It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China continues to Strengthen Its Military.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I've heard it said to keep your eyes on Taiwan, that this could be where WWW3, starts, China seeks to control Taiwan as, well, they wish to control other weaker countries.

While they build there military into an awesome show of might, our law makers in House vote to reduce food stamps, so they don't have to cut anything from the Pentagon's capabilities.

How many of you ever saw the Patrick Swayse film "Red Dawn" The Chinese leaders, historically should not be trusted. They've always sought expansion and control of the weak. Don't you think the possibility of a "Red Dawn" situation happening here. Of, course no group of high school students are going to join in a rebellion, the Chinese are most probably getting tired of bailing us out, what if they call in their marker and we can't pay back?

John H. Cushman, Jr.

WASHINGTON — China is pressing a long-range modernization of its military, part of a strategy aimed at maximizing its leverage over Taiwan, extending its influence farther abroad, but avoiding conflict around its borders or with the United States, the Pentagon said on Friday in an annual report to Congress.

Two months ago, Beijing announced an 11.2 percent increase in its annual military budget to roughly $106 billion. While economic comparisons and analysis have always been difficult, there is no doubt that the past few decades have seen steady expansion in China’s military spending, and the Pentagon’s estimate is that China is investing more than it says, but still only about a fourth of what the United States spends each year on the military.

The video is something I found on Youtube, on this subject, and inserted myself was not in New York times original posting.

edit on 19-5-2012 by 1loserel2 because: add

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I am happy China is gearing up. Now there is a chance to fight back against the Israeli/American joint force that will soon steam roll over Iran. They need a good kick in the teeth.

Too long has the American government spent ruthlessly on military while allowing their country men to die without proper insurance. Sell monsanto one a year seed to already poor and dieing third world countries. Say what is wrong and what is right yet not follow their own rules.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by AaronWilson
I am happy China is gearing up. Now there is a chance to fight back against the Israeli/American joint force that will soon steam roll over Iran. They need a good kick in the teeth.

and what good comes of this? If china becomes the top dog you think it will be any different than America or Israel?

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by paganini

I once asked someone if evil is known why not kill it?
the other poster would glorify a culture above their own culture for the purposes of a simple point?You want Chung Quo?
Thankfully their kind is ignored by the planning and strategies of our defence personel. It is taken personally by those who've lost and continue to fight. Unfortunately is in people like their hands to fix by getting into a corrupt system and changing it.Instead of staying home mesmerized with the drone training games. And fall into a controllable class of citizenry who can't make change at a fast food chain.This form of evil is to be killed by the previously noted poster.I am soon dead from wounds recieved in war.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
687,105,000,000-America
114,300,000,000-China

If they want to strengthen their Military,they better start putting more money into it,that's for sure.

Not worried,but saddened that money like this,could be put to better use.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Did you see that China's military is still decades behind the US?

Red Dawn was Cubans, not Chinese LMAO.

edit on 19-5-2012 by princeofpeace because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
I don't think it fits China's thought process to start WW3 over Taiwan. They think in the long term. It is not worth going to war with half the world over Taiwan in material or political terms. They really only care about Taiwan because it is a de jure part of the PRC and they don't like that the government of Taiwan is the successor of nationalist china.

They are doing perfectly fine with their economic might and they will milk that for all it is worth. When the time comes they can shift their massive industry to modernizing their military and are likely doing that in a small way now, but as long as they can export crap to consumers that is where their economic focus will remain. I think WW3 is at the very least a decade away, barring a flashpoint that would be a war with Iran.

Also, it is a terrible thing to wish for war. You really need to think through what war really is. It is the gravest misallocation of resources. Every single article of war represents productivity that could have gone into feeding the hungry, clothing and sheltering the needy, subsidizing science, and other things that could help bring the human race forward. And in warzones populations are displaces, innocents are killed, families are shattered, girls are sold into sex slavery, looting and robbery is rampant, and collateral damage (now including uranium dust) is rife. Modern warfare is the most devastating thing man can do short of nuclear weapons. WW3 will involve nuclear weapons to some degree, even if they remain a deterrent. Depending on how many decades it takes for the next world war to occur we may have even more devastating weapons to deal with. If you wish for war, you wish for the suffering of mankind. Simple as that. There are better ways to solve our problems.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I would like to sell China our military, we really don't need it. I'm an American. Who is with me?

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Mkoll

I wish people would stop acting as if they know what Chinas leaders are thinking. It doesn't matter what country your from, everyone is human so therefore everyone gets greedy.
edit on 19-5-2012 by Ancient Champion because: Forgot a word

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by 1loserel2

In the movie Red Dawn China was one of our allies, we were invaded by Russian and Cuban troops. Now do you see the issues most will have with the rest of your post?

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Okay, just stating my two cents here, take for what you will.

Ofcourse China is building up an army. Wouldn't you? Russia to the north. America and Japan in the pacific. India to the south. You're surrounded by people that want to rule you, a nation that has stood the test of time for some time now. Yeah. Having an army in a militant world might be a good idea if you wish to remain sovereign.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by earthdude
I would like to sell China our military, we really don't need it. I'm an American. Who is with me?

.......crickets..........

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 06:09 AM
link   
China may be strengthening its military, but so are we.

Very soon we will have multiple robotic shock troops. Don't believe me? The technology is already here:

This is a link about robot soldiers being applied to the battlefield. Robot soldiers don't feel pity, don't feel remorse, they can't be bargained with or reasoned with. If we fight the Chinese they cannot be gambled with or enticed by the riches of Shanghai. They will not smoke cigarettes, go to strip clubs, or be involved in Chinese gambling games.

Robots do not want to play Pai Gow. Humans do. Robots do not want to eat Kung Pao. Humans do. If we continue to implement robotics oriented troops into our military, I do not fear that the united states will struggle with China as a foe. We will have a robot army with glowing red eyes immune to their trappings.

www.popularmechanics.com...[edit by]edit on 20-5-2012 by EdwardKill because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by EdwardKill

I have no doubt that we will use unmanned combat platforms to augment primarily human units. Squad level UAV and little scout rovers will be able to provide much real time data. Robotic vehicles and robot mules will reduce the manpower needs for logistics I could see robot support weapon platforms, for things like mortars, missile launchers, and heavy machineguns/autocannons. I am not sure if we have to tech for humanoid robot soldiers, but if we do, it'll be likely we'll see them. The downside to all of this is that these things are potentially hackable, and whoever has an edge in that field will have a massive advantage on the battlefield

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by princeofpeace

I could've sworn a the end of the movie it turned out the invaded through Mexico and were Chinese, were in charge of it all. Maybe I was thinking of Jericho. That was why name of Red Dawn.

Cuban or Chinese it's the theme of the movie that really counts, we'd probably beat the Cubans easier than the Chinese with what we've got, but still our borders are porus, with not only the obvious, but the Other Then Mexicans (OTM's)'s are getting across too, and our military, while I don't always agree with war, a country does need its military but they should be built up to protecting us.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by 1loserel2

It annoys the hell out of me that some people are so scared
that their country is losing its top dog status, that they have
to start fear mongering on the country that is likely take over.
How many countries have china invaded in the last 100 years?
How many times has china been invaded in the lsst hundred
years or so? China has every right to build up their militery, esp
when you have countries invading other countries.

China does not need to go to war. They are where tbey are today
through hard work, and never needing to invade another country,
and you have the cheek to start this thread about how they are going
to start an illegal war. A war that would cause ww3. What rubbish!

new topics

top topics

active topics

join