It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Woman's Right to Choose? - Not to have an Abortion even if Baby has Downs?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Sorry Darth I thought it was you not that Silo13 DB. Thx to whoever removed his dumb post.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by DarthMuerte

Well I know a person here in Florida that signed away their rights to almost every child and does not pay support...because they signed their rights away. So I don't think that is statewide maybe in your County they still got to pay. I think that differs depending on area, which is very unfair. The woman carries the child= she has the choice, but she also should be the responsible one for that choice, and I think it is shady to do otherwise. if you're going to dis include the male in the choice then you should not rely on anything from that other parent at all. Just saying.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
@ Seeker: I completely agree with you. You have more of an insight than what I had. Our family never had this in our genes before so it was either drugs/age/ or maybe some recessive gene my aunt had. It doesn't help that they did some drugs in their youth (probably A LOT less than some of us or at least me). Yet they waited til she was 35ish to try to have a child, because they finally were rich enough to give it a perfect suburban life.

My Dad is a PA and he says that around either 30 or 35, I can't remember, the chances of the female having a Downs baby is about 20%.

That's why I'm encouraging my sister who is 35 and married that if she wants to have kids she should start trying now. And that's why I hope when I have children it'll be with a woman around her late 20's, 30 at the latest.

Still I take alprazolam and I heard that xanax is somewhat mutagenic (maybe it isn't true, hope not). So because of that and previous drug use I would have concerns. I know I would definately go clean for a year off my prescriptions even if I felt like $hit and would DEFINATELY examine my sperm if I was trying for one. Which I have training to do myself but no gel electrophoresis machine to map out their genetic code... =\

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
In regards to the question of if you're married. Then I really would need to say go to a counselor, and not a religious one, they are ALL against abortion IN ALL circumstances. A psychologist marriage counselor would be best. They would advise her that it would be selfish to have the child and expect help from you. But technically if you're still married then by being there she would recieve financial support anyway, no? Except through divorce so most likely you would have to divorce her, yes.To tell you the truth if you're discussing it now, that's a good thing, your chances of it happening anyway are very low. The odds are against it, but again by discussing it before hand, maybe someone will reach a compromise. I don't know and maybe knowing this now gives you insight as to this being the wrong person. That is if you can't see her view or she can't see yours or both.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity

Well I know a person here in Florida that signed away their rights to almost every child and does not pay support...because they signed their rights away. So I don't think that is statewide maybe in your County they still got to pay. I think that differs depending on area, which is very unfair. The woman carries the child= she has the choice, but she also should be the responsible one for that choice, and I think it is shady to do otherwise. if you're going to dis include the male in the choice then you should not rely on anything from that other parent at all. Just saying.
Not according to the law and a few family law sites I checked.
Example
According to Florida law statute 39.806, the only voluntary way to give up your rights and not pay support would be in the case of an adoption of the child by another adult. Statute

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Crazy thing is, I actually started a topic about the way our chemistry is. I dated her for like 1 week during college and we had a great physical relationship and I saw her in between or while she was on break in different relationships and we've always had a GREAT GREAT physical attraction. And then when she called it off with her fiance and I met up with her about a month ago, it was almost as if we were still teenagers in college and time never changed, but in a good way ya know? And I love her views on life and her opinions, she's actually quite smart and I can talk to her about anything, religion, politics, war, etc and unlike most girls she actually knows what she's talking about. It's crazy, kinda like we have interlocking pheromones or something lol

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte

Originally posted by ldyserenity

Not according to the law and a few family law sites I checked.
Example
According to Florida law statute 39.806, the only voluntary way to give up your rights and not pay support would be in the case of an adoption of the child by another adult. Statute

Beleive me most women do this, they find another sucker to pay, but that's true, and I beleive those exes found other men to adopt the babies, as most of the women do. I do, like I said, think it's unfair as it stands, I don't think they have the right to force slavery on the man for the woman's choices. It's very unfair. I did just realize those babies were taken in adoption by other men. However, I also know Florida is not very strict on the CS orders I've yet to see one man not paying that has been brought to jail for it down here, nor for any other state either, my significant other owes tons in NJ and still hasn't been taken in for that down here in Florida they don't really enforce it(from what I have seen), but that is just one state.

That's why I say I am not hypocritical, I beleive that it is unfair to force morality to either party involved.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Swing80s

But where the important stuff is concerned if you cannot reach a mutual agreement, then I would say that is more important to focus on...I am just saying physical attraction and likes/dislikes aside, where it really counts the two cannot agree, that's a big red flag.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
OP...Stop calling yourself 'pro-life'. If you would abort your baby because he/she has a chance of being born with Down's, you're not pro-life.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I believe a woman should be able to decide to have an abortion up until the child is 25 years old.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by lobotomizemecapin
I believe a woman should be able to decide to have an abortion up until the child is 25 years old.
Why stop there? I know of many adults that could use a "retroactive abortion"

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by lobotomizemecapin

N'YUCK N'YUCK N'YUCK

OP you could always get a prenup saying that if this were to happen and you were married that she absolves you from all support for that kid. I think. I am not sure about this 100%.
Maybe you shouldn't have partook in the drugs, methinks...how about not procreating at all, just keep using what's been working for ya'll.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   

eh after 25 they are societies problem and society should decide whether to have the abortion

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Hey dude, I think there's been lots of good advice in this thread and would like to give you my pov plus another pov some don't often think about.

