It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Karma and Duality are philosophies of evil

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
If you believe in duality, you believe that EVIL will always exist. You might as well not care about the world, but just yourself and your close ones, do nothing for the earth.

If your house has dirty rooms, you can just say "this is duality" and leave it dirty and stay in the clean rooms.

This is a philosophy of cowardice. It can even make you lazy and apathetic.

Karma is heartless and evil. If you believe that if you do good, good will come back to, then you are only doing good for yourself, not from your heart to help others. If you believe that bad will lead to bad, then you will become unforgiving and merciless.

A person can have a SLAVE-LIKE mentality due to karma. They can feel bad about themselves and blame it on karma.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Karma is a very real thing, but not in the sense that some people make it out to be. If you are a person of character or even a person with major character flaws but have redeeming qualities, that will reflect how people treat you.

However, some people like to read a lot more into it. Like this thread asking if Fukushima was karma for US WWII bombs, because "radiation is going to leak out over the ocean" or some other nonsense.

In contrast to the "theory" covered in that thread, I offer Pol Pot, someone who was responsible for millions of deaths, yet spent the latter years of his life under house arrest.

So called "karma" didn't really equal out there.

And I don't really think helping out yourself is a bad thing, as you can't help others unless you help yourself. But interesting premise you have raised.
edit on 19-5-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by arpgme
If you believe that if you do good, good will come back to, then you are only doing good for yourself, not from your heart to help others.

In my opinion this statement is incorrect. Because even if you do it for yourself (which we humans always kind of do) you spread your light to other people. And that light you send to other people will then be spread again and again to many many people. In the end it becomes a cycle of light.

Haven't you ever noticed how you are in a better mood when other people smile at you? You then will be more inclined to smile to more and more people. And all this because once, there was a selfish man who decided he selfishly wanted light and good on earth as it could help himself feeling better.
edit on 19-5-2012 by CityFarmer because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

You say duality is evil, and non-duality is not evil...

(Duality Non-Duality)

That in itself is a duality

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I disagree,

Karma is a tool that you can use to learn life lessons.

Example - Without the negative (evil as you call it) there would be no positive (or love), So imo karma is just the choice to do positive or negative, if u choose the negative you are just riding the wheel of karma, but if you choose the positive path over the negative than you can continue and learn more lessons.

I realize this isn't well explained its 3am and i'm very tired, perhaps ill come back after I sleep and explain further.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

If you believe in duality, you believe that EVIL will always exist. You might as well not care about the world, but just yourself and your close ones, do nothing for the earth.

Yes, evil will always exist. But there must also be good. Without knowing evil how can you truly know what good is? I care about the world because I know there are many people who couldn't care less. If everyone were to take up an attitude of not caring then there would be no duality would there.

If your house has dirty rooms, you can just say "this is duality" and leave it dirty and stay in the clean rooms.

Once again, if you were to allow all the rooms to become dirty there would be no duality. And if you were to believe that all the rooms could be clean all the time you would be delusional.

Karma is heartless and evil. If you believe that if you do good, good will come back to, then you are only doing good for yourself, not from your heart to help others.

You are correct about this actually... but you need to consider how karma may actually work. If you help others with the sole intention of simply helping yourself via karma, and you don't really care about helping other people... do you really think karma would reward you for doing something which wasn't about helping other people, and was all about helping yourself? I don't think so... but I don't necessarily believe in karma anyway. I believe in probabilities.
edit on 19-5-2012 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   
if this than that, if this than that,... you can "if this than that" ad infinitum.

your logic here is static. very stiff. life is more organic and wiggly than that.

we are all addicted to rationalism. it's a disease.

"we don't see things as they are we see them as we are" ― anaïs nin

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Karma is the law of cause and effect, ...a law of physics.
Is that no longer a law now? News to me.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Here is a simple lesson in karma by the way OP:

We have two men, Jim and Chris.

Jim borrows money from people $5 at a time every week. Jim never pays anyone back. Jim believes it's a small amount so it matters not. People still lend him money because they don't believe it is in their professional courtesy to decline such a small amount.

Chris on the other hand is a sometimes forgetful person because of his schedule, always borrowing about the same amount for lunch and other things everyday at work. Chris on the other hand always pays out his debts every payday with interest that was never asked for.

In years to come, Jim is known as a deadbeat and Chris is adored by all the people who he has been straightforward with. When both of them asked their colleagues for referrals for professional networking like mortgage agents, etc. Chris was given some great advice to see professional people much like himself that are good on their word.

On the other hand, no one trusted Jim, so no one offered up their personal Rolodex for him to connect through. Jim ended up with a sub-prime loan from Fannie and Freddie and he is currently getting foreclosed on.
edit on 19-5-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Karma is the only explanation for what is happening to man and the Earth. Karma is the law of action and reaction. Don't be quite so certain that your correct because your not.

Karma scares you because it makes you accountable and it is exact. I would do some more studying if I were you.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

It sounds like you explained the qualities of Pasifism and not Duality.

Hot climates exist and Cold climates exist.

With this knowledge, we can choose where to live, where to vacation, and how to plan and prepare for the varying degrees between the duality of hot and cold temperatures.

Knowledge of duality is empowering, in that it dissolves the vagueness and mystery of one pole to the other and reveals the balance between.

