It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religion Is a Potent Force for Cooperation and Conflict, Research Shows

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   

ScienceDaily (May 17, 2012) — Across history and cultures, religion increases trust within groups but also may increase conflict with other groups, according to an article in a special issue of Science.

www.sciencedaily.com...

religion sucks...

"Moralizing gods, emerging over the last few millennia, have enabled large-scale cooperation and sociopolitical conquest even without war," says University of Michigan anthropologist Scott Atran, lead author of the article with Jeremy Ginges of the New School for Social Research. "Sacred values sustain intractable conflicts like those between the Israelis and the Palestinians that defy rational, business-like negotiation. But they also provide surprising opportunities for resolution."

Good job religion and your sacred values, sustaining conflict... but oh wait, religion also provides opportunities for resolution.

As evidence for their claim that religion increases trust within groups but may increase conflict with other groups, Atran and Ginges cite a number of studies among different populations. These include cross-cultural surveys and experiments in dozens of societies showing that people who participate most in collective religious rituals are more likely to cooperate with others, and that groups most intensely involved in conflict have the costliest and most physically demanding rituals to galvanize group solidarity in common defense and blind group members to exit strategies. Secular social contracts are more prone to defection, they argue. Their research also indicates that participation in collective religious ritual increases parochial altruism and, in relevant contexts, support for suicide attacks.

They also identify what they call the "backfire effect," which dooms many efforts to broker peace. In many studies that Atran and Ginges carried out with colleagues in Palestine, Israel, Iran, India, Indonesia and Afghanistan, they found that offers of money or other material incentives to compromise sacred values increased anger and opposition to a deal.

So what... you can't payoff someone as to changing their position that is concreted in faith and beliefs, as well often includes ritual practice and self sacrifice. Makes sense to me.

Good for them, defend to the death a doctrine and interpretations others have shoved down your throat.

"In an age where religious and sacred causes are resurgent, there is urgent need for joint scientific effort to understand them," they conclude. "In-depth ethnography, combined with cognitive and behavioral experiments among diverse societies (including those lacking a world religion), can help identify and isolate the moral imperatives for decisions on war or peace."

Hail Satan

This dynamic is behind the paradoxical reality that the world finds itself in today: "Modern multiculturalism and global exposure to multifarious values is increasingly challenged by fundamentalist movements to revive primary group loyalties through greater ritual commitments to ideological purity."

Religion made the bed, then people woke up and went to work... came back and religion wants you back to sleep before the nightly news comes on.

Here's another beauty for ya...

Highly Religious People Are Less Motivated by Compassion Than Are Non-Believers
www.sciencedaily.com...

ScienceDaily (Apr. 30, 2012) — "Love thy neighbor" is preached from many a pulpit. But new research from the University of California, Berkeley, suggests that the highly religious are less motivated by compassion when helping a stranger than are atheists, agnostics and less religious people.

Yup... help you and your little friends, screw a stranger. Makes you wonder though.... what if everyone in the world was in one religion... does that mean nobody is a stranger? then we all help one another...

Here's a religion for the world. Believe in yourself, parables of Jesus(nothing more), know the power of nature and energy(respect it), and prosper...

Ok that's enough being a jack wagon for now

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   
You do realize that if we actually came from two people, Adam and Eve, then that makes us all brothers and sisters and that we're all actually committing incest?

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Highly religious people see that the compassion is pointless...after all, good people go to heaven, bad people go to hell..so comforting them in this blink of an eye lifespan is actually just slowing down their paradise or just treatment in the afterlife.

Atheists on the other hand might be overcompensating by trying too much compassion due to no promise of a afterlife at all..therefore this is all we got (might as well make it a good one).

This however is a general study...I have known very compassionate and loving religious people, and have known a couple atheist jerks...and the other way around. I will say I have known personally more christians than atheists though, therefore I know more christian jerks than atheist jerks..still, hard to say all of this group is this way, and that group is that way.

Not a fan of religion, but I don't mind people of faith...so long as they aren't jerks. (that really applies to anyone)

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Why is it so difficult for people to accept truth? It's not like if they believe, reality would change. Deep down, people know that some of the things they are raised to believe are false.

Why live through true? The truth of yourself and the truth of the universe...

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   
I think we could all wrap our minds around some truth, if only one of us really had any. All we are really doing is guessing at things, for we do not yet have the big picture. And sorry, but anyone who think they have the Ultimate Truth, on anything, is fooling themselves. I was just talking to someone on another thread who think he has a lock on truth. Christians keep on hinting at it, but we have yet to see it.

new topics

top topics

join