It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
"--a huge, black form, like a whale, in the sky, and it drips red drops as if attacked by celestial swordfishes
Charles Fort. Lo!, P.1
I shall you tell with plain declaration
Where, how, and what is my generation
Omogeni is my Father
And Magnesia is my Mother
And Azot truly is my Sister
And Kibrick forsooth is my Brother
The Serpent of Arabia is my name
The which is leader of all this game
That sometime was both wood and wild
And now I am both meek and mild
The Sun and the Moon with their might
Have chastised me that was so light
My wings that me brought
Hither and thither where I thought
Now with their might they down me pull,
And bring me where they will
The Blood of mine heart I wish
Now causeth both joy and blisse
And dissolveth the very Stone
And knitteth him ere he have done
Now maketh hard that was lix
And causeth him to be fix
Of my blood and water I wish
Plenty in all the World there is
It runneth in every place
Who it findeth he hath grace
In the World it runneth over all
And goeth round as a ball
But thou understand well this
Of the worke thou shalt miss
Therefore know ere thou begin
What he is and all his kin
Many a name he hath full sure
And all is but one Nature
Thou must part him in three
And then knit him as the Trinity
And make them all but one
Lo here is the Philosophers Stone
1. He drank it to sacrifice himself and seed Earth with genetic material to generate life.
2. He was an Engineer (an alien race that 'engineered' life). Presumably he was quite high in the Engineer social order as it seems to have been almost a religious ceremony so he could have been specifically 'chosen' for the task.
3. I think he was on Earth. [EDIT] Ridley Scott has said in an interview that it could have been any planet, it isn't specific.
4. I'm guessing that his DNA broke down and mutated to different forms to seed the building blocks of life.
5. I think that yes, he did know it would kill him.
6. I think the scene was to give a bit more depth to the Engineers and establish them as their namesake.
7. I guess it was around 3 billion years ago if it was the true genesis of life on earth, but this figure could be wildly off.
Originally posted by Eidolon23
reply to post by ImaFungi
I agree entirely.
Recursion and continuum: where did that protowhale come from?
And how do we display a creepy degree of prescience when we anticipate scientific truths in our myths? Could there be a standing wave of Information that we are contributors to/beneficiaries of?
Originally posted by Biliverdin
Why would a female dragon be dropping sperm from what is clearly a vaginal opening? Alchemically, we could surmise that they are the combined fluids post-coitus...
Originally posted by ImaFungi
reply to post by Biliverdin
nice!!! the feminine is the one that gives birth to new life...... could be depicting a mother passing on its blood for new creation... in this case some mystical dragon mother of nature.,,.,.,. maybe to show the fierceness of distant and ancient universal ways,,, the massive quantities and forces and energies at first formed aggressiveness and defensive, mighty and warlike beings,,, but time refined this way,,,,,,, the cosmic forces and energies are fierce like that of a dragon,,, and perhaps it is these forces over time that have given birth to the refined and diverse life on earth,,,,,,
just another thought,.,.,.
Bilverdin anymore you think about that dragon photo and the poem beneath it?