It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SceneTap Facial Detection in San Fransisco Bars and Clubs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 07:23 AM
link   
I have seen threads on here discussing the up and coming trend of facial detection/recognition and did not see this new application yet.
SceneTap

Making sure your at the happening place is now way easier than waiting in line and paying that cover.

Here are some excerpts from the FAQ on their site:

How does SceneTap's technology work?

SceneTap uses anonymous facial detection software placed inside a venue. Based on facial characteristics of patrons, SceneTap technology approximates age and gender with a high degree of accuracy. SceneTap also counts the number of people entering and leaving the venue at any given time to report crowd size.

This seems 'Big Brother'-ish. Is my privacy at risk?

Not at all. In fact, SceneTap has no idea who you are and does not collect personal information. You give up your personal information when a doorman scans your ID or you check in via foursquare, but not when you enter a SceneTap venue. It's less intrusive than paying a bill with a credit card. Though the software is video-based, SceneTap does not stream or record images, and no one - including the operator of the venue - has access to the video.

Here's a link to an article from SFweekly on the new "service": San Francisco Bars to Install Creepy Facial Detection Cameras Inside Venues

We have the choice not to go to a place supporting this type of data collecting, however; I feel this trend is going to be huge, and in the next year or two more commercially launched, not just bars and such. I personally like my privacy and would prefer not to be living in "The Minority Report". Anyway, looks like the unsuspecting public are getting another social networking app, and one more indoctrination into the "it's OK to be tracked, traced, and data-based" mindset.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Unsettling.

What's even more unsettling to me is the Stockholm-Syndromish ways people jump to defend incremental invasions of privacy like this. "If you don't like it, don't go there. If you don't like every lamppost and tree spying on you, don't go outside! If you don't like companies and the government slithering into your shower and refrigerator with a microsope, don't eat and take showers! If you've done nothing wrong, you have nothing to worry about."

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Novaroc

2 thing jumped out at me.

1. San Fran, a liberal bastion if there ever was one. Seems typical that they would encourage this.

2. It doesn't save info? Isn't that what the TSA said about the body scans?

edit on 19-5-2012 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-5-2012 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

new topics

join