It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Report: 'Fat Tax' Could Curb Nation's Obesity Problem

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Report: 'Fat Tax' Could Curb Nation's Obesity Problem

INDIANAPOLIS -- Health experts have been trying to combat obesity in America for years and have recently suggested a new way to solve the growing problem. A new study suggests that imposing a fat tax on unhealthy food and drinks could help slim down

www.theindychannel.com...

Rather tired of Government officials trying to play God nay I am effin fed up with it for the pun.

If you can smoke it
If you can drive it
If you can build it
If you can read it
If you and eat it

You will be taxed on it.

Let's give around of applause to those that "claim" they are looking out for you.!!!!

So much for personal responsibility never mind you don't have to think Government will tell you what to think, how to act, and what you can or can't put in your own body.

Blah

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

I wonder if there might be a common ingredient in American diets that aids obesity. Something that isn't widely used in other countries because of the laws against it and the fact that their governments don't make it cheap to use.

I wonder if the "American obesity problem" only really kicked into gear after such an ingredient found its way into 90% of the nation's food supply, yet we are assured that, unlike any other nation, the problem is caused simply because of our lifestyles, regardless of what we choose to eat.

I wonder if that little special ingredient might be known as corn syrup.

I wonder.

I wonder.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by gwydionblack

A trend in America (and growing in Europe) is the "fast and cheap" way of life. Why make food for your entire family when you can just do a drive through at McD's in under 10 minutes? Of course, McD's doesn't really contain the nutrients one needs, so unlike a real home cooked meal with meat, potatoes and other vegetables, you end up hungry again sooner rather then later.

This means, you go eat some more cheap food through a drive through. Rinse and repeat.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Alcohol was a problem tax it
Cigarettes was a problem so tax it
Global Warming is a problem so tax it.

Guess what?

Any of those problems ever gone away?

Nope.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I'm not obesed, matter of fact, I've had doctors get on me about too little weight...
so, well, if they start adopting policies that are there to encourage me to lose weight, can I get an exemption, since I for one need to gain weight, or so my doctors have told me???

just wondering here...
hey, it ain't my fault that most of the americans go to work and sit behind a desk all day.
I burn more calories than I take in.....so, well....taxing the occasional doughnut that I might decide to snack on, or that bag of chips would be kind of counterproductive in my case, and since I am in this position, I am sure there are lots more!!!

how about we try going back to how we ate in the early 70's...ya know, home cooked meals (yummy deserts include_--only made with real sugar), real eggs, real lard, real natural food!!
and maybe bring back the production jobs that people actually burned calories doing!!

something tells me that the lbs would start falling off some people...of course, I've seen a few that I think would probably die if they tried to go a day doing my job....

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Auricom

there's a well known steak house chain in my city that we visit every once in awhile.....

everytime we go there, and I watch the people there, I don't want to eat, I just kind of sit there and look around and wonder what the heck they have in their food!! I see more overly obese people in that place than anywhere else!!!

but, ya, blame the mc donalds......

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
WOO HOO!

Times up fatties!!! Remember when you all clamored to have my dirty cigarrettes taxed beyond belief!

"You shouldn't smoke, that will help you quit."

Well gues what fatso?! "You shouldn't eat so much, this will help you quit."

I have been waiting for FIVE YEARS for this, and I am sooooo happy now. Time for the geese to get gandered, for sure.

I was going to fight for them, but no. When "they" came for me, the chubs and company basically handed me to them. Now I will be getting the forklift to carry these folks to the counter of removed rights, so they can pick up their plate of government bread and water.

Every complaint I hear will be met with a puff of smoke to the face. And a smile, as I remind them of how "They knew best" when it came to my life. So they MUST know best for your life too

Lastly, anyone else notice the full circle?

Sugar Tax in the 1700's = Boston Tea Party (The acual event, that the new "tea party" was created to destroy.)
Sugar Tax in the 2000's = Who cares? (Refers to above, since whenever I reference the Boston Tea Party, everyone thinks I am talking about present day ignorance...)

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
What exactly is the problem with this ?

If you don't want to pay the tax, then don't eat junk food; try something healthy instead.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

if chocolate milk isn't healthy enough for ya, well, we've got a problem!!!

