It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No jobs avalible anywhere!!!!!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 06:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Jordan River

Welcome to reality friend! 25 years In IT support and no one will hire me now. After searching for over 2 years one of my old companies finally hired me in hanuary at half my previous pay and then laid me off again a month and a half later. Been doing handyman work to get by but it is hit and miss,

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 06:31 AM
link   
If you can relocate, come to Lafayette, IN. My company is hiring. There is a new Aluminum plant opening up as well. Wabash National trailer company is hiring.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 06:52 AM
link   
here's something to put into one's pipe & smoke it

The unemployment crisis in America is much worse than you are being told.
Did you know that there are 100 million working age Americans that do not get up in the morning and go to work?
No wonder why it seems like there are so many people that do not have jobs!
According to the federal government, there are 12.6 million working age Americans that are considered to be "officially" unemployed, but there are another 87.8 million working age Americans that are not working either. The federal government considers those Americans to be "not in the labor force" so they are not included in the unemployment rate.
In fact, this is one of the key ways that the government manipulates the unemployment numbers.
The Obama administration would have us believe that the unemployment rate is going down and that that since the start of the last recession about as many Americans have left the labor force as we saw during the entire decades of the 1980s and 1990s combined.

Of course that is a bunch of nonsense, but that is what the Obama administration would have us believe. The truth is that the percentage of working age Americans that are employed is just about the same right now as it was two years ago.
It was incredibly difficult to get a job back then and it is incredibly difficult to get a job right now. So don't believe the hype that things are getting much better. If you still do have a good job, you might want to hold on to it tightly, because there is not much hope that things are going to improve significantly any time soon.

source: www.theinternationalforecaster.com...

i put the bold in the last sentence, thanks

edit on 19-5-2012 by St Udio because: strike bold

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   
I sympathize with your situation, I have been there myself. Almost 3 years ago I found myself divorced, jobless, homeless, totaled my vehicle, depressed and searching for answers. The key for me was to never give up and keep fighting no matter how hopeless things may appear.

I can give advice only on what I know ...

When I was your age, maybe younger I was in an Apprenticeship for the Millwrights. At that time, 20 years ago things where booming and work was everywhere. My training was free, I was always working and life was good.Here in Louisville we have a huge international UPS hub, 2 Ford plants and General Electrical Appliance Park. Was always contract work somewhere.

My downfall years later was me having it to good years before and not having to travel. So years later when factories started cutting back on contract work, I stayed local. until the bitter end which damn near doomed me.

After watching all the trades for years my recommendation is to look into getting into the electrician apprenticeship. They work industrial, commercial and residential. Get a license and you can moonlight in between jobs not having to wait on a contractor to call for a job. Plus, you can apply practically anywhere for maintenance. If I could do it all over again that's exactly what I would do.

Any trade with an apprenticeship where you earn a journeymans card is good tho. But to be realistic you moat likely will have to travel the US. I went through the millwrights, it was difficult and hard but it finally paid off after I got on out at Appliance Park as maintenance.

Here in Louisville, as I previously stated are some big companies who lately have been hiring like crazy. UPS is always hiring, the package shipping business has always been booming. Ford just took in about a thousand applications for production some time at the beginning of the year. GE this year alone took in 16000 apps for production and every few months hire more maintenance men. Even word of more businesses moving to Louisville to hire. I know you said you live in Detroit but my point is maybe looking in other areas could help.

Anyways, I wish you good luck and hope things get better for you. Just don't give up and no matter how bad things look never give up hope.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Hello, friend, sorry to hear of your troubles. Things are tough all over it seems, where I live the only available jobs are in Fast Food restaurants.
It really pays to educate one's self in a Service Trade. I was an automobile mechanic for many years until I was in a wreck, and could no longer bend over a fender all day. So I retrained myself as a computer repairman, and now work from my home. I set my price for a full erase and reinstall at one flat rate, and in this way I undercut the other computer repair shops in the area, all of whom over charge and do now know a lot about computers! There is the hassle of calling M$ and paying each time for a code to install Windows, but hey, I am providing a service, and am able to tell people about Free Operating Systems such as Linux.

Help yourself friend, if you can. The computer is a wonderful thing, you can learn most anything on it.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 07:35 AM
link   

I don't understand where people say there are no jobs. There are jobs, it just depends if the person wants to work. I was talking to my sister in law the other day who cries to us that she hasn't found a job in a year, yet up and down her street every fast food place and grocery store outlet is hiring. She just does not want to take that work, so she will go on unemployed, on welfare, and crying. It never ends.

My husband lost a high paying job last year when his company shut down. He has six years in college for his job, and cannot find another position similar to his. So what does he do? Does he sit around and cry about this, go on welfare, and refuse to take jobs that pay less? Nope.

He went right out and took two part time jobs at a grocer and a gas station, and has been working these jobs for months now as he continues seeking out something better.

Does he really want to do these jobs? No but he does it because he doesn't feel good about sitting at home crying about how there are no jobs.

