and then having a raised hand vote which he counted 1 time in 15 seconds... he's a good counter I see...) who says he "can't control" his people... WOW... What a leader he is!

The government tried to negotiate, but the groups failed to listen, they didn't have to agree, but they should have at least listened to the offers. Also the groups fail to tell their people to let people back to class as per the court injunctions say and use violence to remove peaceful people from class... What kind of BS is that?

I hope your brother turns out to be a good cop and that he can use his judgement in this very VERY shade of grey field of work... Gun training is fun, but it's not the most important part of training... People think we spend so much time in the range when really most of our classes are in the classroom and in scenarios...

Oh and BTW, SPVM doesn't need agent provocateurs... There are enough in the crowd already who do a FINE job at being idiots and starting #...

Your friend,

Magnum

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ben81
funny thing is .. tonights protest are illegal
they just say on the news .. that police tolerate it after all
so even the police doesnt respect the signed new law 78

Protesting is NOT illegal under law 78...

The only thing is that they need to do if there are more than 50 people is to tell the police 8 hours in advance the plan of the protest (where it is being held etc...) and there can be no call for violence...

Under the municipal law that just passed, they can't wear masks... This is not to remove a right to protest, it is to remove the anonymity of the retards who cause problems... lets face it, peaceful protesters are not ashamed to show their faces, # disturbers do it so they arent' identified after they commit crimes...

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 12:48 AM
link   
I am watching that live right now. I can't belive Canada is more intense then the U.S.A.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Yes i agree its getting out of control and there is many in the protest that only want to do violence
They talked on the news about imposing a curfew soon
and maybe calling the army that will protect buildings

do you think they will soon impose a curfew and call up the army ?

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 12:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

Canada already called up some of there army according to CUTV

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by badgerman24
I am watching that live right now. I can't belive Canada is more intense then the U.S.A.

From where ? can you share it plz
my link didnt work

Tim cast should come to Montreal and film everything
protesters that film are the most awesome
because they protect both side with the truth .. the cops and protesters

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 12:54 AM
link   

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join