It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shove those labels up your..........

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Labeling someone is demeaning. It’s ignorant and defeats the purpose of intelligent conversation. If I question any aspect of 911, I am a truther. If I question any aspect of president Obama’s shady past, I am a birther. These terms were made up and used by the MSM. The same MSM that tells you what to believe, what to think, not to question “Their” version of truth.

A news flash for the incredibly dense and uniformed…. There is middle ground. There can be intelligent questions asked and answered without resorting to second grade playground name calling. This site is all about finding truth. Sure there is plenty of flat out fabrication, but the truth is the ultimate goal.

Don’t let yourself fall into the trap of idiocy and lump people into an easy to ignore group.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Not in this world there cant, people only see things in black and white. That is what we have been taught since birth, good/evil , wrong/right, rich/poor. I am not saying that its correct to view things in such a way but it is the current situation that we live in.

I personally want people to label me, i want to know what there preconcived notions are about me, that way i learn something about them. As they say I didnt pick this war, but i will be darned sure i know how to fight it. lol

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Problem is that the label defines the argument. For example, "homophobe" What does it mean? That someone is AFRAID of homosexuals. So if I say I do not agree with same-sex marriage, I'm immediately called a "homophobe." I never expressed any fear of homosexuals. I did not express hatred. I did not even express a dislike. I simply expressed the idea that I did not agree with the homosexual agenda of same-sex marriage.

Another example: "tea-bagger." This is actually a sexual and anti-homosexual insult referring to a man dipping his testicles into another man's mouth. My guess is many people adapt the term without really knowing what it means, but the fact is if a Tea Party member called liberals "Ho's" there would be an immediate outcry, yet Liberals use "Tea-bagger" with impunity.

And, of course, our favorite: "raaaacist" for just about anything. A local reporter wrote an article about camping in federal and State parks and suggested people should leave their Boom Boxes at home. he was called a racist for saying that.

If you allow people to define the argument with their terms, they are in a much better position to chart the course.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

exactly. It just seems childish and like a way to immediately separate yourself from the opposition.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I agree with you my friend, labelling has been getting on my nerves the last few days. People like to classify other people for themselves.

Like the terms Liberal, Conservative, Leftist, rightist, etc. I get called certain labels all the time and i just stare at these people. I never label, i find it not important to the conversation. As if it makes some sort of difference (it really doesnt). Almost seems like these labels are put in place to keep us all divided.. oh wait..

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by network dude

You seem to throw a lot of labels at "Christians".

Fundamentalist, Super Christians, etc.

I guess only you can use labels....huh?

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

The OP has a valid point. Do you have anything of substance to add other than further insults and baiting?

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I agree with you OP.
Also some poster should grow up.
I am really tired of seeing them calling another shill, paid dis-info agent or whatnot as soon as someone does not agree with their own opinion.
Very tiring and childish. I guess its part of the deal of hanging out on ATS.

Anyhow, this is my opinion, and if you do not agree... well you are allowed to.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   

I fully agree that I have been guilty of it. In retrospect, it's a mistake.
But none of that changes the fact that it all but eliminates logical discussion.

edit to add:
and BTW, I consider myself a Christian. I just don't agree with demanding everyone else be one too.

edit on 18-5-2012 by network dude because: added thought.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by SolidGoal
I am really tired of seeing them calling another shill, paid dis-info agent

YES!

This is one of the most annoying ones of all. If you do not agree with my point of view, you are obviously a paid disinfo agent, because my opinion is the only right one here.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by SolidGoal

The only "phobia" I can truthfully acknowledge is the fear of being burned alive or eaten alive. I don't know the names of those phobias and really don't care.

People will label me regardless of how I actually feel...and for the most part, I don't care about that either. I let my actions speak for themselves.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

The OP has a valid point. Do you have anything of substance to add other than further insults and baiting?

Insults?

I'm pointing out that he himself uses labels...how is that an insult?

We all use labels...most of the time we are ok with it until the label is applied to us.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher

Insults?

We all use labels...most of the time we are ok with it until the label is applied to us.

Which he acknowledged. So how does this BS add anything to the site? It doesn't. Just fans the flames of separation. Thanks for that.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Great thread! I can't agree more with you.
The world is more complex than that. I personally NEVER believe to labels.
We are 7 (I think) billion people on Earth.
There are only thousands of words in the dictionary.
See my point?
A star for you, mate.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Which he acknowledged. So how does this BS add anything to the site? It doesn't. Just fans the flames of separation. Thanks for that.

He acknowledged it after he pointed it out...I starred him..good for him to admitting to it.

May I ask what your posts to me in this thread do for this site? Aren't you just as guilty of fanning the flames if you are accusing me of that?

The OP doesn't like labels...fine...I have no problem with them...I was simply pointing out that the OP was guilty of what he is ranting about (this is in rants). He acknowledged that he has and that he is going to stop, kudos to him.

That would of been the end of it until you interjected yourself into a conversation I was having with the OP.

So who really is causing dissention and not adding anything to the topic?

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   

So who really is causing dissention and not adding anything to the topic?

You.

I will not be lead further into this off topic crap.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Insults?

"BS"..?

I find your post insulting. I am surprised that a moderator would say something like that to a member who only added his 2 cents to a discussion in a calm and polite way.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   

People who label are just ill-informed and have nothing further or intelligent to add imo. Thus, they start throwing insults around with impunity, hoping to save what little face they have left.

I was once called a caveman and a psychopath by a member here for my views on smacking children, as the person had nothing else to add. Another poster responded to my words in an intelligent way, and thus I learned something about parenting skills I previously had never considered. It's all in the delivery, hence the motto.
Deny Ignorance.

If you don't have anything constructive to add, it's better to keep your comments to yourself than open your mouth and be considered a fool or worse.

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Very well stated OP, and I couldn’t agree more.. since joining this site just a few days ago, I have since found out that I am a “racist” and a “bigot” for disagreeing with obama’s groupies.

This was definitely news to me. I sure am glad that these guys were able to have such a profound understanding of me after reading a “Quoted post” taken out of context by another obama supporter.

Anyway, figured I would avoid the overly childish behavior on the politic threads from now on, its like talking to a bunch of second graders hopped up on mountain dew. No intelligent discussions going on over there!

new topics

top topics

join