It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WA Threatens to split from Australia

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 02:56 AM
link   
reply to post by gps777

People seem to be forgetting the majority of the workers in both WA, SA and Qld mining are fly in fly out, so the money they earn tends to go back to the places they come from, so the money, regardless of where the workers are, is not being spent on infrastructure in any of those states, but is going back home to where those people are from.
There aren't many that either are or will be permanently settling in WA, most people I know that are moving over there are only doing so temporarily, and are buying properties with the money elsewhere in Australia. Part of this is the rising cost of housing and living in general in WA, but also is happening all over the country. Houses are becoming unaffordable to the average 9to5er, thus putting people in a position to want to work in high paid jobs like the mines, just to live out the dream of being a home owner.
So to say the money is not being spent in WA is the truth, although it is really no different anywhere else in Australia, its pretty much across the board as to things becoming out of reach of all but the highest paid in this country. The carbon tax and the mining tax will only hasten the decline of that unaffordability, and spread even thinner the little we have now.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 04:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by lavenlaar
Was not WA a 'basket case' many years ago, and the funding from the East helped to rebuild the west?

OK this is the third time without any back up and now we we`re a "basket case",looks like I`ve got to do the work for you east coasters and because none of you will say when this was I`ll go back to the start.

In the very early days when WA`s population was around 4000 (around 1843) they struggled but all help was from the Crown.

Jump forward a bit to the gold rush days and WA`s population grew rapidly,because Melbourne was struggling from their property boom colapse,the investors in Perth were pissed because they saw the profits get taken from here back to Melbourne Adelaide and London.

Jump forward a bit more with the great depression the war etc we struggled along with everyone else.

But no sign of us being a basket case,more so a power house for the Australian economy if anything.

www.treasury.wa.gov.au...(1).pdf

So cough up your links to this not being the case or shut up.
edit on 22-5-2012 by gps777 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 04:41 AM
link   
reply to post by 74Templar

Agreed whole heartedly 74Templar.

This is why I`m really concerned for the elderly over here especially,due to the higher living costs and the ever increasing electricity grocery etc prices,the carbon tax will only make this worse and many have been struggling already.

I know many who help out their families yet they are doing it tough as well,the cut funding doesn`t help the average West Aussie who are already doing it hard in such an expensive State we have, it makes it harder for those on average to low incomes,where our State may have been able to give a bit more relief to those who need it.

So its a bit hard to hear "boohoo whinger West Aussies" even though I`m sure people are doing it tough around the country,yet this is how we`re viewed by many from the east.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 05:02 AM
link   
Here`s an interesting news article that we should be able to all get pissed about.

State of the Nation report finds unemployment twice the official figure

AUSTRALIA's real unemployment rate is twice the official figure and the Reserve Bank must urgently cut interest rates, says the nation's biggest research firm.

A Roy Morgan Research snapshot of more than 4500 people in April put the national unemployment rate at 9.3 per cent.

This compares to Australian Bureau of Statistics estimates that only 4.9 per cent of Australians are unemployed.

``The RBA uses the Government's statistics and they say there is no unemployment, so we must keep the interest rates high,'' said Roy Morgan executive chairman Gary Morgan.

These banks are a necessary evil,but these guys produce next to nothing and take from most.Pay smallish wages to the Teller girls,open their door late and close early and recieve billions in profit a year.Then Australia only looks at hanging the mining magnates who do a heck of a lot for many.

The Gov on the other hand loves to fudge figures on unemployment to make themselves look good,yet it seems that also plays into the banks hands yet again,as if they don`t live by their own rules as it is.

grrrrrrrrr

edit on 22-5-2012 by gps777 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 05:27 AM
link   
I think we can all agree that if we built a wall around the ACT and sorted it out amongst ourselves, we'd be much better off...

For the record i have lived in QLD for a couple of years and yes, unless you want to only drive between Brissy and The Gold Coast, the roads are crap!

Anyways WA, SA makes the best wine on the planet and we WILL cut you off.. so behave!

oh and SplitInfinity.. i got bored once you started talking about your muscles so didn't read the rest, sorry

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Explanation: S&F!

1stly OL's Disclaimer ...

I am an Australian living in Canberra where I was born and have lived a majority of my 40ys of life. Also I am a pensioner on the disability support pension!

