It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oh Great Tuna comes from Japan??? OMG

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Tuna is overfished, like most other life in the oceans, so the cost of eating it is too high already. Throw in the radiation, the pollution, and the pain caused by killing them, and the tuna who end up in those little cans - maybe some of the last large specimens of their kind - are in the vanguard of fish so damaged by man's strange habit of eating corpses that, like the passenger pigeon (once the most common bird in the sky), tuna may someday only be seen in museums. With all this new activity to give someone pause when thinking about eating "sea food", if I weren't a vegatarian I'd become one rapidly.
edit on 19-5-2012 by Aleister because: edit

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by LittleBlackEagle

You are right that water is a good shield against radiation, but the problem here is what is radioactive. Fish being irradiated in the ocean is literally no concern. Well, I guess it could create tritium which could be ingested by fish, but that really goes to the reason the INSANE amount of radiation released and still being released till this very second and for years probably decades to come is from the fish containing radionuclides through bio-accumulation. The filter feeders will gather up the radionuclides and so will the bottom feeders as some tend to settle instead of being suspended. As those fish get eaten by larger fish and so on, the higher up on the food chain the more contaminated the organism becomes due to this process. So one atom of cesium for a little plankton or whatever is fairly inconsequential for that organism, but as you go up the food chain it accumulates more and more.

Remember, it's not the radiation in the water that would be barely irradiating the fish, really depending on area as by the plant or say within a couple hundred of miles in certain areas it's quite high or was as of most recent data, but the ingestion of the radioactive atoms themselves. We are talking about toxic heavy metals here and stuff you don't want to ingest. Cesium goes straight to muscle tissue where it sits and accumulates and that is why there were so many heart attacks in the Chernobyl clean-up worker/scientist population and in the affected areas. Strontium is a bone seeker and as such causes leukemia. It's a mix of poisoning and those poisons/toxins are also radioactive, which doesn't help the situation. That is why we contain radiation, but cancer is usually very rare. (Without modern day toxins.) We eat radioactive potassium, but it is not a poison to us as our bodies depend on it. There is a big difference between potassium-40 and cesium isotopes because cesium is very toxic to our bodies and accumulates in muscle tissue, on top of being radioactive. It is something to worry about and most would be wise in knowing exactly where the seafood came from and having it tested or skipping it all together.

I personally haven't eaten tuna since a month after the accident and I was the biggest tuna lover out there. :-) It was great since it was so ridiculously high in protein and low in fat plus all the good amino acids, which all made it a great meal for building muscle without high fat meals and just general health. I have to rely on only chicken now and even that is suspect, but I'd rather not take a chance with any one of the thousand isotopes released/ing. The danger from contamination is very real and if you don't understand why there is a problem I suggest rooting around the net. Many good sources out there, just ignore the end of times themes you will see. I believe health physics would be a great keyword to search for. Look up some Chernobyl data and figure out what is reality during and after a meltdown, let alone three, and what is fear-mongering end of times stuff. This is a very real problem though and millions and millions will get sick from this. Kids are to this day being born with heart defects, leukemia, stillborn, underweight, and just damaged DNA causing a multitude other diseases. The reason "radiation" causes a literal laundry list of diseases is because there are so many isotopes. There could be a hundred different diseases caused by "radiation" and that is since each isotope has it's own little toxic niche. Remember, it's a mix of the biological properties of the element itself with it's radioactive properties that make these releases of radionuclides so dangerous. If I were anyone on this board, I wouldn't go out of my way to get food from Japan and would definitely take caution with tuna. I do not know how far tuna from Japan travel, if only to North America or the Atlantic as well, but just remember if tuna were in Japan and accumulated radionuclides, like muscle tissue-seeking cesium, it stays in the fish and does not matter where it is caught after that. Also, neither the Japanese or the American government, are doing any testing of fish imported to this country. You are on your own to determine it's level of contamination. Hope I helped clear that up!

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by KillThePoor

Just wanted to add some information I quickly searched for. Found this at Enenews.com from Aljahzeera. Take note, this is from November of 2011 and since then levels in fish have only had time to accumulate and rise.

Lab Finds Fish with Cesium at 30 Times Government Limit - Was thought to dilute radiation

Description: A new report shows the Fukushima disaster is responsible for the world’s worst nuclear sea contamination. Transcript Summary

- It was first thought currents would swiftly dilute the radiation
- Results from fish samples are proving otherwise
- “Some are registering cesium levels of up to 15,000 becquerels”, 30 times the gov’t limit of 500 Bq/kg.
- Fish close to ocean floor are showing even higher concentration level
- This suggests contamination is seeping into the seabed
- Coastal contamination is on seafloor
- The situation is going to continue for a long time
- Unless removed it will climb up food chain
- Even Tuna 900 km out are showing traces of cesium
- Officials have no answers to rid the vast ocean of fallout

Source:EneNews

900km out is very far and this is an out-of-date test by now. Levels can only increase due to bio-accumulation and the fact the plant was releasing radionuclides straight into the Pacific during and well after, into the present, since this study was conducted. In case anyone was unaware, Tepco is planning to build a deep sea-wall made of concrete in order to keep radionuclides from leaking into the water any further. Notice, they are not working on covering the buildings, but rather stopping the leaks. There are a few reasons for this. One, the core is in a liquid-like state at this point and has left all containment, what little there was, and has gone through the building on at least one reactor, most likely all three. This allows reason two, that the melted cores have come in contact with the water underneath the ground below the buildings and leads straight to the ocean. Fukushima has released substantially more radionuclides into the Pacific than on land or air, and that is really saying something considering how badly some large swaths of land in Japan are contaminated. Those are the most obvious reasons for building a wall like they plan without any secret knowledge not released yet by Japanese authorities.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Quit eating Tuna if you have a brain.

Atlantic Tuna was decimated when its spawning ground in the Gulf of Mexico got the Oilcano along with Corexit.

Pacific Tuna is getting Fukushima's fallout.

Tuna ain't safe to eat.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Fukushima radiation seen in tuna off California

www.reuters.com...

(Reuters) - Low levels of nuclear radiation from the tsunami-damaged Fukushima power plant have turned up in bluefin tuna off the California coast, suggesting that these fish carried radioactive compounds across the Pacific Ocean faster than wind or water can.

Small amounts of cesium-137 and cesium-134 were detected in 15 tuna caught near San Diego in August 2011, about four months after these chemicals were released into the water off Japan's east coast, scientists reported on Monday.

edit on 29-5-2012 by Crakeur because: Please review the use of other's material.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join