It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Peace Keepers Pledge

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 12:27 AM
link   
I was thinking the other day about how ATS reminds me of the Cantina in Star Wars.
There seems to be an overabundance of rude mean spirited people with overly inflated digital egos
Not enough Luke Skywalkers or Obi Wans.

God forbid you are a newcomer and think you're just going to come in here and share a UFO video you shot last night.
We all know how that turns out don't we.

"I'm a wanted man on 12 systems".

...."I'm sorry, I'll try to be more careful"

"YOU'LL BE DEAD"!!!

I was also thinking about how my son has to say a pledge every morning at school.
It is a peace keepers pledge. It is basically to encourage the kids to play nice and avoid abusive behavior to one another. But that's just for the kids right?

Now, I know that we are never going to stop EVERYONE from being A-Holes.
I am not saying this from high upon my mountain of greatness either. I have been just as guilty as the worst of them.

But, what I would like to see is a pledge from those of us who are willing to put our digital egos on the line.
A pledge to avoid using abusive,rude,or offensive language to our fellow ATSrs.
A pledge to remain respectful of others points of view while maintaining our own.

Not in this thread mind you.
I want ATS to take this on.
I want a place for those of us who are willing, to sign up and recieve a badge on our avatars which indicates
our pledge to remain civil and respectful to one another.
This would allow and encourage us to hold eachother accountable when we stumble. Kind of like an AA meeting.

maybe an epic fail of a thread/idea.
Could be the first step in changing the way we interact with eachother.
edit on 19-5-2012 by Screwed because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Great idea .
I will wear my badge with pride

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

"Badges? Badges? We don't need no stinking badges!"

But seriously, have you designed the pledge and badge yet?

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by pthena

I was kind of counting on you.
I can't wait to see the first draft.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 01:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

It is my belief that I already agreeded to be civil when I joined this board.

I haven't changed my mind.

I will continue to honor what I agreed to August 14, 2007.

Don't need a badge or a special honor for doing what I am supposed to do.
edit on 19-5-2012 by dizziedame because: To correct date.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

I haven't set up my favorite drawing program yet since my last system install. But could be something like:
with the stereotypical red slash line.

I would just like included in the pledge, something like:

"I will assume that the posters I respond to are as human as myself, with a normal set of functioning feelings as do I."
Then assume some sort of Golden Rule, without specifically quoting one.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 01:39 AM
link   
No need, just report any post you see as an attack, off topic or some other violation of TOS..

Fair idea though!

*Edit to add* I have been around the net and ATS for a number of years in one form or another.. This is the only place my posts have EVER been moded.. Kinda odd huh? My only guess is there is a group of people just waiting to report posts that dont go along with some ideals they hold. Might as well fight moderation with moderation.
edit on 19-5-2012 by Resurected because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by dizziedame

Now you went and made me feel silly for coming up with something.

Every once in a while I feel like adding a link to T&C as signature, and writing "see my signature" to some posters.

I guess having something other than banned under my user name is badge enough.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

I always get.You are an experienced contributer to ATS. Please be an example for our newer members and make every post matter. Everytime i go to reply to any thread/post.

so just take note

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by dizziedame
reply to post by Screwed

It is my belief that I already agreeded to be civil when I joined this board.

I haven't changed my mind.

I will continue to honor what I agreed to August 14, 2007.

Don't need a badge or a special honor for doing what I am supposed to do.
edit on 19-5-2012 by dizziedame because: To correct date.

It isn't a "special honor" and the "badge" would simply be an indicator of said pledge.
It never ceases to amaze me that no matter WHAT the subject there will ALWAYS be someone who opposes it, EVERYTIME!

I could make a thread about how people who kick puppies should be punished, and????
In the first few posts there would be someone who would oppose any sort of punishment for puppy kickers.
It really is amazing.

Judging by your response you would necessarily be opposed to the oath keepers movement if you wanted to remain consistant. This also amazes me.

How could anyone oppose something so simple and pure?

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   
treat others the way you want to be treated.

...sometimes I deserve a good kick in the ass...

but I agree, I will try to remain civil until I see a deserving fellow who needs to hear what needs to be said.

yeah.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

Judging by your response you would necessarily be opposed to the oath keepers movement if you wanted to remain consistant. This also amazes me.

How could anyone oppose something so simple and pure?

I think you may be jumping to hasty conclusions here. You wrote in the OP:

Not in this thread mind you.
I want ATS to take this on.

It seems to me that dizziedame has voiced her opinion quite eloquently, enough to make me feel a little silly.

We have all agreed to certain standards of conduct, as she wrote. I have actually felt guilty after some things I've written. I attempt to make amends later. In the final analysis, it is up to each of us to remind ourselves how we want to behave. I like the reminder on avatar idea.

I'll think about it some more. Maybe I'll just add some text on my avatar like: "Remember" or "Careful Now" or some such.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

I do my best to help keep the peace here. I do. Until someone royaly pisses me off and then I become human and make mistakes. But I am trying. Promise.

Now that that's out of the way?

I want to know about this part of your OP!!!

I was also thinking about how my son has to say a pledge every morning at school.
It is a peace keepers pledge. It is basically to encourage the kids to play nice and avoid abusive behavior to one another. But that's just for the kids right?

Are you in the States? What IS this you're talking about?

Oh wait - that's for another thread! AGHH!!! I want to know what this is all about - it gave me the creeps big time!

So, I'm not ask you to answer here and toss this thread off its trial but when you start a thread about the above (and I hope you will) PLEASE U2U me so I don't miss it!

And between now and then?

peace

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I think many of us already do this out of pure human respect. I know I try to be civil, and respectful to all comers, but respect is a two way street. I don't believe in flaming, or derailing a thread I don't agree with, although some times I do go off on a tangent. I may be willing to sign up, if we get a special avatar or something.

top topics

join