It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No jobs avalible anywhere!!!!!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by RSF77

The problem is the cost and how much cheaper it is to do it overseas!

These people work in sweatshop enviroment's while out people lose jobs and then charities make us feel for those that work in sweatshops... wtf!

The companies have no laws that stop them and the reason for that is because big companies pay millions of $$ to re-elction campaigns...

It's legalized bribery!!!

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnIntellectualRedneck
You people that are talking about how there are jobs everywhere really need to take into account where this person is talking about.

The OP is talking about Detroit, and if you think there are tons of jobs there, then you are nothing short of delusional and completely out of touch with reality.

True enough. So the question becomes, Why is he still in Detroit? It's like standing in the desert and complaining there is no water. Historically, people move to where the jobs are. The jobs don't move to them.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Skywatcher2011

Exactly!!

The issue in lack of opportunity is a lack of ambition!

Don't blame your problems on the rest of the world or country because they do not give a damn about you!!!

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   
The market has high points
and low points, talking to my parents
and older peopl they went through
some bad times too. I know it is hard
out there, but do not get discouraged.
IT WILL PICK BACK UP..

Grit your teeth, and pray you don't
go homeless between then and now,
it might look grim, but there WILL be
an uptick.. The factory and industrial jobs
are leveling out. Meaning the companies that
could move over seas HAVE. As things from China
get more expensive AND THEY WILL, you will
see a return of more local industrial jobs.

History repeats itself, ever hear of the ROARING 20's
my friend it is right on our door.
edit on 19-5-2012 by popsmayhem because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

i have nothing in the bank, wanna pay for the moving

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Havick007

Oh believe me, I blame my government 100%. This is nobody's fault but theirs, which is why I take offense when people blame the job seeker for their inaction and ridiculous economic failures. The problem is that they set a trap for people. Unless you have a stable job in which you can make a good amount of money, there is no way to leave the country. So instead, I'm going to stay and opt to change it.

Also, anyone who wants to make an argument on how you can survive on your own on a minimum wage job, feel free to do so. I'd like to hear the reasoning of this.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Thats not true!

People can bring jobs to the place or city if they want!

That's how business starts... creating jobs in an economy. Who would you rather be?

The person that complains about lack of jobs or the person that can help create the jobs!?

edit on 19-5-2012 by Havick007 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by gwydionblack

Yes!! Change it

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   
There is a "hidden" job market: Every day, people retire, quit, get promoted or demoted, are fired, or even pass away. These jobs are filled quietly, with little advertisement, by people that work for that employer already, or by outsiders that have someone on the inside of the organization.

You need to focus on identifying specialized job skills that an employer will pay you. Think technical skills at first. In Detroit, the local radio just announced a program through Focus Hope for entry-level workers that will go through a 12-18 week training program to become machinists. Starting pay is $50M per year. And this is in the City of Detroit. You may not have an interest in being a machinist your whole career, but you have to start somewhere and work your way up.

And, when you do get a job, you better work your hardest to impress your boss. That means you show up early, you work through lunch hours, you stay overtime, you work weekends. You bust your tail. That's how you get ahead. By being dependable, reliable, with a strong work ethic. And, if your employer fails to notice your hard work, you go work for his competition and run your old employer out of business.

Hire a professional resume writer to clean up your resume. Someone in this thread just made an offer on the first page to help you. Take them up on their offer to help. Print up a 100 copies, get dressed in your best suit and tie, and hit the road dropping off your resume in person at every place of business nearby. Get aggressive, go cold call in person with your resume in hand. Join LinkedIn. Hit up all your friends and acquaintances and tell them that you are looking for work, and give them a copy of your resume.

Lastly, don't give up hope. There are jobs out there, you just have to be persistent and aggressive. And you have to pray. Pray hard. Join a local church or synagogue, whatever your faith denomination, and get on your knees and pray to God Almighty and He will help you.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thunder heart woman

Originally posted by crimsongod21
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

I disagree i have been looking and applying for jobs that are well below my previous pay scale. And being turned away due to lack of exp.

I seriously do not understand this.

I took a part time job with Mc Donalds opening every morning for breakfast last winter. They trained me, they did not need previous experience.

Where I'm at Mc Donalds get's about 300 applications per job opening. They have one or two openings every 6 months, and almost no where else hires. In these cases even knowing everyone who works there doesn't give you a chance...

I'm not picky about a job, I was in the Army, and have endless patience to do whatever, for money..

places like wendeys havn't hired in over a year. I know Iv'e been checking with them the whole time.

