It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Government worker fired after turning in gun he found

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
A Detroit Groundskeeper finds a loaded handgun while mowing lawns. He calls the police
but the police don't show so he takes the gun to the police station. And is promptly fired
for possessing a firearm while on work property.

Detroit police told groundskeeper John Chevilott that he did the right thing by turning in a loaded handgun he found while mowing lawns earlier this month. But his employers at the Wayne County Department of Public Services felt differently and fired him for violating department policies, myFOX Detriot reports.

If you have trouble seeing the logic behind this that's because there isn't any. Except for
the fact the guy held his job for 23 years and was 2 years shy of being eligible for retirement.
I guess if you look at it that way, it all makes sense.

Officers discovered that the weapon had been stolen in 2005 from a town about 25 miles away and commended Chevilott for handing it over to police. But supervisors felt that he had violated a Department of Public Services policy forbidding employees from possessing weapons on work property and fired him, in addition to suspending his foreman for 30 days, according to a county spokeswoman who spoke to myFOXDetroit.

Chevilott's firing comes amidst a deepening probe into corruption in the Wayne County government, the Detroit Free Press reports.

I sure hope he gets his job back. I don't see how they can get away with this.

The labor union Local 101 has filed a grievance on behalf of Chevilott, who had worked for the county for 23 years and was two years away from being eligible for retirement. Supporters have also started a Facebook page and a Change.org petition in an effort to help Chevilott get his job back.

Huffington Post
edit on 18-5-2012 by orbitbaby because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
He should have been fired. The rule was clear and the punishment was known. This is what happens when the nanny state and their stupid "zero tolerance" rules get implemented. Elections have consequences.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Good job Wayne County Department of Public Services. This is the type of gun control we need.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
The Huffington post article just copies the story from myfoxdetroit, but somehow manages to not copy this bit...

Chevilott also was let go for insubordination and unauthorized access to the road yard.

Please dont ever cite the Huffington Post ever again.
They just steal stories from other places, and alter them for maximum outrage in the process.
Link to the original article... please.
More ignorance can be denied that way.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by orbitbaby

SUE, SUE, SUE !!!

yep this is a blatant attempt to cheat him out of retirement benefits

unless those who fired him have something to do with that gun he inconveniently uncovered

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by DarthMuerte

And you should get ban, just my opinion. It wasnt his gun so how did he violate anything at all? He did what any sane normal person would do that isnt planning on doing an criminal activity. It isnt right what they did, hope he gets his job back.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte
He should have been fired. The rule was clear and the punishment was known. This is what happens when the nanny state and their stupid "zero tolerance" rules get implemented. Elections have consequences.

so you've saved money with this method?

tell us more

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
That is a load of BS!

He did do the right thing anytime someone finds a gun it should be reported to the police for the simple fact that gun could have been used in numerous crimes and could be critical in putting away real criminals which that grounds keeper was not.

His employer are morons if they can't tell what possession means he did not bring it to work he was not the owner of that weapon and his act just save his employers from being sued.

Imagine if that worker had not found it and some kid got a hold of it that would mean they would be getting sued for negligence.

They owe that guy is job and his retirement and a formal apology and bonus for mental anguish.

Can't stand Government of the federal level or local.

That sucks.
edit on 18-5-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1
The Huffington post article just copies the story from myfoxdetroit, but somehow manages to not copy this bit...

Chevilott also was let go for insubordination and unauthorized access to the road yard.

Please dont ever cite the Huffington Post ever again.
They just steal stories from other places, and alter them for maximum outrage in the process.
Link to the original article... please.
More ignorance can be denied that way.

Insubordination could have been for "disobeying" the rules by having the gun.

Did you think of that?

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

Hidden in weeds in Detroit's Brightmoor area, Chevilott and his Wayne County crew discovered a loaded, snubnosed revolver as they were mowing the lawn mid-morning on May 3.

lol and fox is better?

what about the rest of the crew?
and 30 suspension only for foreman?

get a clue nowadays correcting/contradicting a superior, w/ the authoritarian disease,
is often translated as "talking back" hence insubordination
the unauthorized access to the road yard bit is just BS icing really

you brought a gun onto the property...

what was i gonna do? leave it there on the ground where anybody could take it
while i went in to call police/got ready to take it to station?

