It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Friday night in Chicago...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   
I've been watching and listening to the online scanner feeds for Chicago on and off for a couple days now to follow the happenings on something more informative than media and thought it might be interesting to share what it seems a typical Friday night in Chicago looks like.

Source: Cook County Page

You know the scary thing about this? I don't even see anything on that list that strikes me as Occupy or protest related unless Occupy suddenly found an entirely new love for guns I never knew them to possess. This reads like normal crime in the city up there.

The thing that makes this more than a passing interest is that this is one of the first things I look at when something is reported to have happened in the U.S. or Occupy is particularly active in one city or another. Those text alerts aren't real common and I rarely see more than 1 or 2 on any given page from multiple days. That's quite a list for one evening.

There are certainly benefits to living in rural areas, eh?

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Yeah, well, Chicago has parts that are quite dangerous. I'm from there. What was it, 2 years ago or so where they started calling it the new murder capital cause there was like 36 Chicago public school students killed over the course of a year? I don't know.. but yeah, unfortunately that could be a typical Friday night. Can you pinpoint which neighborhoods they're taking place in? I'll tell you whether it's out of the ordinary or not

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by bacci0909

Well, two of those reports give cross streets... I'm not as familiar with Chicago proper as I am with the outlaying areas. I once did see an 18 wheeler getting on the interstate south of downtown WITH someone on the side and trying to break his window. I was going south as the other truck was getting on north so I have no idea how that little drama turned out. As a trucker in the Midwest I couldn't manage to avoid it. All the people I ever met at shippers or businesses were nice people though. What a situation in some of the cities.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Ah yes, I see that now. And it makes sense. Both of those intersections are in very bad areas.

I love Chicago. Moving back there in a couple months actually. But yeah, parts of it are really dangerous.

Edit to add: Also, because I assume it's why you are keeping track.. neither of those areas are places where NATO protesters would be. Unless they're lost or retarded

edit on 19-5-2012 by bacci0909 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 01:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by bacci0909

Edit to add: Also, because I assume it's why you are keeping track.. neither of those areas are places where NATO protesters would be. Unless they're lost or retarded

edit on 19-5-2012 by bacci0909 because: (no reason given)

Well, the way that site works for how the feeds are displayed, the text alerts come at the county level. This was very interesting to watch last fall for all the surrounding counties to Alameda/Oakland. You could literally watch the mutual aid "HELP!" calls go out into the neighboring counties long before media picked up on anything actually changing on the streets and get a sense for how bad it'd get by how many counties got the requests.

Chicago may get pretty wild on the radio channels as the weekend develops, is what I'm thinking. I'm sure they'll be using entirely different channels for anything of importance at the level that security is this weekend, but a lot can still be learned from the street cops talking. I'm figuring it's worth the effort as a background thing anyway.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 03:50 AM
link   

Definitely. It's a great idea and a useful tool. I look forward to any updates from you.. I've been anticipating this weekend from afar, I don't have the time/patience to watch livefeeds, but I want to keep up on things. I keep telling my friends back there to at least stay out of downtown

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Just chiming in to say that I would be interested in whatever comes over the scanners too Wrabbit2000 (is that your cb handle by any chance?)
Please post anything of interest that comes over the radio.
Much safer than reporting from ground zero.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 07:10 AM
link   
I'll do that with the updates! To be honest, after this weekend, I'm taking a few weeks off blogging and the whole thing. I need the break and this is as good a time as any to call it for some real time away from it all. I'll hang in there through the weekend and see what happens in Chicago first. Afterward though..whew.. "I need a vacation" rings true a few times over.

top topics

join