Get over it guys.
Your happy little world doesn't exist.
Just because you have a job doesn't make you normal. It makes you lucky.

Quit believing lies. I will work any job for $8.00. Anything.

I used to hang out with mexicans at gas stations and wait till pick up trucks pulled in asking for hard labor. Don't give me any bull crap about hard work.

Some spots are MUCH worse than others. If I survive till I can move to raleigh, then I can probably find a job in a day, but then again I am highly skilled, and have about 8 years experience retail. I know how to talk to people.

The ratio here seems to be about 300 people applying for every one job. I'm not making that number up. When a 5 guys opened up they had over 1,000 applications. I think they hired like 15 people.

Oh and I am not on nor have I ever had government help. When you quit a job to go to school on money you saved from the Army that you have to pay cause you were screwed out of the GI bill, you don't get unemployment.

There's no work here. The system is being propped up, so you guys can't see it yet from your towers...
Everyone I know is in my boat. I WANT to work BAD. All I have found to do is put my lawn mower to good use in others yards, but even they don't really have much to pay me, can only charge $10 for a yard... So before paying for gas I make like 20 a week there....

It's sucky guys. Believe it.

And do you guys not know where Detroit is?
lol

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
There are some decent jobs available in the Denver area if you were in a position to relocate. I read in the newspaper just this week that there are a lot of construction jobs going unfilled. I work downtown and have noticed that a few tower cranes have appeared so there is building going on there. They are still building new homes all around the area as well.

I was talking with the bus driver on my way home last night and he said they were always understaffed with drivers and were hiring all the time. The public transportation system here is quite extensive and they are currently building three more light rail lines.

Our economy here is not great and I do know people who are unemployed but there are opportunities available.

Good Luck with your job search.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Don't want to sound like an "ageist" or anything, but you must simply do the jobs old people can't. Think about it - there's a VAST amount of money to be made on the internet (which you can do from a public library or wi-fi hotspot, you don't need to be at home). Its not that older people can't do these jobs, its just that [on average] they aren't as efficient as us who've been on screaming fast computers since high school.

If you understand structural unemployment, there's a mismatch between workers' skills and jobs available, the rapid growth of the internet in business has left tons of jobs open that require minimal experience and no certification, while the traditional service/manufacturing jobs that have been available for 50 years are getting filled by people with 20 years experience, not 2. There's also a lot of people more highly qualified workers filling positions that used to be underneath their pay grade simply because technology made their old job obsolete. So avoid "tangible" jobs that require a commute altogether, in my opinion.

Best of all, these jobs have no excuses:
"I have no transportation" [work from home, or nearby internet connection]
"I have no access to capital" [I've gotten 25k facebook impressions off a new campaign in 48 hrs for about $8]
"I don't understand that stuff" -EVERYTHING you need to know now days that you could learn in a university you can learn from google searches if you're determined enough

So go do what we 20-something year olds are doing in 2012 - go where the old people can't go [easily]. Start an internet company and become a millionaire...seems to be beating manual labor for the people I know who are doing it.

Its all about education and leveraging opportunities. Good luck!
edit on 19-5-2012 by hungry4truth because: typo

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by gwydionblack
reply to post by Havick007

Also, anyone who wants to make an argument on how you can survive on your own on a minimum wage job, feel free to do so. I'd like to hear the reasoning of this.

Iv'e always been able to survive on minimum wage man. or Sometimes $8.00 an hour, but that's basically the same.

It's not fun.

First step, find a really crappy apartment.
Second step, don't eat out, ever.
third step, give up drinking beer (or doing anything fun)
fourth step, you don't need cable.

Then at the end of the month every month you should have like $75 or so to have fun with.

Well, that's if you live with no insurance like me...

edit on 5/19/2012 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

edit on 5/19/2012 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Jordan River

Come down to Texas plenty of entry level jobs in the petroleum industry....
Directional Drillers makes some nice checks.

Just can't be a-scared to get your hands dirty.
edit on 19-5-2012 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
That problem that people who are not yet effected don't see is that the papers and internet seem to have plenty of jobs so they think you must be lazy if you can't find a job however there are not enough jobs to go around. Ask any employer and they will tell you anytime they advertise a job they get hundreds of applicants sometimes thousands.

