It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

44 baby deaths in Srinagar Hospital in 2 weeks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   
This is just awful! I can not imagine what these families are going through. So many babies are dying in this hospital. Is this depopulation or death from infection? If it is infection then the women are also at risk, whatever it is it is an awful tragedy.

I do understand that India is not as well equipt as most western hospitals but this appears to be a multi-faceted problem.

LINK

The Chief Minister today visited the hospital, where 368 kids have died since January 1 this year, allegedly due to negligence and inadequate facilities. “My office and myself had to step in because of the gravity of the situation,” the chief minister said and added that the levels of cleanliness are extremely poor inside the hospital and greater discipline is needed with respect to the presence of attendants accompanying the patients.

Six days ago

A few attendants said there were more children dead in the ICU. “They are not telling us what to do with these flowers (babies). They have died but they do not let us leave this place. It is a butchers’ place,” said Muhammad Abdullah of Nagbal Pahalgam. He said Yusuf’s “did not die but was killed due to doctor’s negligence.” Women said their babies had long died. “This pipe is full of blood. They put this (pipe) into his nose, through throat and ears. Blood oozed from his body parts and he died six days back. But they say he is alive. I want to tell them then why don’t they come and examine him further,” Dilshada said. HoD G B Pant Hospital, Dr Javid Choudhary had to come a long way from his home only to face the wrath of the furious attendants. “What the hell is going on? Your doctor killed my son and you are absent,” Yusuf shouted.

Blood oozing from his body sounds like haemorrhagic disease or similar. In the UK vitamin K is given IM is given to reduce incidence of haemorrhage in infants. This may be the only child who died this way and is not due to infection. I will continue to research and update on this.
edit on 19-5-2012 by Threegirls because: spelling

Apparently the government are more concerned with the upkeep of the roads than the running of hospitals. It seems that saving lives is not a priority, especially of children who have few rights it seems.

This comment really shocked me:

According to official records, the hospital admitted 4274 neonates (new-born patients) in 2011. While as in the same year the hospital recorded 475 neonatal deaths including 320 pediatric deaths, which they say was higher than this year. The officials due to the inspections by the higher authorities couldn’t trace the data of the last three years.
Official records at the GB Pant Hospital (January 1, 2012) show that around 358 children died during the period in the hospital against 1229 admissions. A large number of 105 deaths occurred in March. The number of deaths in January was 68 while in February the figure stood at 66. In March 105; in April 85; in May (up to 12th) 34 deaths occurred. But paradoxically, there are only five ventilators catering to around 1700 patients on average at G B Pant Hospital.

LINK
edit on 19-5-2012 by Threegirls because: to add another point

edit on 19-5-2012 by Threegirls because: same

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I wonder if India has dying rooms like in China and the word is just getting out so they are blaming it on something else?

In China if the family already has their limit of 1 child the the extra children are left to die in dying rooms in the hospital.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Very interesting article. We in US also give Vit K shots. I wonder what is going on over there. I am sure there will be many posters who start talking as if none of it is a big deal, even put you down for posting it. I really wonder where some ATS members hearts are.....the reports of dead babies, death rooms and forced abortions have brought out of the wood work people who think we are crazy for showing empathy.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Starwise

I have been shocked to my core lately by the people I have come across especially on this site that think of human life as useless and fetuses as parasites...it sickens me...I fear for our future.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Thank you for the replies and yes I agree with all the points you have both made.

It is truly heartbreaking that life is regarded as cheap and compassion is ridiculed.

It will not stop me from talking about it though and trying to open the hearts and minds of others.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Threegirls

If anyone cares enough,...
Look into hospital borne infections.
Somewhere in there you will find my sister and my neice.
My neice died and my sister tore out after these institutions in order to make them pay.
She has never accepted cash reward as there is no cash amount you can put on your baby, but you sure can shake the hell outta the system.
Most everyone loves babies.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Terrible, 44 deaths..

The sad part is, there's 4,400 babies dying every day here in America, and no one gives a flying f*ck.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

Also my Grandfather and 14 week old niece (MRSA and NEC). I know there is a problem with this here. The superbugs are caused by over use of anti-biotics mostly.

Being costly this is unlikely to be a factor in India.

Not everyone loves babies unfortunately my friend, especially little girl babies. The parents usually love their baby but the society has some cold aspects. I love people of all countries but some cultures, not so much.

