It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If we lived forever there would be no need for religion.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   
I've come to my personal conclusion that religion is the ultimate band aid for humankind. In a nutshell here is why:

Our time on this planet is limited, and rather mundane. If you look at nature you will notice that it is "survival of the fittest". Basically, the big fish eat the smaller fish. You live for a couple of decades and then you turn to worm food. End of story.

For a sentient being to come to terms with this rather bleak outlook, we have created an alternative reality in which there is a just, benevolent Creator. That entity holds the key to our "hidden meaning" of life and sets the moral standards that are otherwise lacking in nature. In Christianity there is the promise of being raised from the dead. I think that core belief (resurrection) is actually very telling.

If we lived forever would there be a need for a God? I doubt it.

Just my 2 cents. What are your thoughts on this?

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Couldn't disagree more. Not so much about the religion part, but spirituality, yes.

Here's why. I often feel like giving up. I get depressed and overwhelmed and the weight of responsibility sometimes feels so heavy, I just want to take a flying leap into the arms of eternity.

I believe in reincarnation and sometimes I just want to reboot. I hold a hope that maybe this will be my last incarnation in this gravity well, we call earth, and I can assume my eternal spiritual perfect form.

Then it hits me. I still cling to rest, sleep and dreams. There's no death, suicide or escape in eternity. If I can't bear the mundane realities of this world, how would I maintain the intense burden of forever? No forgetting mistakes, no amnesia of unfair or evil deeds, just pure and constant confrontation of reality.

I would definitely need a mentor to help me through eternity, seeing how I sometimes have a hard time getting through the week!

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by AllIsOne

If we lived forever, then we'd pray the God to kill us, and relieve us from this hell.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

Thank you for your answer. I would like to understand why people put so much faith in one belief system. What made you a believer in an "eternal spiritual, perfect form"?

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   

If we lived forever there would be no need for religion

Since we live forever... there is no need for religion...

What we need is unity...

And religion doesn't promote that

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Survival of the fittest is right. So, if we all lived forever on this physical plane, soon, a small minority of the "fit" would rule the rest as slaves for all eternity. That would be a hell on earth, and one I wouldn't wish to participate in.
And since I'm immortal, I could theoretically fight forever, just as others would. So if all were immortal, then the world would be a constant struggle of conflict and sufferance that had no end. That, too, would be hell. Nothing but conflict, sufferance, and yet no death.
You could argue a compromise would be met, but this would only be an illusion which would shatter (since eventually, we'd all see though it. After all, we have all the time in the world, literally), and the process of conflict would arise, and thus: A cycle of continued disagreement that resulted in fates worse than death itself until subjugation took hold by those the best at subjugation.

Would I like to live forever? Yep. Good thing I will, just not in such a mundane existence as this. Because that, would be hell.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon

If we lived forever there would be no need for religion

Since we live forever... there is no need for religion...

What we need is unity...

And religion doesn't promote that

Since I've never talked to the dead I don't believe we live forever. Have you?

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Lasr1oftheJedi

What evidence do you have that you live forever? I'm assuming your statement was serious.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Not i... but many have...

Why do you need to talk to the dead, when the living are all around you?

The truth of life is within you... not within dead men...

They are the past... dust even...

let them be

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

I was just wondering why you state that we live forever? Is that an assumption of yours, or do you have pics ... lol.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   

en.wikipedia.org...

Energy can not be created or destroyed... And all of existance is a vibration, which is energy...

No need for pics... i know what i know

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Are you assuming energy means spirit/soul/being?How does e=mc2 relate to being a living, conscious entity? I think it is our brain functions that makes us conscious, and not some kind of magical energy or spirits/soul. At the time of death our brain and other organs stop functioning and the body will decay, making delicious worm food

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   

And of course you are welcome to your opinion

As i am to mine...

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   

It's a faith thing.
If you ask me for evidence, we'll just get in a religious debate where I state I've seen some things and been through some things that tell me I'm in Christ.

Just let me believe what I believe and you believe what you believe, my man.

But, if you really want to know, I shall link you to an awesome convo I had with Zeer0 that explains why I believe what I believe:

www.abovetopsecret.com... - is my opening.
www.abovetopsecret.com... - is my second and third.
www.abovetopsecret.com... - is my forth and fifth.

Other than that, just read my posts, and it comes into clarity.

So, yeah, I believe in Christ. I believe he's pulled my poor soul outta the fire more than once, and when all SHTF, he'll be there with me, just as he's always been.

