It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There Are LOADS Of Jobs Out There, But People Don't Want To Work!

page: 28
<< 25  26  27    29  30  31 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I'm not a big fan of Newt Gingrich, but I heard him say once (I don't recall the exact quote, but it was something like):

"There is no such thing as a lack of jobs, there is only a lack of wages that one is willing to accept."

What it means to all the jobless is that there *are* plenty of jobs out there, just not the jobs they want. Someone who lost their job making $70k/year as middle management at some large company isn't willing to accept $14/hour working as a plumber. It is a job, yes, but not the job he wants.

I'm not saying everyone is like this, but a WHOLE lot of the unemployed are. People are more concerned with "how do I get back to the way things were?" (same paying job, same amount of discretionary income, same lifestyle). They should be concerned with "how do I get by with what's available?" (lower paying job, less discretionary income, etc.)

Frankly, you can't really blame the people though. Congress is doing the same thing. They refuse to make significant cuts in budget and spending to make ends meat, live within their means, instead they are more concerned with how to "get back" to where the economy was in 2007.

Monkey see, monkey do. As long as Congress is doing this why wouldn't everyone else in America?

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by wantsome

I collect walfare and I'm not ashamed one bit. Until I can make a living wage in the richest country on earth I will suck the system for everything I can get. Up yours America!

If you cannot see the fallacy in this statement, you are part of the problem.

Not the solution.

I realise everyone here wants to be rich. Heck, to even have an above average income.

Mathematically, this is imossible though.

Half of everyone you know is below average.

edit on 20-5-2012 by Goldcurrent because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
The jobs you have mentioned some people might not want to do that for work.

Its hard to get in to a job that you enjoy or even stick to, theres not alot of choice and the wages are crap

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by BloodSister

The jobs you have mentioned some people might not want to do that for work.

Having something to eat, clothes to wear, and a place to shelter from the elements SHOULD drive people to get some kind of job, whether it is enjoyable or not. Survival never has been a lot of fun. Would you let your children starve just because you don't like the available work?

Anyone who has your opinion has not yet suffered.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

Simply not true. The majority of plumbers and electricians must go through trade school.

If you disagree, Id gladly challenge you to go out and apply to get that "on the job training" as a plumber. You will absolutely NOT get hired.
edit on 19-5-2012 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

Granted for plumbers and electricians. I could see professional landscaping needing extra insurance. But not for just going to mow someone's lawn. If so, then someone better tell that to all the people suggesting this particular job to kids to make some extra cash. It isn't a bad way to raise some extra cash when needed, or start savings for another career/business.

I believe it was you who asked earlier why get an education to change a job when you already had an education in another feild? If my dad took that stance, he would have lost the house. I remember eating peanut butter sandwiches, because there was nothing else to eat. There were no jobs for people his age in the type of job he was in and pay salary he wanted.

My parents took a chance with no money and started a business with no knowledge of how to run one except basic math. They knew a minimum wage job would not pay the bills. I don't know if he was on unemployment or not. When they started their store front at first was the yard with items in the house. Called a yard sale. They grew from there to flea markets, to antique shows, to having a storefront. Economy crashed, they changed with the times and started to sell on e-bay, and upgraded to Ruby Lane after they learned the basics of selling online.

They created their own opportunity. I'm sure some people could start out mowing just lawns for their neighbors and eventually growing a landscaping company. I seriously don't think insurance is a problem if you are just mowing lawns, or else someone better tell all the people who are suggesting that job to teens as a way to make some extra cash.

It seems like what many forget is that for the average Joe business start out small. For those with families and a large number of children, the extra money can come from the tax return. If you don't get a nice tax return with EIC, then you are doing better financially than we are with a family of five. If you are doing worse, then how are you living without major assistance? Take odd jobs, and save the money up. Yes, it is hard, and you always need the extra money for something. So what if are now trained for two careers. Take a job in the new career until the old one rebounds, and you can find another job like you use to do.

It takes courage to take the first step. Fear is what stops people. Fear is what keeps people stuck for years in the same situation they are in. In not taking that step, you could find yourself in a worse situation later on.

What if I fail? Give up? If my husband had that attitude, we would have lost all our money he invested in learning about his passion, real estate investing. The past two years have been failures. This is his third year, and taking a different approach. He now has a house under contract with no money down. He is close to having another house under contract. His mentor is helping him every step of the way. We are close to finally start seeing our investment money returned to us with a profit.

Did we have the money to spend on the knowledge and later a mentor? No. It could have always been used for something else from getting caught up on bills, replacing something, fixing the car, clothes, food, you name it. We also knew our current situation has gone on far too long. If we didn't do something drastic, it would get worse. He loves real estate. Why investor instead of agent? Investors make more with less hassle if done right. Yes, you can loose your shirt, but we already lost our (figuratively speaking) a long time ago.

Sometimes training for a new career even if for only a year or two isn't an option. I think it was assistant nurses that could train and get a certificate in 6 months or a year. Then they could make enough money to become a registered nurse, and etc.

