It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Does Everyone Hate...

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   
IMO, the best series about vampires was Ms. Anne Rice's collections....my particular favorite was The Vampire Lestat.

Here is a highly moral person who is forced to become a vampire....and tries to reconcile the obvious predatory nature of the vampire with his personal code. Insightful to say the least. The way Lestat agonizes over killing yet craves that killing....true horror at its finest. Then, of course, there is the savagery of Lestat attempting to rationalize his new life by hunting only the evil doer. Of course, the confrontation with the vampires who worship Satan (Lestat is an agnostic) was truly delicious.

Rice also addressed something else I've always wondered about immortals....how do you mentally deal with immortality? Her solution....the vampires "die" by burying themselves in the ground and basically slumbering for several decades, until they are ready to reemerge once again into society.

So if you want a real vampire story....read Rice's series. Phenomenal.

link   
I prefer True Blood

with soooooooooooooooooooookeeeeeeee

never really liked twilight .. find the movies .. boring

link   
reply to post by Starchild23

I thought everyone liked it? lol
I'll admit that I've seen the movies, haven't read the books though.

link   
reply to post by intrepid

Vampires are supposed to be the enemy.

And you've touched on where I was going.

We are supposed to see vampires and stuff as monsters, so we have a criteria to look for.

Fangs? Nope.

Sucks blood? Nope.

All scary with a big black cape? Nope.

Sweet, it isn't a monster.

That way, we don't begin looking at ourselves as monsters...basically, Hollywood is dissociating the monster aura from the human race...despite the fact that we are indeed monsters.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

I thought we were supposed to escape the reality mentality?

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Vampires don't exist, so I've already exited reality. anything further added has NOTHING to do with reality.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Underworlds

How do you know the original intention, exactly?

How do you know why these creatures were created?

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starchild23

I thought we were supposed to escape the reality mentality?

What better way to escape reality than to imagine an alternate reality, and place yourself there?

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
I found the books interesting, but poorly written. I read them all though, so what does that say about me?

I think the majority of people just like to trash Twilight because it lets them feel superior about something.

Or it could be that the vampire portrayals just suck

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Another interesting take on the vampire lore is Dan Simmon's Children of the Night.

In this book, Dracula (Vlad Tepes) is alive and well...sorta. Actually, he's sick of life and ready to pass on his realm to his chosen heir.

How has Vlad survived so long? A blood disease, double recessive, that effects the immune system. Simmons lays out a perfect medical hypothesis for vampirism.

Kate Newman, MD and world-renowed hemotologist, adopts the intended heir from a Romanian orphange in the 80s after the fall of the dictator. She's on the verge of discovering a possible cure for everything, based on the infants disease, when the vampires arrive.

Great medical drama, gripping suspense, bad guys are the bad guys....highly recommend it.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   

lol
i give you the keys but you're afraid to go there

vampires symbolize the oligarchy don't you get it?

"TPTB are human too" is the message hollywood wants you to swallow

the original meaning of the word myth is :a true story
and the original purpose of myth was instruction
now it means [and is used for] the opposite [purpose]

take hercules for example
total distortion of the original stories
a tragic hero who died horribly because of his wife's jealousy

is now a fun loving comedic figure accompanied by his sweet little murderess

it's called programing for a reason

homework:
look up the Mystery Play [the ancient form, not the xtian bastardization[hollywood precursor]
study Theodore Roszak's Unfinished Animal: The Aquarian Frontier and the Evolution of Consciousness

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
LOL Seriously? Some of your responses are just silly to others.

Hey, why do I not like twilight so much?
Because I read grown up Vampire romance. Where there is plenty of hot sex AND violence. The violence is either by the bad guys, or to them. Does this make me want more violence in my life? Not even close!
It is fantasy, just like True Blood, which by the way couldn't be more different than the books, but I do like.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Sorry Twilight is crap, it's akin to taking a great white shark, throwing it in a kids pool and they all become friends and sing songs together..... There are some things in this world you just don't do!

