It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Warning: Selling coins? Do your research!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

Yup, hard to keep it straight.

Have to look them up every time.

I have some old Lira coins from Italy, one is bimetal.

And one from Iran, bimetal also. Spent some time looking online to decode the date. Arabic dates are complicated. Start with a certain year, add a certain constant to it.

I so have no idea what I am doing...

oh wait, Persian, I mea persian date, Iran is Persian not Arab...

You see the characters on the bottom of the image. That is the date. But to make sense of it you have to add a number to it.

www.worldcoindatabase.com...

So my coin characters are 1376 (I think) add 621.... = 1997

Lira coin looks like this

THe date is really small but I think it says 1987. THey use the Euro now, not Lira....

edit on 20-5-2012 by kawika because: add text

edit on 20-5-2012 by kawika because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by kawika

You bring up a valid point. Maybe this thread can morph into a coin value thread.
Are you able to scan them in so we have pics of your coins? I'd love to see them.
I have some coins from the Bahamas and another really strange coin that I have no idea where it's from. These coins aren't old though, but I love the way they look.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   
last year when silver was $40/ounce I went to a few dealers/pawn shops and was offered about $13 for my junk silver. ended up selling on e-bay for spot.
one of the pawners was selling ordinary non-silver Kennedy halves for $2-$3 each! can get all them you want at the bank for .50.
I appreciate the need to turn a profit but that's about ripping off from where I stand. folks like that give capitalism a bad name. caveat empor! (and caveat sellor too!) star/flag.

also; I was strolling by one of those coin counters last year and a guy had a silver quarter it kept bouncing out. I offered him a dollar for it and he sold. so I guess I'm no better!?

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

I posted some generic images from online.

Will get the camera out and shoot the ones I have and we can discuss.

I have never been to a coin shop, just collected them on my travels.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by kawika

That's cool. I'm way too tired at the moment, but I'll see if I can scan in the ones I have tomorrow sometime. I am curious to see what country the one is from. It think it's Italian, but I'd like to know for sure.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Well.. I would say that selling those coins for 5 bucks was kind of foolish (no offense, just would be better to hold on to than sell for a gallon of gas and a slim jim). Not that you gave a way a treasure or anything just seems like a pointless transaction like you got rid of them because you wanted to sell something rather than needing to.

Just hold them and wait for the price of silver to go up. Last summer silver went up to close to 60 an ounce and it will go up again. If you are going to sell them at all sell them on ebay find people that want silver as an investment not a quick turn around. Someone that is buying for an investment is going to pay more because they expect their pay off in the long run rather than trying to get it under priced and making money on it while it's still at the price they bought it for. So for anyone reading, I repeat, sell on Ebay and you can not only get exactly what they are worth, but people are silver crazy and will pay over the market price. I found a silver necklace that was 4 oz of sterling silver and sold it for 160 bucks on Ebay a few months ago. Found it on the ground!

Just watch the silver markets and hold onto your silver and gold if you have any. You never know for sure, but the banks have been manipulating the silver market to keep it from going up. They don't want people trading or purchasing precious metal they want people to rely on fiat currency.

Hell save your copper pennies (all 1981 and older) they are currently worth twice as much as their face value. Canada just stopped using pennies so all those people (companies rather) that have saved thousands of pounds of pennies are gonna make a huuuge profit. There are already discussions in the US about ending the penny and there are plenty of companies buying up all the copper pennies (we are talking GIANT amounts with machines to sort them out) waiting for them to be discontinued so they can double or triple their money when it becomes legal to melt them and sell the copper.
edit on 21-5-2012 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by kawika

Interesting. I have never had any. The only foreign I have ever researched are Indian, British, and Canadian.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   

sell them on ebay

I don't see any difference between what I did and an eBay transaction.
By the time eBAY and PayPal take their cut and you pay your listing fee bill, you probably come out with the same amount I got from going to the show.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Could someone tell me the value of this coin?

1878 CC silver dollar

Any help would be appreciated.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by sharintexas

Are you able to provide a photo of it?
If not, is this the one you're talking about?
www.coinfacts.com...

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Well you did well with what you had, you got pretty much what it was worth and the extra you could have made is negligable, but in the future if you have a larger amount I wouldn't go that route.

Well.. you were selling a very small amount and recieved a little below spot price. If you are selling an ounce or more on Ebay even with the listing fee an PayPal you are likely going to recieve AT LEAST spot and get exactly what it is worth, but often when selling larger amounts you will make way more. Trust me, I am not telling you wrong I have no reason to. I mean I wouldn't go through the trouble to list two small coins, but if you are selling a couple ounces I promise you will very possibly and even likely make more than what they are worth.

Don't take my word for it, use an online silver price calculator and then see how much that amount of silver is going for on Ebay. See how much a roll of silver quarters or silver dimes goes for and then find the weight of them and see what they are actually worth with a silver calculator. Look at a roll of silver dimes and divide the price by 50 (the amount in the roll, I know you know) and see what the buyer is paying per coin and compare that to what you got.

I promise you will always make more selling to someone that is investing or collecting than you will someone that is just trying to make a profit (that only makes sense). With that necklace I mentioned, I think 10 or 15 dollars went to paypal and ebay which I found pretty annoying and kind of high, but I still managed to make about 40 or 50 dollars above the spot price of silver. If you are selling a decent amount the fees wont hurt you.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by sharintexas

If you really have that coin.. I can find someone to buy it off of you easy cheesy (through something reputable like ebay or an auction site of course). It is a good date and the carson city mintmark will make it worth quite a bit more than other morgans.

I couldn't help you with a price because it varies so much depending on authenticity, condition, so forth.
You would have to send pictures of it and weigh it. But potentially you have a very valuable coin.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Thank you and I certainly appreciate the advice.

I will most certainly turn to eBay if I decide to sell other valuables of this nature because, as you said, the sale will be closer to the actual value if the item(s) have more bulk compared to what I just sold.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Ive been buying/selling silver for a few months now, I wait for estate sales and search sites like kijiji and I try to buy cheap as possible. I also ask my bank to hold any silver dollars,halfs and some really nice tellers will even put aside quarters and dimes if they notice them and I get them at face value. 2 weeks ago I went and picked up 2 bags of silver dollars and half dollars all at face value.

Ebay is a good place to sell BUT paypal can give you a hard time if you dont cross your t's and dot your i's. IMO Silver WILL RISE and I expect it to hit 75$ per troy oz at least in the next year so I buy and sell and I use my selling to really offset the cost of my long term silver savings. Ideally I like to work it out so after I profit from a sale I am hoping to pay half the current spot value on any given lot I purchase.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Yes...it was my mama's...she collected some. I have several old coins, some foreign.

I will try to get a photo of it and post...

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   

will post a photo soon....

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
1964 kennedy is the ONLY kennedy that is 60% silver......So you didn't research much before still getting ripped off....

You could have sold it online for double what you got for it...

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chrisfishenstein

1964 kennedy is the ONLY kennedy that is 60% silver......So you didn't research much before still getting ripped off....

You could have sold it online for double what you got for it...

no, the 1964 Kennedy is 90% silver. 1965-1970 Kennedys are 40% silver clad. the 1970 was not circulated, sold only in collector sets.

if I only had 1-2 coins I'd sell locally, but I use ebay rolls and large qtys.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Selling those coins for melt value is deemed as being ripped off.

Selling them at numismatic value is what you should be looking at via a Blue Book on U.S. Coins.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join