Sometimes it is turning your passion into profit, for others it is thinking outside the box, for others it is picking up books or learning knowledge online.

If the economy totally tanks, then thinking outside the box and doing what ever is necessary will even be more imperative. Sometimes I think the economy is somehow in a shift, and if we don't shift with it we will get crushed. Jobs are not stable any longer, and big businesses are replacing people with machines. How many cashiers did Giant Eagle replace with the self checkout? It is like people are so focused on jobs not realizing everything is shifting. I see more and more people going into business for themselves, finding unique ways to make money online and off line, and the shift seems to be gradually going away from jobs.
edit on 20/5/2012 by Mystery_Lady because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   
This thread is so wrong on so many levels. First, let me say that my husband works.. hard. He was laid off for a bit after 3 years of 84 hour weeks. During the layoff, he went back to class to upgrade his license. He has been working for the new company for 3 months now. Things are going good again. We were LUCKY. Its just pure luck. He happened to get a call that saved our butts only because he lived the closest to the job site out of all the guys on the out of work list with him. Funny thing is, they hired him for his OLD position.. without the upgrade.

The differnce between you and us though, we know how fast things could go bad. I think your outlook on the unemployed is deplorable at best. You are one of the lucky ones. I know you think its because of your outlook on things.. its not.. not in today's world. Its hit and miss all across the globe. I think you should take this time to appreciate the fact that you are in such a good place right now, because tomorrow it could all be gone.. just like that. And you know what? YOU will be among the ranks of all the people you just worked overtime to put down. You aren't invincible. Why not try to help people? Don't be so demeaning.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Up here all those jobs have suffered layoffs because less people have money to spend on them. Electricians and plumbers might be needed still in emergencies, but as far as people spending money on their yards, on new bathrooms, on upgrading their electrical or adding additions, noone's been spending. People having jobs doesnt equal people having money. Most up here would rather stay on well fare than work at a coffee shop because it pays enough for them to survive without having to work 70+ hours a week

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I can see your point there

but, the % of the people have do enjoy their work, leaves people that do not enjoy their work. in my opinion, id find it very hard to motivate myself for a job thats crap, and a crap wage...

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by LifeIsPeculiar

Fear doesn't drive me.. Passion does.. If I had to get up everyday and do something I absolutely despise then what is the point of waking up??? I would rather die than life a horrible life like that...

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   
I could not have said it better myself

people do not want to work

I referenced you thread op, in my thread

Kent Walls Rant III: Testicular fortitude

first part was over cost cutting

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b
reply to post by TRiPWiRE

Didn't know there was such a demand for post hole diggers. Where do you live?

I live in Australia and yes, there was great demand for them at one stage because no one would actually do it!

There has been booms in the Vineyard industry here, which requires miles upon miles of trellising. That's where the work is locally. Contractors were screaming out for manual labourers but simply could not find enough. They began to rely on machinery. Apparently hand dug holes are much better than posts rammed in by machine. Quite a science this "hole digging"!

Although, as someone else stated - I've only used that as an example. Other jobs I've found around the place included - delivering junk mail / brochures (nice walk!), stone picking in cropping areas, council / highway repair work (they seem to be glad for reliable workers), yard work with livestock, weeding parks etc.

In the mining industry (and others), you can get jobs such as operations over-watchers who are required to watch over certain processes in shifts. You don't actually do anything other than look and report any issues but because it's very boring they are always looking for people to do it. The pay can be quite good.

Basically, think of jobs that you might think would really suck and then seek them out. I'll bet they are looking for reliable workers

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by DYepes

All nice and dandy, those "20-50" jobs, if the govt in NL catches you, ur screwed. (tax evasion and working uncertified)

Once again you guys have it all figured out but are totally clueless.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by ryckE

I would rather die than life a horrible life like that...

You mean you wouldn't want to work a lousy job by day, and then bring something home to your loving family? You wouldn't want to tell your children stories and laugh together?

Your job is not your life. Maybe that is the mistaken notion carried by too many young people these days. Your life is what you do when you are not working. Your job is what you do to subsist. In modern times, we have all been able to do a bit better than just bring home a subsistance. Through this bounty, perhaps people have forgotton how to actually live. Young ones play video games, but they do not hike the beautiful mountain trails. Young people must text each other all day, but they don't go out and build a tree house.

Are you sure you know what it is to live?

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by BloodSister

id find it very hard to motivate myself for a job thats crap, and a crap wage...

I fully understand that. I have been very lucky in that I have enjoyed a long career in computer programming. My particular brand of programming is "close to the metal". I write operating systems, communications stacks, device drivers, and firmware for instrumentation. I must have in-depth knowledge of the electronics to which I connect the computer and in-depth knowledge of the computer itself. I program at the "register level", sometimes in machine language. Most young people gravitated to web design, databases and the like ... leaving my corner of the job market with a great vacuum of people. So even at the age of 63 I am still in great demand.