2ndly Congratulations for Mr Barnett standing up for his states rights and welfare! I APPLAUD YOU SIR!

3rdly Here is a map of why it is impossible [currently] for WA to seceede and be successful at that ...

Note how many export pots WA has .... NONE!

Note how many export ports the eastern coast of Australia has ... ALL OF THEM!

4thly Here are some statistics to take note of ...

Western Australians are 10% of the entire Aussie population.

WA is 1/3rd of the country.

WA provides 47% of the raw material for all aussie exports currently BUT that 47% of exports ONLY produces less than 5% of Australia's GDP!

Western Australia [wiki]

Economy of Western Australia [wiki]

Stop being
's OK :shk:

Personal Disclosure: Now OL is going to rant a bit.

If WA seceeds from the rest of Australia they will not be able to export as much as they are now as the don't have the ports to do so. Want to turn Freemantle into a bottle neck?

& ...

If Canberra doesnt stop being unfair to WA their will be a civil war.

55c in every $1 paid in GST by WA comes back to them when it used to be 72c in every $1 paid in GST!

So NOT FAIR BLOODY DINKUM!

IMA ENRAGED BY MY FELLOW CANBERRANS RESPONCE which was '
WA'

Don't make me discect this any more than I already have as the fallout from WA seceeding will be TARRIFS and possibly changing the trainline gauges. And that is just the start. If there was a War WA would fall because take out Perth and its all over but take out Canberra and Sydney OR Melbourne will take over.

It is a HOLLOW THREAT ... BUT HE IS 100% CORRECT THAT THE GST is not split FAIRLY!

As Aussies 'we' need to fix this asap. Don't make ME come and fix it OK!

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 06:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Funk bunyip

Now there's a better idea. Build a wall around the ACT and secede the rest of the country.
It has merit, you must admit

Seriously though, Barnett is showing how petty he can be on a national level, saying that WA is propping up the rest of the country. As I said before, the mining boom in the main three states (WA, SA, QLD) is creating jobs and surplus for all states, as it is keeping Australia and it's people as a whole supported in a time where many would go bust without the mining boom. The thing I can't figure is what the hell that ranga's stance is on tightening the screws on the average worker, and plugging the mining companies, so they can't turn a profit and thus keep employing the majority of the country. I mean at what point will they turn us into a banana republic, and we will end up like some Asian or South American country with more than half the people out of work, and living either in slums or off the land in order to survive? It really makes no sense. To me it's like having the fastest runner on your team tie his shoelaces together, the way the government is running this country to ground. The stupid thing about that course of events is no one working, no one buying, no taxes, so the government is really shooting itself in the foot by doing this. You would think the federal government would be looking at the unemployed at this time, and offering to train the unemployed up to go work at one of the mines, while the boom is strong. It gives the people skills, and keeps the ball rolling, not only for WA residents, but for east coasters as well, so that we can all make a buck off the latest trend.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by OmegaLogos

Thanks for that Omega

I think your the first east coaster on the thread who understands we just want a fair crack over here.

Thats what Barnetts pissed about,heck if he wasn`t I doubt he`d be our Premeire.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by OmegaLogos
3rdly Here is a map of why it is impossible [currently] for WA to seceede and be successful at that ...

Note how many export pots WA has .... NONE!

Note how many export ports the eastern coast of Australia has ... ALL OF THEM!

WA has no ports? They are all on the East Coast? LOL
Do you actually think that every ship sails thousands of KM's extra around Australia to the east coast?
Hell, some of them even stop in Adelaide!!
Shocking, isn't it?

Here are the FACTS..

Total Throughput(imports&exports) in tonnes for the 2010/2011 financial year

New South Wales 175,519,497 tonnes
Victoria 50,450,293 tonnes
Queensland 253,643,532 tonnes
South Australia 22,583,806 tonnes
Western Australia 422,640,419 tonnes
Tasmania 13,538,023 tonnes
Northern Territory 3,729,604 tonnes

Australia Total throughput in tonnes - 942,105,174 tonnes

And if you don't believe me, then believe Ports Australia..
www.portsaustralia.com.au...
edit on 22-5-2012 by BLV12A because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by BLV12A
Here are the FACTS..

