It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Words Of Philosophy... What do they mean?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Text....
20th May 2012

When fire rages and gets destructive, you immediately try to put it out by throwing sand and water, is it not? In most buildings, people keep a stock of these in readiness. Are you aware that you have six flames burning inside you? They are lust, anger, greed, attachment, pride and hatred. They can emerge any time. What do you have in store to put them out? Always keep a ready stock of Truth, Right Conduct, Peace, Love and Non-Violence in plenty. These five will help you scotch the flames of your six enemies, whenever they are lit; these values are very effective extinguishers.

- BABA

www.radiosai.org...

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by arpgme

Originally posted by ottobot

See, this is where we differ in opinion. For me, caring and compassion come from seeing and knowing the evil, but using love and good to combat it. So, if I see people doing evil, I feel compassion (not hate) for them. I will do what I can to show love in their presence, but I will not allow them to do evil to me.

This is a suicide philosophy, can you imagine what would happen if your body learned to "love" the intruding viruses? You can not combat evil with love, someone punches you in the face and you turn the other cheek, they'll just punch you on the other.

Originally posted by ErroneousDylan
That is a contradiction. Hating and caring are two opposite things. They do not exist at the same time.

Wow. Are you serious?

If you know something is destructive, it is OK to HATE that thing to show your CARE for the others around you. What are you gonna do, love it and letting keep destroying people's lives?

edit on 19-5-2012 by arpgme because: (no reason given)

You are very silly.

Do not let your close-minded ways prevent you from believing everything and everyone is not subject to being loved. Tell me why it would be impossible for you to love something or someone and yet be unable to stop it? Why do you have to HATE something in order to prevent it from doing it? Hm?

Think.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by ErroneousDylan

You are very silly.

Do not let your close-minded ways prevent you from believing everything and everyone is not subject to being loved. Tell me why it would be impossible for you to love something or someone and yet be unable to stop it? Why do you have to HATE something in order to prevent it from doing it? Hm?

Think.

You are absolutely right, in some case you can use love to influence people to behave in a better way, but sometimes people are hellbent on causing destruction for others, and will ignore the love.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by arpgme

Originally posted by ottobot

See, this is where we differ in opinion. For me, caring and compassion come from seeing and knowing the evil, but using love and good to combat it. So, if I see people doing evil, I feel compassion (not hate) for them. I will do what I can to show love in their presence, but I will not allow them to do evil to me.

This is a suicide philosophy, can you imagine what would happen if your body learned to "love" the intruding viruses? You can not combat evil with love, someone punches you in the face and you turn the other cheek, they'll just punch you on the other.

This is why I said, "...but I will not allow them to do evil to me." I did not say I love the person, I said I show love while in the presence of the person.

I do feel compassion for people who exist in evil. I don't necessarily want to help them out, but I feel sorry for them and hope that they someday change their ways.

For example, I recently went on a trip to see my siblings. My "father", who abused me in various ways up until I moved out of the house, showed up and started in on me about how he holds no ill will toward me for cutting him out of my life like the cancer he is, how he forgives me, and starts heading down the path toward verbal abuse. I did not stand there and take it as I was taught to as a child. Initially, I asked him politely to leave because he was not invited to the gathering. When he refused, I told him I had nothing to say to him and that I wasn't going to stand around arguing in front of my children, and got up to leave. The whole time I was preparing to leave, he was going on and on with his tirade, and was still ranting when I left. Point being, I was still able to be civil when faced with someone I, quite honestly, have absolutely no positive feelings toward.

I will say that I lived the first 18-odd years of my life under that "suicide philosophy" due to being immersed in a religion and family who took those particular sets of beliefs to zealous extremes. Indeed, I wished to die because I ended up feeling like I was nothing, worthless, just a mat for all of the "worthwhile" people to walk on - because, all I ever did was "turn the other cheek" - and people took as much advantage of that as they could.

So, I will show caring and compassion, but only to an extent.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join