It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

question about time

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Hello guys im a long time lurker and new member here. I was thinking about time and wondering if time is caused by the expansion of our universe ,and stretching of space, and if planck time is the rate in which it happens. I am in no means an expert on physics just looking for some insight on the topic thank you

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Sounds like some physics ya got going on there. I had a friend who taught physics. He snapped. REALLY SNAPPED BAD. I just think of it all as very very very complex stuff that makes sandwiches taste good. Sometimes simple might be better

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 02:58 AM
link   
I suppose that a link between rate of universal expansion and time could be drawn. The problem that i see is that the rate at which the universe expands is not a constant. Current calculations put the rate of expansion at 71Km per second, however this rate is constantly increasing. Many theorist predict that according to most models this rate will continue to increase until it reaches 300 000 Km per second (The speed of light). If we had to apply this to your Time relative to expansion theory we would have to consider that time is then speeding up and will continue to do so until the universe had reached peak expansion. At that point, rate of time would be progressing 4225 times faster than today.

Well thats just my 2 cents anyway

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 03:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by person13
Hello guys im a long time lurker and new member here. I was thinking about time and wondering if time is caused by the expansion of our universe ,and stretching of space, and if planck time is the rate in which it happens. I am in no means an expert on physics just looking for some insight on the topic thank you

I am really into physics in a big way but never studied it at school. I have had to learn over the past 15 years or so on my own using MIT videos on the web and books.

As for your idea about time, well, its as good explanation as any other out there because no ome actually knows what time is! There are some good vids on time but no one has nailed it.

We know space and time are intertwined thanks to Einstein and his relativity theory but thats as far as we have proceeded really.

Some say time is static and that we just percieve different parts always moving forwards others say it doesnt even really exist, but I am not one of those believers

Anyways, Welcome to ATS dude. Hope we can talk about some of this stuff. I am working on gravity at the moment and have been for about 7 years now.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 03:21 AM
link   
reply to post by person13

Just like to add, plank time is the hypothetical shortest time, if we look at time in a similar way as light then its possible i believe that time also is not a single stream from beginning to end but rather comprised of smaller parts much like light is comprised of photons. I thought about this some years ago, I called them timelets because there wasnt any mainstream scientific name.

It could be that one instant of plank time represents a timelet?

Not sure if that helps you out but certainly worth considering

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 03:25 AM
link   
reply to post by person13

Hey man, I think you might have a better chance of understanding time by visiting the metaphysics threads - a lot of discussion on this subject over there, not exactly scientific though.

I don't think it's really possible to study time by using scientific reasoning. You'll just do your head in. It's a bit like science trying to understand consciousness. It's impossible - because it is beyond the parameters of where the human mind is currently at. I think one day we will be evolved enough to go there - when we transcend this 3 dimensional reality.

For you science nuts, flame away at this (hippy) response. He He

Peace Out

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 04:43 AM
link   
I think it is probably more important to remember that time does not occur at the same rate in all locations throughout the universe. Enormous wells of gravity, including black holes, heavy stars and massive gravity sources of similar ilk, can slow the rate of the speed of light, and where black holes are concerned even destroy the continuity of time itself, or freeze it in place by arcane and little understood means.

Because time is not an absolute constant, it is very hard to imagine a way to confirm your theory, but it is interesting none the less, and worthy of more thought.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I believe that time is a man made concept that doesn't really exist... Sort of like a distorted description of what we notice around us... A modern day version of the belief that angry gods were creating lightning... After all, "time" is measured by astrological movement (sun, moon, and earth) which determines, day, night, time in between...

Time is a way for mankind to come to terms with change in the universe that surrounds us. It's a philosophical concept in my opinion which science is trying to scientifically/mathematically demonstrate...

Take this straight line for example ----------------- It was made from one dot (pixel) and many dots were connected to it in a series... We can sit and analyze the way it was made and come to the theory that over time it became a line blah blah blah... but in the end, it is only a series of pixels lined up one after the other...

"Time" is also similar in its composition... It is a series of actions and reactions which follow each other in sequence one after the other... Creating a virtual "line" of sorts in the universe...

In other words, it is my opinion that "time" is a concept which is nothing more than a series of things which happen in our universe and that humans use the series of semi constant planetary/lunar/solar movements to map and keep track of these movements...

Hope this makes as much sense to you as it does for me... lol

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Yes time is caused by the expansion of the universe in a way.

When the universe was an infinitely small point then noting could move or more importantly "change". Time is a measure of change.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

I am sure that time speed could vary with time. It already varies each time a mass is moved in the universe. But for now the effects are impossibly small.
I am a bit classical-physics kind of guy, though, I find there is a lot of holes in the expansion theory of the Universe. I know, Hubble said it expanded, but that was basically just a guess based on the galaxies' s redshifts. I EVER the redshift is caused by something else that only movement, then the theory falls in pieces.

BTW, nice avatar you took. Beautyfull.
edit on 19-5-2012 by swan001 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join