No smart/back talk!!!
you're fired!!!

this is why i'm self employed: too many bosses thinking/treating employees are/like slaves or their children

nope, sounds like somebody was looking for an excuse
or looking to make savings with somebody else's pension

edit on 18-5-2012 by DerepentLEstranger because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Let that be a lesson to anyone who finds anything.
Just keep it.
The law can be totaly crazy.
People who find bodies on vacant lots and report it are automaticly suspects.
Such is a time to be blind.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
That's why he should have kept it as his "throw-away" gun. At some point, when a situation arises and he needs to shoot someone, he uses that gun, keeping his registered gun clean, and providing him an alibi since he was obviously somewhere else at the time that gun was stolen 25 miles away!

Or, he could do the right thing and turn it into the police, but look how that turned out for him.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by PhantomLimb
Insubordination could have been for "disobeying" the rules by having the gun.
Did you think of that?

I'm making no claim one way or another as to the rights or wrongs, truth or false of the allegations.

What I'm saying is that in order to discuss this matter one needs to get as much clear detail as one can on the actual story, and not the twisted huffingtonpost version.

Another example..
The huffington post says

He called police to come pick up the gun

but this simply not so. No call was made.

The original story says

we put [it] in the van, waited [for] police to drive by."

There are way too many stories posted on ATS where its just one website copying and pasting a copied version that was copied from somewhere else citing some other source who copied it from somewhere else again.
Do you want truth, or chinese whispers?

edit on 18-5-2012 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte

this has nothing to do with elections....in california, you can get fired for no reason...it's a "right to work" state...in other words, it's a "i can fire you for anything, anytime" state...they have been firng people here for years, just because they make too much money, or get too old, or get too close to retirement, and they can bring in a 22 year old and pay him 8 bucks an hour part-time, no benefits. they don't care how mediocre a job he does.
what country you been livng in for the last 2 decades

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

I haven't been living in the same USA I grew up in, that is for sure. We really started dying in 1992 even more so after NAFTA was signed.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

Good catch. Thanks for pointing that out. Your right, Huff Post does have a way of
sensationalizing stories sometimes. Nonetheless, it still doesn't negate the fact this
guy was unjustly fired.
Seriously, he does the right thing and pays for it with his job. It's still stinks.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   
No he should not have been fired. This is what happens when rules are taken too literally and people lose their ability to think. The rule is clearly in place to keep people from bringing firearms to work, or on the property, or whatever...This is clearly an unusual circumstance that needed to be handled with clear judgement. I mean look at the consequences...All he could do was leave the loaded gun there. No employee could have retrieved it or they too would have been fired.

The police hadn't shown up, and all the time that passed before they finally showed up means that there is a loaded handgun laying on the lawn. Do you know how dangerous that is? That is just a lawsuit waiting to happen, because it is on their property. This man did the LOGICAL thing. It was NOT his weapon, and leaving it were it lay would clearly have been a horrible judgement call, and who knows what could have potentially happened. A kid could have wandered onto it for all we know.

What I am saying is that this is ridiculous. It is OBVIOUS that they were looking for a reason to fire him, probably because he was so close to retirement, and they would probably have to shell out some money on that occasion. I actually hope that was the reason, because if not, the government hires people dumber than I thought. And I always knew they hire a lot of dummies, lol. *cough TSA*

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by MilzGatez

Methinks you need a sarcasm meter

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

You hit the nail on the head for california. I have literally witnessed employers fire people for no reason. It's their word against the now fired employee. They fired one guy at a place I used to work because they thought he was eating too much of the food in the office kitchen. that the company buys for all the employees to snack on. Not let go. fired. that's some BS. he tried to fight it because his unemployment got denied. because the employers said they fired him. the response from EDD. well it's your word against theirs. you'll have to appeal or sue. either way will take too long. so no you can't do anything about it sorry. That's what they told him. Whats worse is this guy was awesome at his job and was known as the Rock Star of the department he was in. But en executive that worked in a neighboring department who was basically in competition with the department he was in had a lot of sway and basically conspired to get the guy fired because he was making this executives department look lame in comparison. so it was a private vendetta.

Lame that california allows this sort of BS.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Of course, that way they don't have to devise an elaborate plan to screw him out of retirement money.He did it for them.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join