It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need a Math Solution!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:
Ut

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by shbaz
What makes you guys assume it's a power function? Parenthesis have always meant multiplication in my math books, without exception.

Actually, once you get to high school, parenthesis mean "function of".

A(n) reads as "A of n", much like f(x).

The reason everyone's assuming it's a power function is because that's how the problem was described. Read the OP.

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Yea..I'm taking differential equations and i'm seeing no way to solve the equation of last theorm. That's a tough one. where z^n i'll email my professor.

Only question i have is...Why is your son learning power rules in 3rd grade?

Unless he's just trying to learn A^n = A x A x A x A where the number of times A gets multiplied is just n. then so on after you place constants where the variables are.

That seems most logical.

Ut

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 04:08 PM
link   
The theorem has never been proven directly. To prove it, you have to show that it's equivalent to something else that you can prove. Never covered it in class, though.

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by sisonek
it looks like your kid's teacher mentioned fermat's last theorem: mathworld.wolfram.com...,

which is the claim that x^n + y^n = z^n (x to the n plus y to the n equals z to the n) has no positive-integer solutions for integer n > 2. Ie, for n =2 this is equation just the pythagorean theorem:

that in a right triangle with sides a, b, and hypotenuse c, then a^2 + b^2 = c^2. Moreover, there are examples of integer a,b,c that make this work: 3^2 + 4^2 = 9 + 16 = 25 = 5^2, for example.

Fermat's last theorem says that for n > 2, you can no longer find any three integers x,y,z such that x^n + y^n = z^n, and the proof of that claim has taken almost three hundred years to find, and was definitely among the most difficult math problems of all time (thus far).

LOL i made this problem ALOT harder than i needed to. I thought you still had A^n + B^n + C^n = Z^n lmao wow yea...

In that case where A^n + B^n = Z^n easy to see and solve after looking at the website and especially by just using pythag's theorm

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ut
The theorem has never been proven directly. To prove it, you have to show that it's equivalent to something else that you can prove. Never covered it in class, though.

say what prove what theorm? which one are you talking about?

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by CookieMonster000
hmm i erno im in the 8th grade and i havent gotten a problem like that ever!

Yes good point this isn�t a grade 3 question. In grade 3 you should be learning basic math tables and such. And doing things like mad minutes but not this variable stuff... Chances are your child wouldn�t even be able to understand it.

[edit on 10/1/2004 by SirKillallott]

Ut

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aether

Originally posted by Ut

say what prove what theorm? which one are you talking about?

Fermat's last theorem. Was there discussion of another one? I must have missed it.

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Fermat's is based on the Diophantine Equation. Look at the website a little you'll see it floating around in the form posted previously. Theorm's are not Law's you also have to remember that. So technically you don't have to base a theorm off anything besides common accepted knowledge. Look at the big bang theory its all based off common sense, and has a lot of holes in it.

Ut

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Theory != thorem.

A theorm is a mathematical concept which has a definite proof. The only proof a theory has is proof that it is wrong.

The big bang theory is not based on common sense at all. It's based on emperical observations. Background static, the idea that the cosmic redshift is doppler in nature, and a relationship between the distances to other galaxies and the speed at which they're receeding from us. Common sense isn't used in the sciences because, more often than one would care to admit, it in no way describes reality.

The proof of Fermat's theorem isn't trivial. I've had it explained to me, and I zoned out in about thirty seconds. I don't have the head for proving theorems.

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Whoops. I did a little google search assuming that the parenthesis are power notation and came up with this site.

Still, way tough for third grade.

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Okay, I go away for a few hours and you all went wild! Thanks for all of your help

To clarify:

Upon further questioning, it was not asked of him to solve it, just to find who and where the solution was given. I'm not sure he wrote it down correctly, but I personally felt it was Fermat's Last.

And, for the record, the value of (n) is greater than 2.

Edit: Spelling

[edit on 1-10-2004 by everlastingnoitall]

IBM

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 11:18 PM
link   
LOL I have take Differential Equations and even we havent seen it. Trust me big guy this is not a fourth grade problem, its probably something easy like others have said.

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 11:25 PM
link   
well its very diffrent why don;t you ask your son where did he get it from
cause the n in the brackets must have to be multplied by a,b,c, or somthing

posted on Oct, 2 2004 @ 03:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ut

The big bang theory is not based on common sense at all. It's based on emperical observations. Background static, the idea that the cosmic redshift is doppler in nature, and a relationship between the distances to other galaxies and the speed at which they're receeding from us. Common sense isn't used in the sciences because, more often than one would care to admit, it in no way describes reality.

lol
LOL
LOL

whats your educational background?

[edit on 2-10-2004 by Aether]

Ut

posted on Oct, 2 2004 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Undergraduate degree in astrophysics...

Now, mind telling me what's so funny?

[edit on 2/10/2004 by Ut]

posted on Oct, 2 2004 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Well, like I said, I think I agree that it is referring Fermat's Last, but I need to ask his teacher on Monday. Probably my kid wrote it down wrong.

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 12:02 AM
link   
i think, shbaz, the way you phrased your last statement was misleading. never, really, does it describe our reality, because our reality doesnt involve borrowing energy, matt-anti-matter reactions, or the first three minutes. well never know, really, what happened, so in a way its not reality, but its a damn good explanation.

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amorymeltzer
i think, shbaz, the way you phrased your last statement was misleading. never, really, does it describe our reality, because our reality doesnt involve borrowing energy, matt-anti-matter reactions, or the first three minutes. well never know, really, what happened, so in a way its not reality, but its a damn good explanation.

Are you sure you meant to post in this thread?

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 12:09 AM
link   
lol, yes. simply a response to a question about what you said. defending it, if you will. the actual topic of this thread got tossed around in circles about five times, before deciding we needed the guy who wrote the damn thing, not a proof.

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Third Grade...Wow when I was in third grade that just consisted of multiplication.....

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join