I was very energetic in school. My enthusiasm for all things computer consumed me and occupied most of my waking moments. Ten years after I left school, they informed me that all of the people who went through that school since I was there did not even come close to doubling the time on the usage meter. A few years later the school even offered to give the now obsolete computer to me. So you see, I was very gung-ho computer.

One professor warned me that one day I would tire of all things computer, so I should be sure to develop good hobbies. I scoffed at such blasphemy! No, here I am after fourty years in the trade; and, I'm really tired of it all, sure enough. Fortunately, I have a lot of terrific hobbies including machine shop activities and rocketry ... a deadly combination for sure.

I can assure you that your job does not define you. It is a special treat when you do love your work, or at least like it. But YOU are not your work. What you do in your spare time truely defines you. Some of the young ones at my place of work have started a "Hacker Space" that is open to folks as a shop facility. People can go there to do machine projects, make metal castings, CNC sewing machines, and even fire dancing! That becomes a service to the folks that make use of that facility. So, those young people are physically contributing to society. Even though they enjoy programming, that hacker space really defines who they are.

Sometimes you can just get a job that puts bread on the table, and then do what you love in your own time. It is even possible that the hobby can be developed into the experience base for a career. Two of our programmers that we employ came from that hacker space ... and they learned programming in that club while the played with the "toys". They don't have degrees in programming; but, they were hired because they can, in fact, write software to the "register level".

The point of all of this is: Don't define yourself by your job. Drive hard toward your dreams ... really WORK toward your own personnal development. A better job may follow from your hobbies. The death of young people today is the VIDEO GAME. That is a time sink that adds nothing of substance to your life. Even if you work a crap job by day and go to school at night, you are still pulling yourself up by your bootstraps.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by ryckE

Fear doesn't drive me.. Passion does.. If I had to get up everyday and do something I absolutely despise then what is the point of waking up???

Don't make the mistake of assuming that your passion MUST be exercised at your work place. It certainly is nice if it does; however, if it becomes necessary you should hold a subsistance job and work your passion on your own time. America went through a period where there could be passion in the work place. That seems to have been a temporary situation, and that is truely sad.

Many generations went before you where work was just torment for lousy wages. The home life was everything to those generations. Perhaps the party is over and we'll all be returning to those times.

I'm 63 now; and, I can assure you that your job does not really define who you are. We have somehow been snookered into thinking that is so. Who you are is more closely defined by what you do when you are not working.

Have you ever heard that old song by Tennessee Ernie Ford called "Sixteen Tons"? That song perfectly encapsulates lackluster employment. What you are experiencing is now a new thing. America did have a short reprieve from it ... but pissed it all away partly at thier own hand by buying Chinese imports.

Buy American. Always.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by TRiPWiRE

Interesting, sounds like a decent job to me, digging post holes.

If they can't find enough workers, they should increase the pay they are offering. Isn't that what the market system is all about, supply and demand. If there is plenty of demand, and a shortage of workers, than the price of wages should go up. These people who complain about nobody wanting to work for them are trying to pretend that they shouldn't have to pay for what they want.

For some reason, employers think they should be exempt from the law of supply and demand. If the wage offered isn't enough for someone to support themselves, then no one will take the job.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Many generations went before you where work was just torment for lousy wages.

In this day and age, with our production capabilities, people shouldn't have to work terrible jobs for lousy pay. While there were periods when people wound up accepting this, there have also been considerable periods where people could get decent pay for what they do.

What has happened is that we have been forced to compete with slave labor in other countries where people do not have any rights, and we shouldn't put up with that, and we shouldn't have to put up with that.

Only people with slave mentalities give in to this nonsense. Stop illegal immigration, and vote in politicians who write trade agreements that protect the rights of the workers.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

Problem is that sometimes an employer cannot find anyone to work hard physical labour no matter the wage offered. People by nature are just LAZY.

In my neck of the woods, oil companies are offering upwards of 100k per year for entry level roughnecks, with minimal education or training required. They are in constant need for employees and have to fly workers in from across the country and abroad.

Yet there are endless able bodied young males working minimum wage jobs, and sitting comfortably on welfare.

Does this make sense to anyone?

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

Only people with slave mentalities give in to this nonsense. Stop illegal immigration, and vote in politicians who write trade agreements that protect the rights of the workers.

You forgot the one that is most important: Buy American. Do not buy goods made in those nations with the slave labor forces. If you bought those goods because they were cheaper than the ones made in America, then you helped make the mess we developed. (You is that general-purpose variety, not YOU in particular.)

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Some of us don't have the choice. All that is left is slave labor sellers. They drove the real people out of business. If you live in the city, yeah, you have choices. I live in the country, and the canadian government flies people in every year, so that factories here can continue paying crap wages. It's easy to live off crap wages as an immigrant, when the government pays for your round trip here, and pays your rent while you are here. Really easy to live off those crap wages, and bring plenty of money back with you to Haiti and Jamaica. Citizens don't have that luxory unfortunately. I put in my application to the factory already, have yet to be called back, because I am "overqualified".

top topics

<< 25  26  27    29  30  31 >>

join