Total Throughput(imports&exports) in tonnes for the 2010/2011 financial year

New South Wales 175,519,497 tonnes
Victoria 50,450,293 tonnes
Queensland 253,643,532 tonnes
South Australia 22,583,806 tonnes
Western Australia 422,640,419 tonnes
Tasmania 13,538,023 tonnes
Northern Territory 3,729,604 tonnes

Of coarse WA has ports,I wasn`t going to quibble about that as I got his message which is quite rare coming from the east,Port Hedland I`d say would account for most of WA`s tonnes and if you look its almost twice that of the next largest in Queensland.
I didn`t know it would be that much different.

So cheers for the info.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by CrimsonKapital

With the exception of Mountain Creating...those were a few fairly good ideas. Creating entire Mountain Ranges is way too costly. I personally still think the way to go is to first discover if there is any deep aquifers...Australia must have some deep limestone caves and this Limestone is created by ancient Coral Deposits.

As the Limestone begins to errode...I would bet that there is a very deep interconnecting underground river system that has BILLIONS of Gallons of trapped Fresh Water. The only reason why they have not found it is that IT IS VERY DEEP and they are digging in the wrong areas.

If I am wrong...then DESALINIZATION is the way to go. Australia is surrounded by Ocean Water....these plants...which are not as expensive as they once were...could be set up all along the shorelines and water could be pumped deep inland.

As far as Israel...they can do alot of these projects because they get a 25 Billion Dollar Handout from the United States...and that does not include the Black Budget which brings the figure close to 30 Billion Dollars.

But here is the problem...Australia must find a few specific crops which are perfect for the climate. There is some faily decent wine coming out of Australia. Crops of this nature that depend on a dry climate are key as Australia cannot compete with the United States as far as Corn, Wheat, Rye, Soy Bean, and just about every vegetable or fruit there is...so Australia must look at areas where U.S. Farmers do not concentrate and grow those products.

The U.S. is so fertile as well as have High Tech Farming Industries that our Government ACTUALLY PAYS OUR FARMERS NOT TO GROW CERTAIN CROPS. The U.S. Dept. of Agriculture estimates that if needed...the Continental U.S. alone...never mind Puerto Rico, Alaska, Hawaii, Guam, the Virgin Islands...etc...etc...etc...of which all these non-continental states or territories grow large amounts of produce...the Continental U.S. could increase over all food production 23 Times Greater than is currently Harvested.

This means if Australia want's to grow something...it has to pick very carefully....WINE is an excellent example.
Split Infinity

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by BLV12A

Explanation: St*rred!

I stand HIGHLY corrected on that issue!

Thank You!

Personal Disclosure: Please forgive this inlander for his 'false assumptions based on a knee jerk wiki search result map' shortsightedness whilst I was angry! :shk: Sorry for being a
:shk:

However I still think ripping off WA to the tune of 45c for every $1 they pay in GST ... IS EXTORTION!

I hope you agree?

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by daaskapital

Originally posted by CrimsonKapital

Originally posted by daaskapital
WA shouldn't cut ties with Canberra. If i were Canberra, i would be pulling out all military bases and forces out of WA just in case they decide to succeed.

And why shouldn't they succeed?
WA has lacked in proper funding by the Commonwealth for many years now, then the mining boom comes along and Canberra decides to hoard all their profits leaving nothing for the WA people.

The first attempt for succession was made in 1933. Take a look at the injustice.

At the 22 October 2008 Vista Public Lecture, former Western Australian Premier, Richard Court, indicated that the case for a secessionist movement is only strengthened while the Commonwealth government continues to exploit the State's resource-rich economy and fails to share the prosperity evenly.[8] He argued that Western Australia accounts for 35% of the nation's export income yet most of the revenue is used to strengthen the "financial muscle growing in Canberra". The state has approximately 9–10% of the nation's population, generates over 10% of the GST revenue, but receives only 6% of what is being distributed.[citation needed] Court highlighted that if the current Federation path continues, then by the year 2020, Western Australia will be receiving only 5% of what is being distributed by the Commonwealth Grants Commission. The former Premier said he was not advocating secession but stressed that the financial imbalance required addressing and that "the time to do so is now".