First, I'd like to say I've known a couple people growing up from school and now at my sister's campground who have downs syndrome. I don't know them great, but def acquaintance. They were always nice and pleasant people as well as very respectful to just about everyone I've seen them interact with, but they do have the mind of a child, a young child. (Maybe not that even, I don't know their cognitive ability.) I like to think though that if my mother knew in the womb that I had such a horribly debilitating disease she would have aborted me because I wouldn't want to live life like that! I doubt anyone with downs or a similar impairment would want to have been born either. Sure that's the only existence they know, but to me it seems more cruel to have a baby for selfish reasons than to abort a baby with life altering diseases from the moment they are born. (If it's known in the womb ahead of time.) So, who's to say that baby in there even wants to be born with such a horrible handicap and it's horrible. Imagine being trapped in such a brain and body yourself using your current faculties and I say that because someone with downs may not even be able to think like that. I dunno if that's the case though. ( miracle is a one off thing and humans having babies is not a one off thing. It happens thousands and thousands of times every single day. At least, let your kid's "soul" be born into a properly functioning vessel. )

You can probably tell by what I've written what I feel about the situation. My child will be tested genetically in the womb so I have the knowledge of whether it's healthy or not. A child with downs is far from healthy. If he will be born with a disease like downs, I would have him aborted and try again. It doesn't run in my family, but who knows these days with pollution et al! I would not want to be born like that and I doubt anyone else would either. I feel it is more sympathetic to never let them experience a living hell in the first place than to have to be trapped inside a crippled mind and body. My reasons don't even have to do with money at all. I don't plan on having kids anyway so it will take a mighty powerful and important woman to change my mind, but I know what I would do in a situation like that and I want a girl who feels the same way as me. I think it's rather mean and selfish to bear a child that you know has a life altering and debilitating disease like downs compared to saving the child from a life of pain and an inability to truly have a shot a living life to the fullest and learning all they can. That's how I feel at least as I would never want to be born like that. Just because they look happy on the outside doesn't mean they really feel like that on the inside. I'm sure they question why they have to be born like that while everyone else is "normal." Dunno if they can feel such things or think like that, so can't say for sure. Lest anyone say it, I'm no eugenicist, but knowingly giving birth to a child with horribly debilitating diseases especially mental as well is cruel and usually done for selfish reasons like appeasing ones god. Don't forget they won't ever know how awesome sex is and that is for a very good reason. My child will at least have the chance because I have that power these days through screening for retardation and other diseases in the womb. Just my 2 cents man!

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
We're both pro-life and she just told me once she would carry it anyways because she told me either her sister or her cousin were supposed to be downs children according to what the doctors told her parents and they came out fine, so she wouldn't want to have it on her conscious that she could have possible killed a perfectly fine baby.

The most messed up thing I heard recently was that my neighbors kid - the middle child - knocked up his gf he was only 17 and she was 19 and anyways because this adult is so freakin retarded A. For having sex with an underaged boy. and B. For getting pregnant (she's 19 for God's sake when I was with my 19 year old gf there was a thing called the pill which meant you could have sex without condoms and not get pregnant). Anyways she got it aborted. Since we were both out smoking a cig one day I kinda gave him a pro-life not lecture but kinda talk and I feel bad about it. Because he knocked up the 19 year old the very next week (not sure how that works maybe next month, seemed like a week to me). Anyways he told me he wanted to keep it this time but because he Uterus was so messed up from the ABORTION SHE JUST HAD she had a miscarriage and my blamed her for killing his baby which he told me later he was thankful for and then he dumped her for being a slut.

Do I give bad advice?

Anyways's we're not even at the point where we're talking seriously about anything, especially babies, just BC. So it's not even a problem, just a point that raised a question I thought I'd want to post here.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Oh yeah and if I do get married there will definitely be a prenup unless I'm lucky enough to be a full-time Dad

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Republicans are continuing their war against women.

Republicans feel they need to control women in every way.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
What does that have to do with anything?

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   

He is political trolling it has nothing to do with the topic.

On topic:

No abortion even if it has downs it's call eugenics.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   

And so let me guess, women are nothing more then baby making machines, EXCUSE ME! As a man myself and as as a gay man I do know no matter how hard I try, I will never get pregnant. Does life begin at conception? Sure, that seems logical. But when does that life begat a personality, in effect become a person? How the f*** do I know?
At the end of the day, all I am left with is the obvious. A woman is is REAL thinking human being, who just happens To have an assortment of several million cells that are growing very rapidly inside her? What she wants to do about it should be up to her interest, and not the State. The day anyone gives up the liberty of our own person willingly,is the day we are all seriously screwed,

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join