There are jobs..... they are at gas stations, grocers, fast food, bus tables, lawn work, etc. Yes it is menial labor, and yeah it's hard.... but there are jobs.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Would it make any sense, if I said:

There are too many people in the world, and TPTB think it is cheaper to have you out of a job, than have to pay you salaries for doing nothing. Most of the jobs, they can do with robots, and "outsource" it to China.

TPTB want their "green pastures" back, they want thier "forrest" back ... they want to be able to live like kings, and to be able to walk free, without so many peasants around. All you do, is eat, sleep and breed children.

So, it's going to get better, for a while, and then it's gonna get worse.

The choices you have are simple, take it and die of hunger. Get on the government program, and take some mescala so you'll feel better ... go rob a store, a person, or someone's home ... that way they can release their dogs on you and put a mark on your head. There will be more surveillance to protect those, who still have a job ... and don't give a damn about you. There will be more pepper spraying, and fat pigs beating up your wife when she tries to demonstrate how badly it's come for you.

WELCOME to the future.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes
There are loads of jobs around.

I fear that many of the people complaining about lack of jobs are those who are too picky or stuck-up to apply for jobs which they think are ''demeaning''.

That's the problem. A lot of people think hard work is beneath them, or anything that pays minimum is not worth the time. My brother gets up every morning and goes to the day work place to take work just to put some cash in his pocket, pay bills and feed the family. He stands in line at 5 am every morning taking whatever he can get. So yeah, these types of threads do not sit well with me. I have seen illegal immigrants work harder than some born and bred Americans and that is the truth.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jordan River

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes
There are loads of jobs around.

I fear that many of the people complaining about lack of jobs are those who are too picky or stuck-up to apply for jobs which they think are ''demeaning''.

I've clean # out of handicap peoples ass, I've clean # out of toilets. Demeaning?

Maybe you shouldn't be taking care of handicapped people since you think that's a demeaning job?

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by crimsongod21
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

I disagree i have been looking and applying for jobs that are well below my previous pay scale. And being turned away due to lack of exp.

I seriously do not understand this.

I took a part time job with Mc Donalds opening every morning for breakfast last winter. They trained me, they did not need previous experience.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Boy, could you imagine our ancestors with a mentality like this? They wouldn't have migrated, and would've gone extinct in a very small geographical area on the map.

Neanderthal Ted: Hey Jim, there's no jobs, and we are out of food!
Neanderthal Jim: I know.. what are we going to do?!

Neanderthal Ted: Starve, obviously.
Neanderthal Jim: I guess you're right.

Neanderthal Albert Einstein: Well.. you guys can stay here and starve. I'm leaving.

Jobs are called jobs for a reason. They require exertion.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   
hi mate i can understand your #ed off with the situation, but last week i got a job with wal mart on £6 38 per hour rubbish money i know but hopefully working tax credit will make it worth while for us, i got 2 kids aswell an im the only one working! dont give up looking things will change for you mate.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Only thing I find hilarious about this thread is how people are screaming "There are Jobs!", then proceed to name that one person out of a thousand who fell into fortune and happened to get hired.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   
I know it don't help now but my work in Rochester brings in temps during fall and winter months, if you still looking then I'm sure I could get you in. Seriously. Save me to your friends list and hit me up. I will also keep my eyes and ears open. I will find info for the temp service we use maybe they could find you something! Here a site I found that has a list of temp agency in Michigan, Temp agencies

I know it not a glorious start but will atleast help you get a foot in the door somewhere! I started as a temp and I worked my ass off and they hired me full time, and I got off the production line! Keep you head up,

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Here's my rant in response to the OP rant.

There don't seem to be any qualified US based candidates willing to work.

We've been trying to hire remote (work from home) tier 3 support techs for a hosting company for months now. So far, we've been completely unable to hire anyone.

1. They all want much, much more than the position pays and we pay almost double the industry standard.

2. We have to sort through tons of applications from India even though we've made clear we only want US, Canada or EU native English speakers. We've tried hiring Indian support techs, what we found are these groups who go out and get all the tech support jobs they can for low wages. Then, they get unskilled people to handle the support tickets so though we hire a tier 3 tech we suddenly find the tasks they are able to perform change from day to day even though we're supposedly dealing with one person. It's a complete scam and not worth any amount of savings in wages.

3. 99% of the US candidates we get are lying about their skills and education. We have two tests we give all candidates, the first is a simple Wordpress migration and so far only 1 person has been able to complete it. Most applicants just vanish without event trying to take the test, a few try to do it and fail horribly. The second test requires compiling and installing software on Linux servers from source (standard tier 3 level work), so if someone can't even move a blog from one server to another there's no way they will pass test 2.

4. The few qualified candidates we have gotten are all working full time somewhere and want to moonlight with us at night. We're a rapidly growing company with multiple lines of business - we're not looking for temp / moonlighting workers.

It's just ridiculous and hiring software developers has been an even worse experience. I keep hearing about how impossible it is to find work in the US right now but yet we can't even get basic Linux techs to work from home for 40k per year plus health benefits???

I really think there are jobs out there but people are going to have to learn to adapt, train for new roles and stop trying to take shortcuts to jobs they aren't qualified for. Even we aren't desperate enough to hire people without verifying them, I highly doubt the major companies out there are doing any less.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnIntellectualRedneck
You people that are talking about how there are jobs everywhere really need to take into account where this person is talking about.