My problem is 25 years experience and they think they can hire some young kid fresh out of tech school for a fraction of the cost even when you tell them look I'll work for what the market is paying now. I could be a burger flipper but I make more doing handyman work hit and miss then working there full time. Plus it is all under the table. All be damned if I am going to pay the government a cut if I don't have to when they are the ones who destroyed the economy by protecting their bankster benefactors.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by nahahh

Right on! I wish I could start a computer repair business here in Ohio, but right now the only constant income we have is Social Security. The town I live in wants almost $1100 for licenses, services, and permits to start a business here! Way out of line. No one here wishes to fund this, so I am on my own. It is pretty depressed here, no jobs, most on Welfare. We are thinking of moving to a State where the per capita income is higher, and people are spending more on services. The Obama Administration seems to have almost killed off small business.
Back during the 80s, I was in the service garage business with my son in Northern Indiana. We were making over $500 a week easy, then GWB was elected, and it all dried up. I am not sure what happened exactly, but one day the cars were lined up when we came to work, the next day there were none. I took to driving semi, and five year later rolled it over and broke my back.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jordan River

i have nothing in the bank, wanna pay for the moving

I find it fascinating how people who dont work say " you can't get a job because your not looking hard enough"

lets take California for instance. Jerry Brown, (now smoking Crack) thinks he can remove $8 Billion from the California state budget. WHERE? Every Government Agency....Austerity

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by autowrench
reply to post by nahahh

Right on! I wish I could start a computer repair business here in Ohio, but right now the only constant income we have is Social Security. The town I live in wants almost $1100 for licenses, services, and permits to start a business here! Way out of line. No one here wishes to fund this, so I am on my own. It is pretty depressed here, no jobs, most on Welfare. We are thinking of moving to a State where the per capita income is higher, and people are spending more on services. The Obama Administration seems to have almost killed off small business.
Back during the 80s, I was in the service garage business with my son in Northern Indiana. We were making over $500 a week easy, then GWB was elected, and it all dried up. I am not sure what happened exactly, but one day the cars were lined up when we came to work, the next day there were none. I took to driving semi, and five year later rolled it over and broke my back.

Just do it under the table. Put an ad on Craig's list or the local throw away papers. You don't need permission to make a living. Screw the government with their taxing and licensing schemes!

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I'm an employer and have been for years. I can tell you how to get a job quickly.

Literally, take a blank application, complete it (or better yet, type it up) along with a 1 page resume. On the resume, indicate "achievements of each job". Don't just list the dates of employment, job title and duties. What did you do that you are proud of while at the highlights of your career (maybe not all the jobs, only the ones you made a difference at). Photocopy the application and resume 100 times and literally go door to door finding work.

Most employers hate to advertise. When I do, I am instantly bombarded with hundreds of resumes. The task of looking through each is daunting. Add to that, that you have dozens if not hundreds you are competing with for that one job. If you go door to door, you have no competition.

I guarantee if you hit the pavement and do that for 3 solid days from 8 am to 5 pm, you will find a job and one that might surprise you! When you start early, it says something about you to employers. If I have a young man enter my office at 4 pm looking for work, I wonder if he will be on time if I offer him a job that starts at 7 am. If you can't work for yourself by looking for work early, then why should an employer hire you as you would not stand out among hundreds of others. This is how employers think.

Have a firm handshake and don't go into personal details if a prospective employer interviews you. Talk about past achievements and what your skill set can do for that employer. I can't tell you how many times I've interviewed someone and wanted to hire them, and then they dump their personal BS on me like I'm their counselor or something. I don't want to hear it and when someone shares with me, then I am not hiring them. Plain and simple.

Be happy and ready to sell yourself. If you can't sell yourself, who can? This includes any interaction you have with receptionists or people you might not think are the decision makers. Believe me, these gatekeepers always tell me what they think of the applicant. Impress the gatekeeper too!

Also, ask if you can follow up with an employer. They might not be hiring today, but if you email them weekly, this shows you are organized, serious and your name instantly comes up in their head for the next opening. Very few, if any people do this. I've had 3 people do this and I hired all 3 within a few weeks of them walking into my office unannounced asking for work. When they politely asked if they can follow up with me weekly, I said sure and then hired them soon thereafter.

Good luck!

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Jordan River

Welcome to the NWO: Positions available as the Slave scum you have:
Fast food scrub (a welfare slave creator)
field picking for .50a barrel
packaging (Min wage and get treated like pond scum)
Wal Mart (industrial slave welfare cases producer)
and Prostitute/stripper/etc or drug dealer, the most financially stable jobs in America...thanks johns and addicts for keeping demand up...

edit on 19-5-2012 by ldyserenity because: used wrong word

edit on 19-5-2012 by ldyserenity because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join