The Republic of Westralia is most definately on the horizon. I blame Gillard for all this, yes other governments contributed but her inept leadership has fractured the very Federation itself.
edit on 19-5-2012 by CrimsonKapital because: error

While Western Australia has been treated unfairly (as has Queensland), it would be better for itself and Australia to remain one country. It will keep Australia stronger than what it would be if it were to be split. WA should grow up and stop whinging.

I don't know what has changed but when I was at school and Uni it was always WA and QLD that got the best deal. Vic and NSW, esp Vic don't have much funding and the state gov't is poor. The population is bigger, so these states get more, but QLD gets extra because of growth (that may have equalized).

Maybe WA is getting a raw deal. How about we regulate the crap out of the big a-hole mining companies, for a start.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Check this out....www.2012.com.au...

This is a way for Australians to make a BOATLOAD of MONEY!

The United States is currently setting up for a policy of CONTAINMENT as far as CHINA is concerned. It would love nothing better than to have several large Naval Bases based on the Australian Island. The amount of money Australia could gain from this from this would be astronomical!

The face it. The United States is already protecting Australia. If you look at the link provided it will show you that the U.S....requardless of what the Australian Government tells you....a country the size of Australia with such a small population...does not get FREE PROTECTION of both Land as well as SEA LANES without giving something back. As for certain Australians who have the opinion that Australia...if it allowed such bases would become nothing more than a U.S. DUPE....WAKE UP! YOU ALREADY ARE! You might as well get PAID FOR IT! It is not like the United States has a History of making things worse...although IRAN is an exception....look at Japan, Korea, France, Germany, Netherlands, Belgium....etc. They all benefited from U.S. intervention.

In the case of Australia...no matter what you have been told...THERE ARE U.S. MILITARY AS WELL AS CIVILIAN INTELL GROUPS BASES all over your country. The U.S. People like Australians and you would never be conquered or such bull. You would be getting PAID! VERY WELL!

The best part is the U.S. Military tends to share some tech. with very close allies. The U.K. is allowed to purchase TRIDENT II D-5 MIRVED NUCLEAR SUB LAUNCHED MISSLES as well as their overall targeting systems. If the U.S. did not provide this to the U.K....all they would have is their SUB which is by the way built in conjuction with U.S. Military Contractors such as Electric Boat and the U.S. Navy basically developed with Electric Boat the U.K. Vanguard Sub.

I am not saying Australia should go this route but Australia could definitely use some Attack Subs as well as ABM's not to mention the tiny Aussie Airforce which consists of a few Super Hornets as well as a few F-18A's
Split Infinity

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by SplitInfinity

My opinion,if Australia gets into trouble sometime in the future and another country comes in and says "we`ve got ya back" I`d consider them a friend.I don`t believe in sucking up to anyone for protection.

I don`t want the US forces here as it is,so they can keep their BOAT LOAD of money we just need to get back to basics here as they did when they built this country from scratch,through hard work determination mateship and giving people a fair go.

Aussies are fight waiting to happen all we need is a decent reason,then look out.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 01:02 AM
link   
reply to post by gps777

My point is....we are already there. Why not cash in? Split Infinity

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by SplitInfinity
Check this out....www.2012.com.au...

This is a way for Australians to make a BOATLOAD of MONEY!

The United States is currently setting up for a policy of CONTAINMENT as far as CHINA is concerned. It would love nothing better than to have several large Naval Bases based on the Australian Island. The amount of money Australia could gain from this from this would be astronomical!

The face it. The United States is already protecting Australia. If you look at the link provided it will show you that the U.S....requardless of what the Australian Government tells you....a country the size of Australia with such a small population...does not get FREE PROTECTION of both Land as well as SEA LANES without giving something back. As for certain Australians who have the opinion that Australia...if it allowed such bases would become nothing more than a U.S. DUPE....WAKE UP! YOU ALREADY ARE! You might as well get PAID FOR IT! It is not like the United States has a History of making things worse...although IRAN is an exception....look at Japan, Korea, France, Germany, Netherlands, Belgium....etc. They all benefited from U.S. intervention.

In the case of Australia...no matter what you have been told...THERE ARE U.S. MILITARY AS WELL AS CIVILIAN INTELL GROUPS BASES all over your country. The U.S. People like Australians and you would never be conquered or such bull. You would be getting PAID! VERY WELL!

