It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

General Motors gave big money to Democrat Lobbyists after bailout

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   
GM’s Bailout Bucks
Washington free Beacon -- BY: Bill McMorris - May 18, 2012

Hmmm.

It seems that GM somehow saw fit to funnel some big money (more than $1 million) to a couple of Democratic Lobby groups right after the U.S. Government "bailed out" the big company and allowed the United Auto Workers Union to become the largest single stock holder.

General Motors has funneled more than $1 million to two powerhouse Democratic lobbyists since the taxpayers rescued the automaker in 2009.

GM teamed with Navigators Global and the Podesta Group beginning in 2010 and soon arranged six-figure contracts with lobbying teams headed by Democratic bundlers Vin Roberti and Tony Podesta. Each earned top nods from GQ’s Monthly Power List soon after inking the GM contracts.

Roberti has been the automaker’s highest paid lobbyist since 2010. The longtime- Democratic activist and film producer has represented a slew of Democratic allies, pushing for unionization expansion as a UPS lobbyist, which FedEx Corp. called a UPS bailout; broadband internet stimulus for AT&T; and support for the TARP bank bailout on Citigroup’s behalf—the same bailout that would later rescue GM.

The "Lobbyists" also have ties to other shady businesses and politicians.....
read the story for many details
---> GM’s Bailout Bucks

Related Shenanigans

It seems there are some Obama bundlers that have some dark shadows cast upon them.

Washington Free Beacon Staff - May 18, 2012

One of President Obama’s major campaign bundlers has ties to controversial mining practices in Africa, the Daily Caller reports:

Marjorie Rawls Roberts, a campaign fundraising bundler for President Barack Obama who lives in the U.S. Virgin Islands, is tied through several professional and personal connections to alleged blood diamond financiers.

In a lawsuit filed in federal court in 2011, former Glacial Energy CEO Gary Mole’s former business partner, Michael Petras, alleged that millions of dollars of the company’s profits were funneled to another firm, Gemico, to “fund mining in the Congo.” Glacial Energy receives tax breaks in the U.S. Virgin Islands through the Economic Development Commission.

The St. Thomas Source, a U.S. Virgin Islands newspaper, reported that International Peace Information Service—a non-governmental organization that criticizes conflict mining and other abuses—spotlighted Gemico as conducting activity suspiciously similar to blood diamond mining, while claiming it is actually mining for tin and other alluvial mineral deposits.

Roberts appears to have close ties to Margie Duncan, Glacier Energy’s director of public and government relations. The two appear in photos together on Duncan’s Facebook page, and Roberts once served as Duncan’s attorney in a criminal case, despite specializing tax law.

Obama’s Blood Diamond Bundler
Diamonds ARE Forever !!

Jeffrey Katzenberg (born December 21, 1950) is an American film producer and CEO of DreamWorks Animation. He is perhaps most known for his period as chairman of The Walt Disney Studios when Disney produced some of its biggest hits, including Good Morning, Vietnam, Dead Poets Society, The Little Mermaid, Pretty Woman, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Sister Act and The Lion King. As a founder and CEO of DreamWorks Animation, he has overseen the production of such animated franchises as Shrek, Madagascar, Kung Fu Panda and How to Train Your Dragon.

Washington Free Beacon Staff - May 18, 2012

The New York Times reports today on the rise of China’s “princelings,” the children of the Communist Party’s former and current leadership, who have taken control over many of that country’s most profitable businesses.

The New York Times reveals that Katzenberg’s silent Chinese partner in the deal is Jiang Mianheng, the son of former Communist Party leader and Chinese President Jiang Zemin.

What the New York Times does not reveal is that Katzenberg is the largest donor to President Obama’s Super PAC Priorities USA at $2 million and a major bundler to the Obama campaign, having raised more than $500,000 for the President’s reelection campaign.

Also not revealed by the New York Times, Katzenberg and his studio are currently under SEC investigation for bribing Chinese officials in order to obtain access to the Chinese market.

Katzenberg Tied to Chinese Corruption
Are Katzenberg's "Priorities" in the "USA" in proper order ?

Sounds Like "Corruption Incorporated" !!