This allows us more wisdom in choice and understanding in how we deal with the experiences of life.

I see no cowardice or laziness to be found in such a concept.

Peace.

edit on 5/19/12 by Sahabi because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Karma is heartless and evil. If you believe that if you do good, good will come back to, then you are only doing good for yourself, not from your heart to help others. If you believe that bad will lead to bad, then you will become unforgiving and merciless.

Aaaah - in your example above, you have overlooked an important key - intent.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
Karma is a very real thing, but not in the sense that some people make it out to be. If you are a person of character or even a person with major character flaws but have redeeming qualities, that will reflect how people treat you.

True, but if you call that "karma" people will confuse that with its definition: that bad goes to bad and good goes to good which is not always true and therefore karma is not a law.

Originally posted by CityFarmer

If you believe that if you do good, good will come back to, then you are only doing good for yourself, not from your heart to help others.

In my opinion this statement is incorrect. Because even if you do it for yourself (which we humans always kind of do) you spread your light to other people. And that light you send to other people will then be spread again and again to many many people. In the end it becomes a cycle of light.

So? That doesn't make the statement incorrect. I never said that the light wasn't spread to others, just that they are doing it for selfish reasons...

Originally posted by Sahabi
reply to post by arpgme

You say duality is evil, and non-duality is not evil...

(Duality Non-Duality)

That in itself is a duality

You do know that the prefix "Non-" means "Not", right? So how can non-duality be duality, you aren't making any sense. This is also circular reasoning...

Originally posted by Ovadose
Without the negative (evil as you call it) there would be no positive (or love)

A lot of people state this as fact. That is scary. This is like saying "we need dirty rooms and clean rooms", no you don't you can choose to always keep it clean before it becomes dirty.

Just like you can always clean the world with care, because it becomes corrupted with suffering...

Originally posted by ChaoticOrder
reply to post by arpgme

Once again, if you were to allow all the rooms to become dirty there would be no duality. And if you were to believe that all the rooms could be clean all the time you would be delusional.

They could be clean all the time, if you do something before it gets dirty. If you keep things neat and organized in the first place then you won't have to worry about cleaning it.

Just like we can use care to clean up the dirt of suffering.

Originally posted by orbitbaby
Karma is the law of cause and effect, ...a law of physics.
Is that no longer a law now? News to me.

This is a disgusting comparison. Karma says that good rewards good and even rewards evil. Causality just says all causes have effects.

Karma says that if a person does evil, they WILL get evil back.

Causality says that if a person does evil, that will lead to an effect, and that effect may be that they get away with it. HUGE difference.

Karma is a corrupted form of causality. It is not accurate.

Originally posted by prophetboy12
Don't be quite so certain that your correct because your not.

I never claimed to be certain about anything. I am just making observations, that is all.

Originally posted by prophetboy12
Karma scares you because it makes you accountable and it is exact. I would do some more studying if I were you.

Yeah, just like the bogey man scared me because it was accountable and exact. And you are a judgmental person, because I don't agree I must not have done much studying. Again, I came to this conclusion BECAUSE of the understanding.

Originally posted by Sahabi
reply to post by arpgme

Hot climates exist and Cold climates exist.

No, Hot climates exist, and LESS hot climates exist. It is only one thing.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I thought Buddha did everything he could to escape karma? Why? Because it is never-ending suffering. Like walking through a minefield, one wrong step, and you suffer for it, life... after life... after life. Really, I think karma is an automated torture mechanism.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

No, Hot climates exist, and LESS hot climates exist. It is only one thing.

Well, this type of reasoning would indicate that evil doesn't exist, only LESS good/righteousness exists. It is only one thing.

Hope you're having a great weekend my friend! Too busy with work to enjoy it myself :p

Peace.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

They could be clean all the time, if you do something before it gets dirty.

You and I both know that doesn't make sense. You wouldn't need to do something if it weren't dirty... or to put it more eloquently, you can't clean something before it gets dirty. You clean to remove the dirt. What you are suggesting is literally impossible. How can you remove all the evil people before they are even evil, how would even know they were evil? Clearly you must understand the contradiction in your words....

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

I don't think there is a duality, just varying degrees of one thing. For instance "good and evil," there is no separation between the two, just varying degrees of difference. All dichotomies are false.

In my opinion, it's apparent that there is no such thing as karma. Its also apparent that we will try as hard as possible to tell ourselves otherwise.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

What I mean is, you can do something before it gets dirty. You can always clean up after yourself so that the room doesn't become dirty. This way, you never have to worry about doing all of that cleaning because it will never be dirty since you CARED enough to clean up after yourself.

If a book falls on the floor, you can care and pick it up, or you can be careless and let more books fall on the floor daily until the floor is dirty.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

You can always clean up after yourself so that the room doesn't become dirty.

Gosh... it seems you are lacking all signs of logical reasoning.

The need to "clean up after yourself" would indicate there is already a mess which needs to be cleaned. The mess may be brief if you clean it up quickly, but it will still be there time and time again... thus resulting in inescapable duality. This is simple stuff bud...

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

You are doing everything in your power to defend your belief .

There is a difference between a dirty filthy room, and a room that is clean that sometimes have a little bit of dirt. It is cleaning up the little bit of dirt so that it won't become a filthy room.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join