The best part is the U.S. Military tends to share some tech. with very close allies. The U.K. is allowed to purchase TRIDENT II D-5 MIRVED NUCLEAR SUB LAUNCHED MISSLES as well as their overall targeting systems. If the U.S. did not provide this to the U.K....all they would have is their SUB which is by the way built in conjuction with U.S. Military Contractors such as Electric Boat and the U.S. Navy basically developed with Electric Boat the U.K. Vanguard Sub.

I am not saying Australia should go this route but Australia could definitely use some Attack Subs as well as ABM's not to mention the tiny Aussie Airforce which consists of a few Super Hornets as well as a few F-18A's
Split Infinity

Is this you revealing your intent?

What you offer sounds expensive, not lucrative.
We turn our coastline into a US navel base and in turn we spend $100 billion on USA made hardware

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 01:09 AM
link   
reply to post by bowtomonkey

You will make out monetarily in the end. You do not need to purchase large defensive systems but you do need a few things like ABM's as well as a few attack subs. The money you would get from the U.S. would be HUGE!

Most likely for a naval abse we are talking at least 50 Billion. Split Infinity

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by SplitInfinity

My point is how do we get rid of the ones already here,let alone selling out for more.

The US will make us a target imo.I don`t believe America is here for our protection,they are here for their own interests as they do.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by gps777

Originally posted by AussieDingus

Your the second east coaster to ask this,care to back it up,that WA used their profits because we were struggling?

What i asked was, did WA or QLD share in the profits of the steel industry boom when it was at its peak. So why shouldn't other states share in WA and QLD's mining boom ?

I don`t know your qualifications/work skills health age etc etc or the positions you applied for,I know I could get a job up there tomorrow.

If i had a dollar for every person that said they could get me a start in the mines, i wouldn't have to work in the mines !

Why would these workers complain if they`re already well paid?why should they get a double dip?

I'm not saying the workers should complain, or get a double dip. I'm saying the a large amount of miners fly in from other states to make the mines their profits. So why should the profits be excluded to just WA or QLD ?

There is a place called Wittenoom that used to mine asbestos which stopped in 1966 there is asbestos on the ground everywhere there I`ve been there many times,people still refuse to move.
This didn't answer my question, the question was, what happens to these communties after the mining companies have moved on. If there's asbestos everywhere at that site, then its hardly a case of a mining compnay caring for a community !

How would you like a special tax just for you? while everyone else was taxed less.
Well its funny you ask me that, because as a single male taxpayer living in Australia, i'm the most disciminated category their is according to tax purposes. And everyone else isnt being taxed less, they are being taxed according to their earnings, yet is the same rule applying to these mining magnates ?

No I wasn`t saying that,I was defending a persons right to spend their money as they see fit,against those who think they are entitled to have a say with others finances.

But you are defending these people, so aren't you also thinking that you're entitled to have a say with others finance's, but as long as everyone agree's with your opinion, its ok ! And i never said anyhting about how some one should spend their money, we were talking about how much these people should contribute in taxes, not spending !

For someone who complains about others whinging you do a heck of a lot yourself.Families can be like that rich or not.

Ahh, and there it is. No valid response so you have to resort to the whinging comments, yet i'm doing nothing different to you on here, i just have a different opinion. My comment about mining magnates whinging was backed up with examples to prove the point.

Good for you thanks,thats all we want

Yep, and when the majority live on the East coast, the majority of the fair share will more than likely end up towards the east more than the west. thats how a majority works. Thats not my system, thats just how it works

Industries around Australia could have done with the Governments help to keep them alive or on our shores,it doesn`t help them by squeezing them.

And where do Governments get the resources to help out these indutries, by taxing the previous industry boom. Its a circular system with the few making the obscene profits, while the general population gets left with the clean up afterwards, and taxed more and more !

Not sure if your willing to move over here to get in the mines,From my experience with the mines they like families (depending on what site,Newman, Port Hedland if your trying to get in with BHP) if you`ve got a Boilermakers ticket,you should be snapped up pretty quick,there are many contract

I'm prepared to move anywhere in Australia for a mining job, but i'm currently not in a financial position to just up and move on the CHANCE of getting a job. But thanks anyway for the advice !

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join