It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Video-game Conspiracy

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by morpheusxxz
Corporations are all about making money. They don't great products out of their good heart and kindness. They don't give a damn about you, they just want money. Halo and COD series do well at indoctrinating kids. But I do not think that it is TPTB planning all this stuff. Corporations are making what attracts the consumers the most and they are making TPTB's work easier in the process.

reply to post by BASSPLYR

And I do not agree with your statement about EA. There wasn't much promotion for ME 1 and ME 2 but they excellent games made by excellent guys at BioWare. Then EA came in and wanted to milk this cash cow as much as they can. ME3 had so much of promotion not for being good but for EA to make maximum amount of money with it. Setting a deadline for a game is just pathetic. They no more respect games for what they are and its just another source of cash to them.

Certainly, it was an excellent game and lived upto the expectation. But the ending? Even the developers know that they fked up and look pretty disappointed with it (see ME 3 conference at PAX East video on youtube). I put the blame on EA for this. And yes, the last 15 minutes matter to the whole 150 hours of content of the entire franchise. Imagine the whole planet Pandora being mysteriously nuked in the end of Avatar and everyone dead. Wouldn't make sense and would spoil all the fun. Same with ME3.

Indeed, because they make their work easier for them I'd think its safe to say they're two sides to the same agenda. As you can see in the OP there has been talk of a merger between EA and Microsoft, with EA becoming the primary video game marketing arm of Microsoft. And it is right to put the blame to EA for the ending of ME3. Were it not for their draconianly enforced deadline on the game, the ending would have been more explained and well-thought-out. Instead we got 15 minutes of "wtf?" And just looking at the way all these companies and videogame releases, set backs, flaws, cancellations, and deadlines, interact with one another, is beginning to seem like it was all put that way to benefit Halo and Microsoft.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
bump

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
The deal is certain games are more aligned to certain 'factions' or groups of people than others.
The ones that are quashed, silenced or subverted tend to be the ones that

EA is mostly responsible for the demise of independent non-mainstream gamemakers back in the 1990s.
They either bought out the small-game-makers or left them to languish on diminishing returns from game sales.
Piracy also hit the smaller game makers hard too. The big corporation gamemakers could absorb this.

About the small game-makers. They tended to be free-thinking, anti-establishment and evenly balanced.
Some would even say there was a subtle message or theme tucked away. Obviously if you just played the games it wouldn't be that clear. However if you read the documentation that came with it the back-story the makers had put together would let you in it

One of the best indie game-makers were Psygnosis and I'm sure they didn't just choose that name randomly either

Examples:

Shadow of the Beast series.
Moonstone
Hired Guns
Flashback etc

Now in the post mid-1990s games that trend and vibe was mostly quashed, but you do see it from time to time in certain games.
One thing I've noticed is that since the console games came on the market more and more there's been a 'dumbed-down' notion to them, compared to the PC games.
Call of Duty, the Original Call of Duty games from about 1999 to about 2004 for the PC was very much realistic compared to it's later incarnations (which took root by about COD 4).

Halo is like playing the futuristic version of the Military Industrial Complex with shades of an indestructable golem creature, I don't really *get* why people love that game so much...

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
you know I was never that impressed with the halo games either. I think that they're popular simply because the main gaming demographic right now grew up with the game, hence it's popularity. I always thought it was a silly game.

Good point on the shift in COD from the original game to the latest version which is more like a teenager wrote the script. Demographics I guess have changed.

Personally if I'm playing a FPS I would prefer it to be realistic. I own and shoot guns and it annoys me when they can't even get the gun to look, feel, operate or even sound correct.

I enjoy Battle Field 3 over games like Halo or Modern Warfare because you actually have to stick to cover. Stick your head out and you die. get stuck in a fatal funnel and you die. get shot once and you die. I like that. I can't stand run and gun games. I actually returned my MW3 because I was so bummed about how it turned out.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by BASSPLYR
you know I was never that impressed with the halo games either. I think that they're popular simply because the main gaming demographic right now grew up with the game, hence it's popularity. I always thought it was a silly game.

Good point on the shift in COD from the original game to the latest version which is more like a teenager wrote the script. Demographics I guess have changed.

Personally if I'm playing a FPS I would prefer it to be realistic. I own and shoot guns and it annoys me when they can't even get the gun to look, feel, operate or even sound correct.

I enjoy Battle Field 3 over games like Halo or Modern Warfare because you actually have to stick to cover. Stick your head out and you die. get stuck in a fatal funnel and you die. get shot once and you die. I like that. I can't stand run and gun games. I actually returned my MW3 because I was so bummed about how it turned out.

I agree, but even the Call of Duty series is in danger of being absorbed into the Halo monopoly. Halo has expanded into other mediums as well. Comic books, novels, films, hell even the toy industry. It won't be long before all entertainment branches off from an entirely Halo origin. To be honest I liked how in MW2 the American Military-Industrial Complex turns out to be the main antagonist, then MW3 ruined it with more completely unrealistic Russian-American wars. Blah.

It was still better than Halo, however.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Davian

Doubtful,since halo and cod are competing corporations.. halo= bungi, a splinter of MS and Cod= activision which = blizzard..
btw, cool avatar.. if youre a classic gamer then youll recognize this

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Juggernog
reply to post by Davian

Doubtful,since halo and cod are competing corporations.. halo= bungi, a splinter of MS and Cod= activision which = blizzard..

Wrong, Halo is now owned directly by Microsoft. Microsoft owns EA, and EA has in essence been methodically destroying games since the mid-late 90's. What you don't seem to understand, is that these big international giants (EA, Microsoft, Sony, etc) are the ones who market the games, they aren't the original creators of the games, that task is up to independent privately owned companies, created by average joes, people like me and you. When they clinch their shares of these games, they become tools for propaganda and brainwashing. When all of these marketing conglomerates come together, they decide which games succeed, and which ones fail - ergo, the rise of the Halo monopoly. Microsoft is the most powerful = Halo wins.

Originally posted by Juggernog
reply to post by Davian

btw, cool avatar.. if youre a classic gamer then youll recognize this

Doom? =)
In my opinion the once, and always, reigning king of sci-fi First Person Shooters. With its fanbase, Halo will never truly be the king, only the false praise and ratings it gets from corporate-owned review services. =P
edit on 26-5-2012 by Davian because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Davian

Its the Nail Gun Ammo from Quake 1

On April 29, 2010, Bungie announced that it was entering into a 10-year publishing agreement with publisher Activision Blizzard.[37][38] Under Bungie's agreement with Activision, new intellectual property developed by Bungie will be owned by Bungie, not the publisher, in a deal similar to the EA Partners Program.[38][39]

Yes MS owns the rights to Halo but bungie develops the game. I doubt they would do anything to hurt their partnership with activision.

btw, I am an avid player of both games and cannot wait for Halo 4, which should be out sometime this year.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Hmmm...Interesting theory.

I guess I'll have to treat the release of these games as I've always had.

Play them and move on.

Of course Halo became a stupid game for me after Halo 3.

I personally think that Black Ops 2 will be far better.

And to the people dissapointed about the future plot of Black Ops 2, it was going to happen
all along, but all you people wanna do is play the same game over and over again.

Halo 4 is most likely gonna be a campaign game only for me.

Call of Duty's multiplayer was ALWAYS better.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   
i definately agree, however, something needs to be done if it does affect creativity

top topics

<< 1   >>

join