The OP is talking about Detroit, and if you think there are tons of jobs there, then you are nothing short of delusional and completely out of touch with reality.

22,426 jobs in Detroit says other wise, give or take a few:
www.indeed.com...

So my question is do I need to point out of stupid your statement is?

Most of the people who complain about jobs are the ones who are lazy and self-centered. They don't know it and cant see it because that's how their family.

Jobs are not plentiful now a days. So if you were a manager, would you hire the person who comes in with an attitude? Just about everyone in my family is out going and like to laugh but at the same time know how to be serious. Thats what gets us hired and all the others who have jobs. Stores and jobs are going to hire a "people's person." Not the op who thinks wiping peoples butts should guarantee him any job.

Think about it...look at the majority of the homeless peeps. They are fat and on top of that look at what they owned before they became homeless. IPHONES and #. Not in my house. I make 20 grand a year and not in debt, not hurting for money, paying all my bills, no credit cards...all because I BUDGET and DO NOT have to have the latest and greatest electronic.

Anybody who disagrees with me, needs to check themselves

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Its simple, MOVE OUT OF DETROIT!

I had some problems finding work for awhile but the jobs are out there but employers are looking for decent people to fill them. I work now for a window installation company and a group that specializes in tree care(planting included) and im responsible for hiring new people. Let me tell you i have heard every sob story thats out there and its hard to believe some of these people that want to say they really need to work for this or that but when hired all they want to do is hang out on the phone, take constant cigarette breaks or rush thru their work half-assed to get that cigarette break.

Just last month i needed 3 people, just 3 to do some regular labor, no degrees or exp. needed and out of the 30 or so people i interviewed only about 5 actually seemed like they had the competance to perform the job. Only one is still with us now after the others flaked out. Complained about the hours after they knew what they were, one had a real bad arrogance and thought he knew more than the boss and he liked to run his mouth, and one actually quit because he couldn`t talk on his phone!

My best advice for unskilled ppl looking for work is to get a tool belt(less than $30 at a hardware store) a regular claw hammer, tape measure(learn fractions) a square, a level, some pliers, and a lever bar and go to the nearest construction site and talk to the foreman. Start with a firm handshake as you introduce yourself and be honest, tell him you have these tools and know how to use them and ask if hes got something he needs done or if hes got some professionals that need some help. 8 times out of 10 they do and if you can show up with a good work attitude you`ll get your fot in the door and the guys are more than willing to teach you on the site.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by ecoparity
Here's my rant in response to the OP rant.

There don't seem to be any qualified US based candidates willing to work.

We've been trying to hire remote (work from home) tier 3 support techs for a hosting company for months now. So far, we've been completely unable to hire anyone.

1. They all want much, much more than the position pays and we pay almost double the industry standard.

2. We have to sort through tons of applications from India even though we've made clear we only want US, Canada or EU native English speakers. We've tried hiring Indian support techs, what we found are these groups who go out and get all the tech support jobs they can for low wages. Then, they get unskilled people to handle the support tickets so though we hire a tier 3 tech we suddenly find the tasks they are able to perform change from day to day even though we're supposedly dealing with one person. It's a complete scam and not worth any amount of savings in wages.

3. 99% of the US candidates we get are lying about their skills and education. We have two tests we give all candidates, the first is a simple Wordpress migration and so far only 1 person has been able to complete it. Most applicants just vanish without event trying to take the test, a few try to do it and fail horribly. The second test requires compiling and installing software on Linux servers from source (standard tier 3 level work), so if someone can't even move a blog from one server to another there's no way they will pass test 2.

4. The few qualified candidates we have gotten are all working full time somewhere and want to moonlight with us at night. We're a rapidly growing company with multiple lines of business - we're not looking for temp / moonlighting workers.

It's just ridiculous and hiring software developers has been an even worse experience. I keep hearing about how impossible it is to find work in the US right now but yet we can't even get basic Linux techs to work from home for 40k per year plus health benefits???

I really think there are jobs out there but people are going to have to learn to adapt, train for new roles and stop trying to take shortcuts to jobs they aren't qualified for. Even we aren't desperate enough to hire people without verifying them, I highly doubt the major companies out there are doing any less.

Man I would take that job any day of the week. Freakin double what I make now and Im still going strong

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   

You cannot start a family getting paid 7.50 a hour. You need at least 10$.

You just answered your own problem right here with this. They do not want poor people having families, and the ones who can make it to $10 an hour will be the slaves, anyone less gets to die.

We may be more technologically advanced but we are still living in a feudal system dressed up under a modern society. The Dark Ages never left, it just got a facelift. The ruling families of those days are still in power ruling today.

Birth rates dropping, and an increase in people on fertility drugs just proves that theyre softkilling humanity to fit the Georgia Guidestones world wide population of 500 million quota. We're being chemically castrated

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   
OP, since you dont like working towards somebody else's dream I suggest you create your own. Start with something small, like wood. You'd be amazed.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join