It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Facebook Does To Your Brain

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Just joking? *phew*

For a second there, I thought you'd gone all Libertartian on us.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Eidolon23
reply to post by sonnny1

Just joking? *phew*

For a second there, I thought you'd gone all Libertartian on us.

Touche.................

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Quite frankly, I use this site about twice as much as I use Facebook. Less drama, more interesting, and usually informative.

It's an easy choice.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I found facebook to be very like a drug. It created euphoria and a false sense that I mattered to people in some way. It also crashed me when no one replied or 'liked' whatever I said. Over all my experience was negative. I lasted a few months before closing my account and leaving it for good. It mostly reminded me of High School.

I think social media is just the latest thing to capture our brains, the internet first, followed by video games, which imho, are most addictive. Facebook appeals to the people pleasing crowd. Those of us not into pleasing people are facebook failures. lol I was spared the facebook addiction because I did not receive enough 'likes'.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamschist

I found facebook to be very like a drug. It created euphoria and a false sense that I mattered to people in some way. It also crashed me when no one replied or 'liked' whatever I said. Over all my experience was negative.

My name is ******, and I'm a Facebook-addict.

...please 'like' my status, and share.

edit on CSundaypm010118f18America/Chicago20 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I believe regulation is a foolish band aid. It doesn't actually fix anything.
It actually punishes all the good folks for the mistakes of a few idiots.

Look at how well regulating crime worked out.
Does passing a law making it illegal to steal or kill matter for a criminal?

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starchild23
reply to post by Iamschist

I found facebook to be very like a drug. It created euphoria and a false sense that I mattered to people in some way. It also crashed me when no one replied or 'liked' whatever I said. Over all my experience was negative.

My name is ******, and I'm a Facebook-addict.

...please 'like' my status, and share.

edit on CSundaypm010118f18America/Chicago20 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

ATS isn't like that though because.....
Because we aren't mkay?

Even though we appear EXACTLY like that in almost every way possible, let's just keep pretending that it's totally different.

I mean it's not like ATS is on Facebook either anyways....oh wait.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   
So since Facebook and ATS are essentially the same type of media, user-generated social oriented, etc.

That means the OP not only wants Facebook regulated, but he wants ATS regulated too?
Guess so.

I think it's a really bad idea though and would make things suck.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by michael1983l
I'm on facebook but couldn't give a stuff about it to be honest. I could lose facebook tomorrow and I wouldn't even notice.

Go on then. Post a photo of the screen after you close the account.

Oh yeah...."TOMMORROW"

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Sounds interesting.
In addition to everyone who has also observed it...
this is applicable here too!

mahalo

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 02:07 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

I have one, but I rarely post on it. I post updates about Ron Paul for a bunch of liberal "friends" that don't give a damn and I post scary news for a few hippies (usually dealing with something crazy Obama has put forward), but other than that and talking to my friends and girlfriend in private messages I don't think I have ever shared information like what I was feeling or doing. I usually don't even comment on the links I post.

I see people that get so crazy with it now that they offer up things for no reason. I will see something like John Smith is at home. Or John Smith was at Random Bar.

They offer their location for no reason. Why do people care?

Oh and I get endless invites to retarded games I have never once accepted. If it weren't for talking with like 5 people and leaving a line of communication open for anyone who needs to get ahold of me that wouldn't know how to otherwise I would close it. It's a good way to flirt with girls any other use is superflous.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 02:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
So since Facebook and ATS are essentially the same type of media, user-generated social oriented, etc.

That means the OP not only wants Facebook regulated, but he wants ATS regulated too?
Guess so.

I think it's a really bad idea though and would make things suck.

Hmmmm

I don't know about the Author,but if you read what I said,You would see I am for "personally" regulating it,meaning know when to get the hell off of it,and don't make it the only thing you do in life,next to eating and breathing.

edit on 21-5-2012 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 03:15 AM
link   
I think its a bad development for the kids, and the lonely elderly.FOMO, fear of missing out on things
FOMO really started with things like world of warcraft, going offline ment the virtual world further developed without your influence, all got worse with handheld computers/smartphones whereby being online is a 24/7 task.I deleted my facebook account, created an ocean of time, and I still have all those "real" friends

edit on 21-5-2012 by Foppezao because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Simple, helpful tips to bring manageability and moderation to FB usage:

lifehacker.com...
edit on 21-5-2012 by Eidolon23 because:

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Eidolon23
Simple, helpful tips to help bring manageability and moderation to FB usage:

lifehacker.com...
edit on 21-5-2012 by Eidolon23 because:

Awesome List!!!

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Facebook wrecks marriages

More than a third of divorce filings last year contained the word Facebook, according to a U.K. survey by Divorce Online, a legal services firm. And over 80% of U.S. divorce attorneys say they’ve seen a rise in the number of cases using social networking, according to the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers. “I see Facebook issues breaking up marriages all the time,” says Gary Traystman, a divorce attorney in New London, Conn. Of the 15 cases he handles per year where computer history, texts and emails are admitted as evidence, 60% exclusively involve Facebook.

“Affairs happen with a lightning speed on Facebook,” says K. Jason Krafsky, who authored the book “Facebook and Your Marriage” with his wife Kelli. In the real world, he says, office romances and out-of-town trysts can take months or even years to develop. “On Facebook,” he says, “they happen in just a few clicks.” The social network is different from most social networks or dating sites in that it both re-connects old flames and allows people to “friend” someone they may only met once in passing. “It puts temptation in the path of people who would never in a million years risk having an affair,” he says. Facebook declined to comment.

edit on 5/22/2012 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

Personally, I think the info in your post is worthy of it's own thread, truly saddening statistic and shows the not so glamorous side of the facebook era.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   
I've never understood how it's so addictive.

I go on there once a day, for 3 minutes at most. Just replying to messages usually.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 12:32 AM
link   
I don't know man, this is a really important topic and it definitely impacts my life. For example, I have been doing a lot of socializing online lately - and I think others have, as well.

I just completed a gaming session with friends from around North America, and we used Skype to communicate with each other while gaming so it was really just like hanging out.

I'm seriously considering getting to know a girl better who I met online, and talk with her and use Skype as well, I just hope she's as comfortable with the idea as I am. I did some research and have discovered that a lot of people are having these kind of online "relationships."

Luckily, I live in a house with my parents at the moment, which is a good thing because it means I still do things like eat meals with them and discuss things at the table, or go swimming, or out to a movie or something.

So I think maybe the internet will evolve over time to mimic real-life relationships and not be so impulsive, at least that's what I've been discovering lately, but even then it is going to be weird and a bit unsettling imo.
edit on 27-7-2012 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   
To put your whole life online like that is the dumbest thing one could ever do. It's absolutely so risky, it's insane. some hacker or someone who needs a new identity gets access to your page and he could easily start to become you. They'd have most of the info they'd need. Or if someone wanted to ruine your rep that's another great way to do it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join