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   

IMO, the best series about vampires was Ms. Anne Rice's collections....my particular favorite was The Vampire Lestat.

Here is a highly moral person who is forced to become a vampire....and tries to reconcile the obvious predatory nature of the vampire with his personal code. Insightful to say the least. The way Lestat agonizes over killing yet craves that killing....true horror at its finest. Then, of course, there is the savagery of Lestat attempting to rationalize his new life by hunting only the evil doer. Of course, the confrontation with the vampires who worship Satan (Lestat is an agnostic) was truly delicious.

Rice also addressed something else I've always wondered about immortals....how do you mentally deal with immortality? Her solution....the vampires "die" by burying themselves in the ground and basically slumbering for several decades, until they are ready to reemerge once again into society.

"twighlight" is no "interview with the vampire", that is for sure.
One suck, one does not! You decide.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Twilight feminized monsters..

A sparkling Vampire? "omg dont look at me, im ugly, i'm sparkly.." .. seriously? i know girls fall for this crap easily, but damn u gotta be so damn obvious...?

An Emo Werewolf? "-its a frkin puzzy.

Yeah i did watch the first one... cause my friends(girls..go figure) lured me into saying "hey it has vampires and werewolfs, you'll like it". Reason i went is cause 1) girls.. 2) i had Underworld picture in my mind.

hese monsters should be kept on a Underworld(movie) atmosphere/attributes, not pink sparkly and cute furry.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   

you might like this

Morbius,_the_Living_Vampire

edit on 18-5-2012 by DerepentLEstranger because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Turkenstein

"twighlight" is no "interview with the vampire", that is for sure.
One suck, one does not! You decide.

Pun intended?

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by DerepentLEstranger

How about Radu? These are supposed to be monsters. Not pets or consorts. Unless they want you as consorts......before death.
Check out the Subspecies movies. Very artistic.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starchild23
...Twilight?

Why? Why all the hate?

I'm genuinely curious as to whether there is any intellectual processes going on in this book-bashing bononza that has reduced the series to an ashen pile of ridicule.

I dunno.
Did you know that vampirism has gone up in the US because of these type of movies? No kidding: The officials said that more and more people find the concept of sucking blood attractive and try to be vampires after seeing these movies.
Crazy.
Peace

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

en.wikipedia.org...

an unnatural, animated cadaver that needs to feed on the living
perfect description of the system and it's managers, let alone vamps

movies like blade or innocent blood are stories of the triumph of spirit over matter
their protagonists become vampires through no choice of their own and seek to overcome their conditions

let's not forget Barry Windsor-Smith and Chris Ulm's Rune

Rune was a human-like alien in the Ultraverse, until he acquired the Star Stones, magical artifacts which made him virtually immortal, but cursed him with a monstrous form and a vampiric thirst for blood. Ages ago, he found himself stranded on Earth, and has been both worshipped as a god and reviled as a demon throughout history.

In issue 1 of his ongoing series, Rune is seeking out super-powered teenagers, unaware of their government connections and robotic protection. Rune is captured and seemingly absorbed by a government computer

Rune is noted not for just drinking blood, but eating the entirety of his victims, such as one of the powered beings created in the 1993 first issue of the Strangers (Malibu Comics) series. His powers had led him to predict the incident so he lay in wait and planned so he can kidnap and consume one of the passengers.[2]

www.marvunapp.com...

Rune was originally a barbarian in an alien world (Darkur) of the Ultraverse. After killing a dragon, he consumed its flesh in hopes of gaining its strength. He then made his way to a giant carved idol containing a large jewel--the Eye of the Infinite--that gave him a vision of his future as a vampire warlord. He then destroyed the jewel, which exploded into numerous Star Stones. The living being that made up the Eye of the Infinite passed on to another plane, and at the same time passed its curse onto Rune, granting him virtual immortality and cursing him to a vampiric existence: "May the gift of the Far-Sight guide you to ruin...and may your dark soul fall to bitter decay. All suffering shall be yours, little creature--for now... I am free of it."

edit on 18-5-2012 by DerepentLEstranger because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join