My local hospital has slightly more births than this hospital per year and if the mortality rate was anywhere near like theirs the whole of the UK would be up in arms.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Lionhearte

That is awful and I do care. 4400? that is many devastated families. I never realised how many babies die each year until 3 people I know lost their babies. It is dreadful.

We are talking about 44 babies in 14 days at one hospital here. The death of a child is always shocking and heartbreaking. I do worry about the lengths that some doctors may go to in the pursuit of attracting the attention of their government for better facilities, the on going population propaganda and lack of care afforded to infants in some countries.
edit on 19-5-2012 by Threegirls because: to clarify

edit on 19-5-2012 by Threegirls because: same

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   

I am not speaking of superbugs that occured when doctors over medicated the simplest of infections just so they would not have to do their job and diagnose something.

I am speaking of protocols that do not get followed as hospital staff is lazy.
Every time a doctor or nurse comes into your room and before leaving, they should wash their hands, not all do.
Everytime a room is evacuated, the entire room should be wiped down 100 percent coverage.
These and many other things should be done but this does not happen.
My neice was infected 7 times before the last one got her.
I could call twice, even three times a mistake, 7 is complete negligence or murder even.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Infection? Or ....

investmentwatchblog.com...

Hiding Vaccine-Induced Polio In India

Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation is a founding member of the GAVI Alliance (Global Alliance for Vaccinations and Immunization) in partnership with the World Bank, WHO and the vaccine industry. The goal of GAVI is to vaccinate every newborn child in the developing world.2

“Now that sounds like noble philanthropic work. The problem is that the vaccine industry has been repeatedly caught dumping dangerous?meaning unsafe because untested or proven harmful?vaccines onto unwitting Third World populations when they cannot get rid of the vaccines in the West.3
While data from India’s National Polio Surveillance Project showed NPAFP rate increased in proportion to the number of polio vaccine doses received, independent studies showed that children identified with NPAFP “were at more than twice the risk of dying than those with wild polio infection.”

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

I am dreadfully sorry for your experience. Hospital staff do have to fulfil their responsibility in regards to hygiene. As an ex hospital worker, I can say with confidence that most do, and many of them have the dermatological problems to prove it. Thorough and meticulous hand washing does take its toll, it can't be helped. The alcohol really burns when applied to them too. Thank you for bringing it up.

frazzle

That is shocking but considering some of the things I have heard these past few years it disgusts but does not surprise me. It is certainly a candidate for the cause of some of these deaths. Thank you for your input.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 07:46 AM
link   
this is a freaking nightmare for those parents ...
what exactly is the cause of death?
my heart goes out to these families ...

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by alysha.angel

It gets worse.

895 babies died there last year

That negligence has taken place is obvious because protocol dictates that all hospitals which are falling under the Medical Education department have to convey their mortality numbers to the Principal Government Medical College, Commissioner-Secretary and the Minister concerned. As per the data sent to Principal Government Medical College here, 895 deaths were reported last year. This year the number of deaths stands at 380 so far. Official sources said this year there had been 68 infant deaths in the hospital in January, 66 in February, 105 in March, 85 in April and around 56 up to May 15 this year. The average deaths per day at the hospital is almost same for 2011 (2.45) and 2012 (2.42)

This sounds less like negligence and more like murder. No word on causes.
If there is an underlying cause like prematurity, malformation/deformity caused by pollution and all of these sick babies are being sent to this hospital specifically. It could be a form of eugenics.
I don't know, maybe this really is nobody's fault but I just have this bad feeling.

Scratch that

More deaths

“The infants admitted in the NICU wards died today due to lack of proper treatment and negligence of doctors,” the attendants alleged. They said there were no doctors in ICU during night hours. “Only nursing staff was present in the wards who couldn’t handle the critical condition of the babies that led to their death,” the attendants said. Haleema, mother of one of the infant from Budgam said her baby died after a nurse came and gave her an injection. “My baby was all right and was undergoing a routine checkup. A nurse came and injected some medicine into him, soon after this his body turned pale and he died early in the morning,” said Haleema, mother of Faizan, while holding her dead baby into her lap.

edit on 21-5-2012 by Threegirls because: To add point

Parents lay their babies in the road outside the hospital in protest. The pain and anger they feel....it hurts.
edit on 21-5-2012 by Threegirls because: to add another point

new topics

top topics

join