It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The future of Freemasonry

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 04:38 PM
link   
As a Freemason in ScotlandI want to see Freemasonry continue its willingness to be open in the way that non Masons see us. I think that most people see us as being a society of men who help Masons and non Masons and that we are an organisation who do much good in the community.

Gerard

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gerard
As a Freemason in ScotlandI want to see Freemasonry continue its willingness to be open in the way that non Masons see us. I think that most people see us as being a society of men who help Masons and non Masons and that we are an organisation who do much good in the community.

Gerard

Although this is slightly wandering off topic so I'll be brief: I wish this was more of the case rather than the much biggoted viewpoint expressed by other posters in here.

After the National Lottery in the UK we are the second biggest donator to charity and unlike the Rotarians we don't go collecting off others we often dig deep into our own pockets for charity.

However I digress, I see no need to reveal or justify anything we do to the public so in that respect in the future we should have our privacy respected. I think we have that right? But someone needs to put the Cat amongst the Pidgeons to shake Masonry up especially beurocracy and the arcane way we recruit. Doing it the way we do by asking someone you know gives it that elitist feeling. I went to the Edinburgh Tattoo last year and was very pleased to watch the procession go by of differing fraternal orders out in the open and proud to be associated. Masonry should do more of that kind of thing and one big thing I think we should do is hold open air rallies in the towns and cities lets get people talking.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 10:35 PM
link   
For what it's worth...

Our lodge raised 7 MM's this year, all between 25 and 50 yrs old. Most of us joined because our dad's were masons, or granddads, or uncles, etc.

The older brothers wear suits and ties, but clean jeans or work clothes are the norm for those of us that attend lodge right after work.
We have supper and BS a little before opening, usually about 20-25 brothers attend regularly, and we take turns providing supper. Nothing really fancy. We have several family days and ladies nights every year.

It's a OLD fraternity, based on a belief in God, good moral values, brotherly love, and a willingness to help fellow humans. Nothing more, nothing less.

Except for the plan to rule the world with the Lizard Kings! (jus' kidding!)

Bob in SC

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Dilligaf,

I think this is definatley the way to go as well.

The older brothers wear suits and ties, but clean jeans or work clothes are the norm for those of us that attend lodge right after work. We have supper and BS a little before opening, usually about 20-25 brothers attend regularly, and we take turns providing supper. Nothing really fancy. We have several family days and ladies nights every year. It's a OLD fraternity, based on a belief in God, good moral values, brotherly love, and a willingness to help fellow humans. Nothing more, nothing less.

And a more openess when we are recruiting new candidates.

posted on Nov, 13 2004 @ 06:39 PM
link   
The English Monarchy has no official rule anymore, just a fancy tourist attraction. Besides that they are not of English decent - Saxe-Coburg-Gothe if I remember correctly from Germany.

Originally posted by billmcelligott

Originally posted by lucifuge
In the UK in particular for me I would like to see UGLE stripped down a little to much of a lumbering Dinosaur for my liking. In order to move with the times it needs to be nimbler and more ready to move. I believe the Marquis of Northampton is going to be a big driving force both now and in the future. But I think for Masonry to be more readily acceptable for todays society I think we need to look at retiring links to British Monarchy. And definatley more openly advertised for membership in the media.

As a UK Mason I would agree that some changes would be a good thing. However I am not in favor of retiring the Monarchy. As with the Country I believe that absolute power corrupts absolutely, I would not like to see the politicians have absolute power in any form.

I have for some time tried to get support for a more democratic system, where members elect people to the office of decision. I see no reason why this should be a problem in the future. One member one vote.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join