It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Half of Florida high school students fail reading test

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 04:06 AM
link   

Half of Florida high school students fail reading test

ca.news.yahoo.com

MIAMI (Reuters) - Nearly half of Florida high school students failed the reading portion of the state's new toughened standardized test, education officials said on Friday.

Results this year from the Florida Comprehensive Assessment Test showed 52 percent of freshman students and 50 percent of sophomores scored at their grade levels.

Students in the 10th grade must pass the exam in order to eventually graduate but can retake it if they fail.

The results came days after the Florida State Board of Education voted to lower the standards needed to pass the writing part of the test, known
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:

www.wctv.tv

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 04:06 AM
link   
Well in the midst of the tragedy, I have to laugh.

Some of the most highly educated people in the country are "in charge" of the "education system" and yet we continue to hear about complete failures like this one !!!!

This part is Really Amazing !!

The results came days after the Florida State Board of Education voted to lower the standards needed to pass the writing part of the test, known as FCAT. The test is administered in public elementary, middle and high schools.
So they "lower" the writing standard and fail to "lower" the reading part

Didn't Somebody in the "Administration" "think" about That ?

And

The board took the action in an emergency meeting when preliminary results indicated only about one-third of Florida students would have passed this year.
I would certainly agree they have an "Emergency"

I wonder if the board members got any "Emergency" pay for the "Emergency" meeting ?

Who keeps getting rich from all these boondoggles anyway ?

ca.news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 04:12 AM
link   
Dumbing down the population is working fine

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 04:15 AM
link   
So whats the use of posting this??

If you're from Florida, you cant read it!!....

IT just says...Blah, blah, blah, Donuts, blah, blah, blah, beer......

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 04:25 AM
link   
I'm appalled. Lowering the testing standards is the exact opposite of what should be done, which is to raise the standards of the teaching, as well as demand higher standards of our teachers.

Our politicians throw money at any problem they please of grande proportions outside of our borders, while leaving little left to help something as vital as our educational system within our borders.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 05:33 AM
link   
reply to post by MysticPearl

The students can read, they just cannot comprehend the material as well as the school expects.

Most of the jobs out there don't require a high level of reading comprehension anyway.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 05:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by QQXXw
reply to post by MysticPearl

The students can read, they just cannot comprehend the material as well as the school expects.

Most of the jobs out there don't require a high level of reading comprehension anyway.

In your view then,

does funding the corruption justify the results ?

Unless the real "goal" has been achieved ?

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 06:06 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

You will not find a shortage of posts on ATS concerning the lack of resources spent on education.The public wants money thrown at the problem.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 06:41 AM
link   
You have to speak English before you can pass the test.....There is the root.....

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cloudsinthesky
You have to speak English before you can pass the test.....There is the root.....

Over on the west coast of Florida only 27% of the Tampa bay area 4th graders passed the written part of the FCAT. The west coast has fewer families who recently emigrated from non English speaking countries than the east coast.

I wonder if they graded ATS posts by the new FCAT standard how many would pass?

Oh wait that last sentence is a shallow unrelated rhetorical question

edit on 19-5-2012 by Cauliflower because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 07:25 AM
link   
The government is getting exactly the results they are paying for. They want useful idiots. They do not want peons capable of actually expressing their thoughts or comprehending the thoughts expressed by others.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   

no, because education is handed out by the state.
It is also supported by local taxes. which is why no two systems are the same.

it is not a coincidence that my state and massachusettes have the best school systems in teh country, and the highest incomes.

income also determines parental involvement. in poverty stricken areas, you have a single parent working two jobs while their kids run the street at 11pm.
in my area, mothers stay home and go to every pta meeting, bake gluten free cookies for every event, and have perfect hair.

it is also the demands of the community. The DC metro area is extremely competetive. not going to college is like being a high school dropout.

the statements that schools are trying to dumb down students is stupid and shows you don't have the first clue how funding works.

the better a school does, the more funding they get.

edit on 19-5-2012 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   

It's Miami, heck half of them cant speak English much less read it. If they took care of the immigration issue maybe the scores would be normal or even excel.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by gort51
So whats the use of posting this??

If you're from Florida, you cant read it!!....

IT just says...Blah, blah, blah, Donuts, blah, blah, blah, beer......

I'll have you know 80 % of the population in Florida isn't even from Florida, some are retirees (Many have custody of their grandchildren), Most of them are illegals (which I beleive is where the issue lies) and some like me are transplants and those that are from Florida (born and raised) can read fine...except if they're from Ruskin or Gibsonton...lol JK JK ...hahaha.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by MysticPearl
I'm appalled. Lowering the testing standards is the exact opposite of what should be done, which is to raise the standards of the teaching, as well as demand higher standards of our teachers.

Our politicians throw money at any problem they please of grande proportions outside of our borders, while leaving little left to help something as vital as our educational system within our borders.

yes I'd say we need to have a better/more ESL classes...English as a second language for those who have not dealt with the school system. My daughter got very high in reading (Both daughters actually) in FCAT but we're in hillsborough co.. I dont' think american citizens are the ones failing.
edit on 19-5-2012 by ldyserenity because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-5-2012 by ldyserenity because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Cauliflower

I didn't know that but then again the high school and fifth graders scored very high in Tampa Bay. It may be they need to get better teachers for fourth grade also it may be the generation because my kids passed fine also when they did attend fourth grade, but they may have upped the curve too idk but like I said Ruskin and Gibsonton are two areas I can see lowering the curve lol.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

OMG you live in Stepford?
And so sorry for ya.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by xavi1000
Dumbing down the population is working fine

And some of the dumbing is being done by people in general via youtube and the likes. The TV comes to the internet. No need to be able to read anything more than simple words.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Get the government out of our kids education and thing will improve dramatically.

Defund and get rid of the Department of Education.

Private and home schools are the way to go.

top topics

join