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
All obama was doing
was bailing out his union buddies
when he bailed out the auto tech.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Idealistically: I think its a damn shame that corporations can do anything whatsoever to even remotely influence political discourse. Corporations are the downfall of capitalism and has turned a rather nice idea of capitalism into a tyranical form of fascism.

Realistically: Corporations are (now) people, my friend.

I say that with rueful bitter irony. One of those if you can't beat them, join them statements...taking the high road only leads to extinction..I am not sure who is target for my anger more...the republicans and their successful attack on our nation by empowering corporations above people, or the democrats that accepted it and now walking down the same path of destruction. I understand it mind you, I just don't like it at all...but the question is valid...high road to extinction, or low road to competitive edge

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by popsmayhem
All obama was doing

And when Bush bailed out wall street and the banks?

If we are counting sins, I would rather deal with the sin of helping out the unions (common workers united) than the tycoons that destroyed the financial system for big boats.

Save the rich doesn't resonate as much as save the workers.
edit on 19-5-2012 by SaturnFX because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

All obama was doing

Some people argue that the Democrat controlled 110th Congress and the financial ultra Left Wing underground had a gun to Bush's head.

Others argue that Bush may have been catering to the RINO factions within Congress.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Really?

Ok, so if you are a company whose been around for...decades.

And you go through some rough times and the government saves your ass.

Then you actually pay it all back, and end up a stronger company in the end because of it.

And you're surprised that they are helping to fund Left end lobbyists?

Really? I mean, that's the WHOLE reason that GM still exists in the first place. It's just commen sense to not bite the hand that feeds you.

I'm not saying I agree with how this went down or anything, but it's not surprising they would support those who supported them.

~Tenth
edit on 5/19/2012 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

All obama was doing

If we are counting sins, I would rather deal with the sin of helping out the unions (common workers united) than the tycoons that destroyed the financial system for big boats.

Save the rich doesn't resonate as much as save the workers.
edit on 19-5-2012 by SaturnFX because: (no reason given)

The workers still lost their jobs,
I am talking about the people
that RUN the UAW

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Should I be surprised?

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Well I'd think it'd be weird if
they gave money to chumps
like Romney who said "let them fail."
(Of course he now now takes
credit for their recovery and then some)

Is it odd the NRA doesn't give to the democrats?

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
There is differing opinions on how the GM loans were paid back and even if GM still owes the U.S. money.

from May 1, 2010 -- NYTimes

..... Neil M. Barofsky, the inspector general overseeing the troubled asset program, revealed this detail when he spoke before the Senate Finance Committee on April 20.

“So it’s good news in that they’re reducing their debt,” Mr. Barofsky said of G.M. But he went on to note that G.M. was using other taxpayer money to make the loan repayment, according to the transcript of his testimony.

Armed with this information, Mr. Grassley fired off a letter to Mr. Geithner on April 22, asking for details of the transaction. “I am concerned ... that this announcement is not what it seems,” he wrote. “In fact, it appears to be nothing more than an elaborate TARP money shuffle.”

Repaying Taxpayers With Their Own Cash
About the same time frame as money going to lobbyists ? ... Hmmm

from TRNS -- 2/17/2012

General Motors reported a profit of $7.6-billion for last year—a company record. Since taking bankruptcy in 2009, GM reduced its number of brands, closed factories, closed dealerships and revised its union contracts. With lower costs, it makes more profit even while selling fewer cars.

Does that mean the auto bailout worked? No. GM still owes government $14-billion, even after paying back part of that debt. And taxpayers spent another $27-billion to buy GM stock. And although GM stock is up, our stake is only worth half of what we paid for it.

So Uncle Sam is still owed $14-billion by GM and has another $13-billion in stock losses. For every one dollar that GM just reported in profits, it cost Uncle Sam about four dollars.

It’s good to keep everything in perspective.

GM Reports Profit, But Owes USA

from Feb 16, 2012 -- ABC News

To date, GM has paid back $26 billion of the $49.5 billion bailout and U.S. taxpayers still own 30 percent of the company in stock.

GM Posts Record $7.6-Billion Profit

new topics

top topics

join