I don't state this kinda stuff to to force you to believe what I believe. Like I told Zeer0, it's a personal experience (or several) and I believe God has people like you, and several others (alot which made my friends list to be honest.) in question of such beliefs to weed out those full of hypocritical crap. But that's just an opinion.

I wouldn't claim to understand God, because if He is God, I'm hardly a soul that has the comprehension it all and lay it all out for such brilliant mind. This isn't a blow smoke statement, this is honest revelation.

I honestly believe I shall see an eternal paradise. I think I'm so blessed, I get to live a physical one. If you call me liar (and I am in no way suggesting you are, just a general statement), then I dare you to look in my wife's eyes when she sees me, my son's eyes when he sees me, and then...just say it...because that isn't possible. Not to any real soul with free thought. I'm blessed. I've been blessed a long time, and I firmly believe it is because Christ died on a cross for me.

I can't imagine who I would be if I had never accepted him....I really can't...but it wouldn't be much. I know who I was before and after the experience of death...It's a personal experience that's impossible to explain, so I don't expect you to just accept it. What I do ask is that you don't judge me, just because I have. After all, I don't judge you because you haven't.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

The thing is that I had this conversation many times with "spiritual folk" who quote laws of thermodynamics. But they don't realize that the molecular breakdown of a i.e. chair follows the same principle. Therefore it says nothing about retaining our "self" after death.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Thanks for your reply. I will read your threads :-)

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by AllIsOne
reply to post by Akragon

The thing is that I had this conversation many times with "spiritual folk" who quote laws of thermodynamics. But they don't realize that the molecular breakdown of a i.e. chair follows the same principle. Therefore it says nothing about retaining our "self" after death.

Alright let me try a different approach... Yes its true, the body breaks down, eventually turning to nothing but dust...

but...

YOU are more then just meat.... IF you are your body... why do you have little to no control over it?

The body needs fuel... to maintain itself... so you feed it... the body needs warmth... shelter... Water... so you provide it with said materials...

But what can you actually control within your body?

Can you stop your own heart without phyiscal damage?

Control hair growth?

Can you stop your bowels? Give it a try...

Can you control the eventual breakdown and death of it?

The body is mearly a vehical for the spirit... once the body breaks down, the spirit is released... and we return to where we all came from...

Ask yourself... Who am I

Perhaps you might take a look over my thread above as well...

It might help

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by AllIsOne
reply to post by windword

Thank you for your answer. I would like to understand why people put so much faith in one belief system. What made you a believer in an "eternal spiritual, perfect form"?

What faith? What belief system? I didn't say that I would rely on a god, I said I would need a mentor, to help me through eternity.

I believe in reincarnation because I have memories of past lives. Very clear memories. It's wishful thinking, to think that I could duck into a pure and perfect form, when I still have so much of myself to master, but at least I have a goal.

If I'm wrong, I'll cease to exist, or be sent to hell.
But I don't believe in a god created hell. So, it's probably going to be back to drawing board, or nothing.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 12:23 AM
link   

There is nothing I want to add or take away from your story. We all create our own reality. I'm glad you survived, married, and gave life to your son.

My outlook is different. I grew up Roman-Catholic, then abandoned that cult to study Buddhism. I appreciate the clear and analytical side of that belief system. It led to some good books and insights. But I'm not made for "organized belief systems". I started to question some established structures, and realized that I gave up one cult for another ... lol.

At this part of my journey I have become a realist. Meaning that I'm a firm believer in science and I'm also an Agnostic. I'm very reserved about any "spiritual" claims. I think that many of these claims are based on old Pagan belief systems, wishful thinking, and pure speculation. Not my cup of tea. I think that we don't need a god to explain, or make sense, of this reality. I live a moral life without a "big brother" watching constantly.

I find it fascinating and really beautiful that atoms were able to self-organize into this cosmos - and ultimately into consciousness. I'm in awe, because this "creation" that took billions of years is very special. It gave me my life and family. Those are the things that I hold dear, as you do. But I don't need a god to explain it. I find science is a very elegant option, because I don't have to deal with all the ambiguous, man-made-god-stuff. I hope I don't offend your views, but this is my honest feeling at this point.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter what you believe in. It's the life you live and the legacy that you leave behind. I know the Bible says differently, but so be it ...

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Thanks for being patient with me
I will read your thread.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join