It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What happened ATS??

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by SUICIDEHK45
I am not an "old school" member by any means, but it just baffles me that ATS could go from where it was when I first joined, to the argumentative additude that a lot of members seem to have now. Really it happened so fast, and it seems to me that the MSM has more of a "foothold" on ATS than ever before. I don't want to see what the MSM is spewing, if I did I would just watch it on TV. I want to know the story behind the story, or at least the theories behind the story.

I think it just moves with the world friend. Watch, as time goes on less and less will deny ignorance....

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by SUICIDEHK45

Well, another thing that happened was that a lot of people abandoned GLP because of some ruckus over there. I think it had to do with GLP trying to get rid of a lot of their trash--and all their trash ended up here. Never bothered with GLP myself, so I'm not real sure of the details; however I do remember a lot of them joining and bitching about being banned "for no reason" from GLP....

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
You are absolutely right. The moles love ATS. People who are ignorant argue, and people who are smart collaborate. None collaborates on an idea here anymore.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   
As time evolves more and more people will become sheeple. Stay the course of the wolf.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   
The question has been asked over the years. Though, this time the "For the laughs"/ "For the entertainment" crowd have made it all less serious for conversation.
edit on 19-5-2012 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Covertblack
As time evolves more and more people will become sheeple. Stay the course of the wolf.

It should work the other way, unfortunately it doesn't. ATS should be helping the "sheeple" turn into wolves.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Covertblack

It should work the other way, unfortunately it doesn't. ATS should be helping the "sheeple" turn into wolves.

You are correct sir. The world evolves but less and less people question it's existence.....

link   
Lack of thread standards is an issue at the root of a lot of problems. We have a lot of newer members making duplicate threads of others, offering zero analysis or opinion, regurgitating the same stuff others post, and generally come across as simply seeking S & F's.

I too was a member years ago, then traveled abroad for awhile with little to no internet access, and by the time I returned I had forgotten my password and the email I originally signed up with. Upon returning, I did notice an obvious decline in posting quality. Hell, often times now members don't even take the time to attempt to use proper grammar or punctuation. Too many posts come across as text messages.

ATS use to be the home to extremely thought provoking, well thought out, stimulating threads which sparked intelligent conversation and extended research within the threads. At this point, that type of thread is non-existent and one has to search back a couple years to find them.

A thread such as this www.abovetopsecret.com... by Skyfloating is a great example. Now, it seems few want to put the time into actually constructing a thought provoking threads, and far too often we get threads with one or two sentences and a youtube clip from OP's, where little to no thought/analysis has been provided. What's worse, is I do see great OP's getting ignored because members don't want to take the time to engage in thought provoking conversation, and would rather just drop one liners in Ron Paul or End of the World threads.

All the evidence anyone needs is to look at the list of the top posters of all time and take a look at the threads they constructed. Two things come up. One, members and OP's in the past held themselves to higher standards. Two, many of those members simply moved on as intelligence regressed around here. I actually think it's a reflection of the education in this country. Critical thinking is going by the wayside in younger members while text message like posts are all too common.
edit on 19-5-2012 by MysticPearl because: (no reason given)

link   

I am not an "old school" member by any means, but it just baffles me that ATS could go from where it was when I first joined, to the argumentative additude that a lot of members seem to have now.

LOL...You should have been here back in 2005 when the owners were making podcast's and doing live shows and anyone could join in. Back then it was fun. These days even the mod's I'm still friends with say they can't stand being here.

There is no longer any direction, no one to lead or light up the room. Just lonely voices bitching about MSM. I miss the old days as well.

That's why I only troll the sight these days, seldom finding anything worth posting to.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   

I just don't understand you at all OP. You haven't been on for a year in which you missed a ton of great threads.

Even a few authored by yours truely. :

You know know ATS has its highs and lows. Sometimes its stock is soaring high. There are other times it swings low.

You can't just pop back in here and tell us we've all gone brain dead.

I won't allow it.

Pss... Exnah, there is a lot more muck to flo thru these days tho. New members not observing guidelines is what I dislike . Don't get me started on the solid walls of letters with no spacing thing either. Sheesh !

Oh and it's not like this thread is real winner either.

