It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

video of a big solar flare using SOHO

page: 1
3

log in

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Sorry Mods, wasn't sure on where to put this.

Took a peek at SOHO last night with my boyfriend and was watching a real time GIF Movies using the LASCO C2 lens. If you wait for the video to get to March 17th and watch at about 2:00am a huge solar flare ejects from the sun & the wave looks like it comes right at the camera.
It looks pretty cool. With big flares like that it's no wonder we are having all this crazy weather & things happening. Earth goes through cycles when the sun goes through cycles.
Sun Flare




posted on May, 18 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   
The March 17th CME will arrive tomorrow (the 19th) but it looks like, at the most, only the fringe of it will hit our magnetosphere. Not much is expected to happen.

BTW, there's a difference between a Solar flare and a CME (coronal mass ejection). We can't see flares in the C2 images from SOHO but we can see CMEs.
edit on 5/18/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)



posted on May, 18 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by knoledgeispower
 



INCOMING CME? A coronal mass ejection (CME) that flew off the sun's western limb on May 17th might hit Earth after all. NOAA forecasters say a shock wave from the blast could deliver a glancing blow to Earth's magnetic field on May 18th or 19th. The CME, pictured below, was propelled by an M5-class solar flare from departing sunspot AR1476.



According to NOAA, there is a 40% chance of minor geomagnetic storms and a 15% chance of strong storms when the shock arrives. High-latitude sky watchers should be alert for auroras.
www.spaceweather.com...


Doesn't seem to be anything major at all. Like Phage said.
edit on 5/18/2012 by this_is_who_we_are because: photo



posted on May, 18 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by knoledgeispower
Sorry Mods, wasn't sure on where to put this.

Took a peek at SOHO last night with my boyfriend and was watching a real time GIF Movies using the LASCO C2 lens. If you wait for the video to get to March 17th and watch at about 2:00am a huge solar flare ejects from the sun & the wave looks like it comes right at the camera.
It looks pretty cool. With big flares like that it's no wonder we are having all this crazy weather & things happening. Earth goes through cycles when the sun goes through cycles.
Sun Flare


Is that a star in the right corner leaving the picture??



posted on May, 18 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
The March 17th CME will arrive tomorrow (the 19th) but it looks like, at the most, only the fringe of it will hit our magnetosphere. Not much is expected to happen.

BTW, there's a difference between a Solar flare and a CME (coronal mass ejection). We can't see flares in the C2 images from SOHO but we can see CMEs.
edit on 5/18/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

Thank you for the clarification. I used to be a huge space nerd when I was a kid but lost touch over the years.
Well I'm glad not much is expected to happen as a result. It just looked really amazing as it happened & then how everything looked for a bit after.

Also would you happen to know what is traveling across the bottom slowly & brightly?



posted on May, 18 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by knoledgeispower
 

That's Jupiter.



posted on May, 18 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by OurSecretHouseCLUB33
 


Just found out its Jupiter

edit on 18-5-2012 by knoledgeispower because: found out answer



posted on May, 18 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Woo that was a big sucker!

Sure hope Phage is right and it stays away from us.

Thanks for the link.



posted on May, 18 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   
I think this is just a preview of what's to come as the year continues. The sun is going through a faze and we are going to be affected by it. So far our polarity is changing just like the Suns polarity.
Buckle your seat belts Dorthy, we're in for a bumpy ride.



posted on May, 19 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
The March 17th CME will arrive tomorrow (the 19th) but it looks like, at the most, only the fringe of it will hit our magnetosphere. Not much is expected to happen.

BTW, there's a difference between a Solar flare and a CME (coronal mass ejection). We can't see flares in the C2 images from SOHO but we can see CMEs.
edit on 5/18/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)


and its not march either



posted on May, 19 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by rebellender
 

heh.
Time flies, don't it?



posted on May, 19 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by rebellender
 

heh.
Time flies, don't it?


from time to time it does



posted on May, 19 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by rebellender
 


here
www.youtube.com...

Funny How Time Slips Away.
Me.



new topics

top topics



 
3

log in

join