I drink it, it's the only milk I will drink. tax it, I end up paying more for calcium I really need!

and, that is my problem with it!!

oh, and by the way...
most supplements that are taken orally are just run through the system with very little being used, so don't give me the crap about calcium pills!

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes
What exactly is the problem with this ?

If you don't want to pay the tax, then don't eat junk food; try something healthy instead.

While I disagree with this comment, with every fiber of my being. I agree with it at the same time!

Moral pushing, is not proper. No matter how "good" it makes me (or someone else) feel. Am I happy this is happening to them, yes.

Why? Because the more people "fed up" with the way they are treated, the faster change is going to happen. So, yes I do want them to keep taking these rights away. Eventually (I hope) the people will say "We've paid enough!" And the real change will happen.

Until then, I am going to enjoy watching every moral pusher get new morals pushed onto them. Because I have yet to force others to live like I live. And watching people that forced me to live their way, get forced into living a different way. Well that is just @)$*# ing awesome

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
First they came for the alcholics, and i did not speak out because i was not an alcoholic

Then they came for the smokers and i did not speak out because i was not a smoker

Then they came for the fatties and i did not speak out because i was not fat

Then they came for me and there was no one left to speak for me.

Zeig Heil.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Its just more social engineering from the meddling UK government.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Sounds to me like they're just scrambling for all the loose change they can find in the couch. The economy is going down. No amount of cheap band-aids is going to fix it this time.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
First they came for the alcholics...

And I was handed to them, because "Drinking is bad for you"

Then they came for the smokers...

And I was handed to them, because "Smoking is bad for you"

Then they came for the fatties

And I handed them off, because "I am a bad person, hell I drink and smoke!"

When will people realize that everyone has already been taken away? Now they are just setting the rules to the slave camp known as Earth.

"Thou shalt not kill other slaves"
"Thou shalt be healthy for thine workload"
"Thou shalt follow the "right way" any deviants will be taken!"

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by adigregorio

Maybe if they smoked and drank more they wouldn't be fat

Second.
edit on 18-5-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

HA!

Honestly, no I do not agree with these "sin taxes" or "moral codes".

But I can not lie either, and dear god does this make me happy. (Probably supposed to elicit this response in me, due to the FACT that any other circumstance of this happening I would be against 100%)

So while I will "rub it in" as best I can, no I will not "hand them off" to the takers. Even though I am handed off daily for my life choices, I can be above moral pushing.

But Hayseus this is a great feeling. All those chub debs that would cover their face, and cough at me as I huddled in sub-zero temperatures to smoke. All the while, in the warmth of the restaraunt they stuffed and gorged. Now, I will still be freezing my sack off, but their meal time will also be affected.

Like I said, I am to the point where I can see that everyone needs to be taken away. Once they do that, folks will get fed up (I hope) and we can demand our changes.

Until then, smoke break!

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by dawnstar

There are other foods which are high in calcium: cheese, potatoes, yoghurt, etc.

Healthy nutritional alternatives to junk food are always available. Not that there's anything wrong with eating a bit of junk food now and again, but hopefully a tax like this will go some way to focusing the mind of obese people.

While I realise that some people have genetic disorders which contribute to their obesity, or are extreme mesomorphs, the fact of the matter is that most overweight people are that way because of self-indulgence and a lack of self-discipline.

If they can't be persuaded to change their lifestyle by any normal means, then hit them in the pockets.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I'm 5'10'' and 130 pounds, so I'm underweight. Will a feeding tube be shoved down my throat to gain weight? Typical government bs, they try to control your life in any way possible.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes
If they can't be persuaded to change their lifestyle by any normal means, then hit them in the pockets.

What gives you the right to tell others how to live?

Huh? Please, inform me what god gave you the foresight to tell me how to live MY LIFE.

Check the signature, it's from a song titled "My Life" you should listen to it, and take heed. For you WILL be the next on the list to be taken, just like I told the heavies.

Wait till it is your turn, guess who will be laughing at your anger. Me!

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by adigregorio

The thing is that in the UK, obese people get treated for free on the NHS, even if their poor diet is the cause, or a contributory factor, to their illness.

I'm not sure what it's like in the US, but I'm sure that seriously overweight people must cost the taxpayer in some form over there.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join