SnF

edit on 19-5-2012 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I am finding it kind of amusing that hardly any of the comments on here have been from new members. They either know that they aren't "contributing" to the fight, or just don't care about the content and conversation that goes on here.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   

ATS should be helping the "sheeple" turn into wolves.

ATS should be encouraging critical thought. Not applying terms like "sheeple", or "shill", or "nutcase".

The simple yet effective motto of our membership is "deny ignorance", which signifies an effort to apply the principals of critical thought and peer review to the provocative topics covered within.

Not a lot of critical thought seen anymore. Altogether too much "Hey everybody, I saw this on youtube. What do you think?"

edit on 5/19/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs

I just don't understand you at all OP. You haven't been on for a year in which you missed a ton of great threads.

Even a few authored by yours truely. :

You know know ATS has its highs and lows. Sometimes its stock is soaring high. There are other times it swings low.

You can't just pop back in here and tell us we've all gone brain dead.

I won't allow it.

Pss... Exnah, there is a lot more muck to flo thru these days tho. New members not observing guidelines is what I dislike . Don't get me started on the solid walls of letters with no spacing thing either. Sheesh !

I've been lurking for a bit.

Yes some things have been very awesome, but there seems to be a lot of unnecessary arguing. There always was arguing, but not to this extent.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

ATS should be encouraging critical thought. Not applying terms like "sheeple", or "shill", or "nutcase".

The simple yet effective motto of our membership is "deny ignorance", which signifies an effort to apply the principals of critical thought and peer review to the provocative topics covered within.

Not a lot of critical thought seen anymore. Altogether too much "Hey everybody, I saw this on youtube. What do you think?"

Ah, but a term can describe your train of thought. Do you go with the current or against it? Sheep or Wolf.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Why not more restrictions on threads? How about if someone doesn't follow the guideline, which are a two paragraph minimum for OP's, including analysis and opinion, then their "thread starting" privileges are revoked for 3 months?

I've tried pointing out when OP's are disrespectful by not following guidelines and putting little thought into a thread, and the result in my post being censored as "off topic". This problem is somewhat condoned by MOD's, unfortunately. They could either patrol the forum more, or if they don't have the man power, start restricting the privileges of violators. At this point though, it's those who point out the problems who get hammered.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Ok, you got me! You are absolutely right.

There was a point when I was frequenting ATS in 2011 when I did the wrong thing and would argue just for the sake of doing it. As many of the members here know, I am very cynical, and can be hard to deal with at times. I guess I am probably as much a part of the problem as anyone else.

I am going to come back strong, and try my best to do the right thing and contribute more. I will still probably do a lot of joking around, but I will make sure to also be serious in there too.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   
You have got to remember, we are living in the time when some are WAKING and some remain asleep. There will be conflict, i.e arguments and wars. You haven't seen the worst of it, yet.
edit on 19-5-2012 by SpeakerofTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   

I prefer DOOMTARD... is that okay?

Joking.. joking... seriously Id like to see YOU get a post stickied with some personal links of yours. Over time you seem to have to repeat things over and over to explain certain things that the avg joe here has a question about or misunderstands. If we're going to all deny ignorance and engage in critical thinking.. we must have the data and many here dont know where to look or how to look.. or how to weed through the BS on the net due to info overload and the plethora of incorrect BS out there. Im sure most wont bother to look at the sticky, but some would.. may help.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   

What happened?
I think you know as well as I do, the people that used to post the real ideas have been banned from this board.
I won't mention any nicks as this post would end up in the trash can, but look around, we are missing some thought provoking personalities.
I believe that is what happened.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Advantage

I prefer DOOMTARD... is that okay?

Joking.. joking... seriously Id like to see YOU get a post stickied with some personal links of yours. Over time you seem to have to repeat things over and over to explain certain things that the avg joe here has a question about or misunderstands. If we're going to all deny ignorance and engage in critical thinking.. we must have the data and many here dont know where to look or how to look.. or how to weed through the BS on the net due to info overload and the plethora of incorrect BS out there. Im sure most wont bother to look at the sticky, but some would.. may help.

I'm missing your point here, what is a sticky, and what links are you reffering to? Now you have me interested.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join