It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mystery earthquake near McCall puzzles scientists, technicians....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Another unexplained earthquake that was felt by the citizens of this town, yet did not show up on the seismographs in Idaho. Well, it has been blamed on a sonic boom or mining equipment but the folks there believe differently.

MCCALL, Idaho -- You could call it a mystery earthquake, a sonic boom, or maybe nothing at all.

Several witnesses report waking up to what they say was a small earthquake south of McCall early Thursday around 4:30 a.m. However, those shaky claims have employees at Idaho's U.S. Geological Survey scratching their heads in disbelief.

There is a possible answer however:

Research geophysicist Joan Gomberg works for the USGS at the University of Washington in Seattle. Gomberg says her seismic records do, in fact, show "something that could be a small earthquake," recorded at 4:42 a.m. MDT in the McCall area.

As to why some scientists and USGS employees can't readily see this one, Gomberg offered an interesting explanation. "This area is at the edge of the Pacific Northwest Seismic Network, and where the monitoring network begins to get sparser, so small earthquakes are more likely to be missed," Gomberg said. Gomberg also reminds folks that sometimes a sonic boom from a nearby jet can feel like earthquake, along with large mining equipment, and road work.

But as usual, some residents are not convinced......

ww.ktvb.com/home/Myster-quake-near-McCall-puzzles-scientists-151925345.html

Seems to be a lot of unexplained booming sounds and earthquakes or tremor type vibrations in the last year or so. Or maybe they are just talked about more than normal.

Man-made or Mother Nature? Or a mixture of both....

[Also: This is the title that came with this particular article, I didn't come up with it. I kept it as it was....]

edit on 18-5-2012 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   
The USGS does show a quake there, a 2.9... Event, Map. Earthquakes in Idaho aren't all that unusual though. It's the ones in, like, Ohio and Virginia that always grab my attention. Something somewhere is splitting apart...

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   
weird. another mysterious boom and shake.

your link is broken. can you fix it??

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   
It makes me wonder if these are a series of cracking incidents..I know nothing about what is under these areas but we experienced something like this where I live in Northern IL a few years ago at the same time there was a 5.something a state away to the west. I swore something smashed into the guard rail by our home.
I can't comprehend why we would have felt that so far away with such a loud crack or boom.
Just my opinion.
I think Mother Earth is just adjusting herself

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by pasiphae
weird. another mysterious boom and shake.

your link is broken. can you fix it??

Hey, sorry about that. I'll try it again:

www.ktvb.com...

Also, here's another site that has a little something else, like exploding rocks a lady found on the beach that caught her shorts on fire....

theextinctionprotocol.wordpress.com... -explode/

Hope this helps you.....

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Another interesting read that was comical even though the lady suffered burns from it , was the exploding rocks. Definitely a must read:

gawker.com...

Strange to say the least:

A 43-year-old woman in California suffered third-degree burns last Saturday after two rocks she'd collected at the beach SPONTANEOUSLY EXPLODED while she was standing in her kitchen, causing her shorts to catch fire. (The rocks were in her pocket). The Orange County Register reports that the woman tried to stop, drop, and roll (good thinking – good for her) to put out the flames. It didn't help (wait, does that not work?).

The rocks, described as small, the size of a hamburger patty, smooth and orange and green in color, fell from the shorts onto the floor and continued to burn the wood floorand fill the house with smoke.

The rocks, which are clearly either alien lifeforms or were forged in the Mines of Moria, are currently being tested by the Orange County Public Health department to determine why they exploded out of nowhere. Captain Stone thinks the culprit might be phosphorous. "There is phosphorous that naturally occurs on the sand at the beach, but no one has ever heard of pants catching fire."

new topics

top topics

join