It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Creating proper threads..

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Why is it so hard for some people to create a thread properly?
Why do we have to keep finding ourselves plunging headlong into a video that we've all seen before, that there are numerous threads on already and not having any written details about what is being presented, why and any possible content...

Even a few comments by the thread author would be nice..

But no... that's too much work..

For example.. this thread.. at time of posting, just one video, not even an emoticon.. nothing but the video..
www.abovetopsecret.com...

but wait !!!
6 flags and 4 stars already?
What for?

I and many others have worked our fingers to the bone and drained all our brain power in order to format a thread that is as informative as we possibly can yet sometimes we get nowhere..

How is this for an idea.. Do NOT flag or star a thread if there is no or very little content..
No effort deserves no reward.

There was a thread the other day where someone was wondering why nobody replied to another thread he/she had posted.. many of us took the time to respond and try to explain..
www.abovetopsecret.com...

It's this kind of effort and team work and sense of community that helps to make ATS the place it is..

Any Tom Fool can visit any forum around the web and post a video...
But here we demand more than that.. We WANT a conversation, we WANT to discuss

Instead of wasting my 15 minutes watching a video from an effortless post, I thought I'd use my time and let off some steam in this thread..

Yes, we can report the thread to MODs who will simply put up a little linky to tell about how to create threads properly.. but we need to show that no effort deserves no reward.. not even a reply to the thread to complain about the OP or even ask for details.. If no effort could be used in the first place, why should we waste our time trying to get some further info?

Don't flag or star effortless threads.. Let the power of the ATS members show how we feel by not rewarding or responding.

rant over..

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

Yeah i see star floods and tons of pages of replies all the time for threads that have been created many times before, for stuff like: Republicans suck and here is why, blah blah blah, or I have all the answers!!! or yet ANOTHER Obama isn't born here thread......

I do not even check UFO threads out anymore because half the time+ it is just obvious hoaxing and it gets annoying... I spend a lot of time on some threads and they get nothing, then I'll just put an article and a few sentences and get feedback and its like WTH! Granted, I will take feedback and intelligent discussion where I can get it but...

It is frustrating I agree.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
uh huh

i am bad at it

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by nickneal7

Bad at what?
Replying?
Thinking?
Being creative?
Making an effort?

Or just living in general?

Maybe it's your typing skills or lack of understanding of the English language..
whatever it is, I don't know how to calmly take the reply you have provided...

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Let's assume I make a video of myself, reporting about some issue.

Would you demand as well that I also write what I say in the video ?

I'm on the fence regarding this "Posting just a video" issue. I don't really have a problem with it because in my opinion a well made video can explain almost all things better than a written post can, because of the visual component. And in most cases I'm thankful for having my attention pointed towards some interesting video, and I don't really need someone's opinion on it to fully appreciate it.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by H1ght3chHippie

But surely a brief description of what's in the video, what it discusses or shows will give the reader/viewer an idea as to what's going on..

You've got to give something.

When you turn on the TV and check the channel listings, you'll see a programme called "The News" (by whichever channel)... You now have an idea of what you're going to watch.. the days news..

If it said "a programme".. a programme about what? why would I bother to switch to a channel that I have no idea of what's on?
Yes, I could to try to watch and find out, but I could be sat there for two hours watching total nonsense until someone at the end of the programme comes up with a few words that make complete sense to everyone and expands the minds of all humanity..

I might have turned it off after the first 5 minutes and missed the best bit..

But if I had had some idea as to what the content was, then perhaps the nonsense would have been more bearable to get to the good bit..

If i saw a TV channel that never bothered to show any listing of it's programmes, I'm not going to sit there all day evety day trying to find something that might be even remotely worth watching..

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Agreed absolutely. Ill see your RANT...and raise you one RANT as well. Count me in.
Thanks for playing. You said it all.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   
You're dead on with this Extralien. This has become an epidemic around here. And when the mods take action on it, they get accused of every nasty thing you can think of. Being a shill, censorship, favoritism, power tripping, you name it.

And if a member mentions the lack of content, they get accused as well. Plus they have to go off-topic to do so. Not that we're always sure what the topic is. I think you're method of dealing with this is the only one left.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Double post.
edit on 5/18/2012 by Klassified because: Honestly. I only clicked once.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

Perhaps it is the only choice left..

But.. and there always is a but..

Would it not be possible for a new thread to have a requirement of, say, 50 words by the thread author, that has not been copy/pasted/quoted/ex-txt... which actually unlocks the flag/star icons and ability for readers/posters to click on them..

Anything less does not enable flags or stars to be given but could still be a valid thread..
Less effort, less reward...you got the thread but no bonus points..

Good work (or at least a good attempt) deserves some form of recognition.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Something similar to this is done in "Breaking News". If you don't put enough commentary in, it won't post. Skeptic Overlord could probably do something similar with all threads.

Anything less does not enable flags or stars to be given but could still be a valid thread.. Less effort, less reward...you got the thread but no bonus points..

Interesting idea. Maybe a mod could forward this to SO. Maybe it would at least raise the general quality of threads in the conspiracy forums, and the off-topic forums could be left as they are.

Somehow though, you, me, and the staff will wind up being government agents for even suggesting this. Sigh...

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Star and Flag! I wholeheartedly agree here, Extralien. I sincerely hate those one liners posts, or those with just a video and no content, and those with nothing but external quotes.

I and many others have worked our fingers to the bone and drained all our brain power in order to format a thread that is as informative as we possibly can yet sometimes we get nowhere..

How is this for an idea.. Do NOT flag or star a thread if there is no or very little content..
No effort deserves no reward.

I agree even more with this. I myself, and I know others too, have spent days and nights researching on a matter to make certain the truth, and only the truth is contained in the post, and that web links are in place to further back up the premise of the thread. I remember a thread I made awhile ago that I simply made a mistake with ex quote tags, and made no backup that was deleted within a few minutes by staff, for good reason now, and I spent the next three days recreating it for the membership.

I agree here, no effort, no star and flags, it is that simple.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by H1ght3chHippie

Explanations of videos are not only welcome but expected.

Not everyone likes to watch videos....and some cannot at work....perhaps in other countries the video is not available to view at all.
Commentary from the poster helps those know what the video is about.

In fact, posting a lone video with no comment can and does get your post removed, tagged as a lone liner....the thread can be removed or closed.

--Off Topic, One Liners and General Back Scratching Posts--

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

Yes,
It is disheartening and disapointing when you put so much of your time into something only for it to be overshadowed by something that has been given as an example above.

I hope we can sort something out to make it fair for everyone.
There are certain rules here that many don't seem to know or read or just ignore..

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Nice to see some action has been taken, not that I was chasing any.

I've just been going over the thread about off topic one liners etc which is posted above but I'll post again to avoid confusion;
Off Topic, One Liners and General Back Scratching Posts

One thing I've noticed is how people are curious as to who is flagging and starring their threads/posts.
The one liner posts that are basically constructed with this "S&F for you" could be solved rather nicely with a bit of code work, and knowing what ATS is capable of I can't see this being a problem..

The idea is to be able to hover your cursor over a star and see the name of the person who awarded it. When the stars get beyond the the alloted size and dissapears into "+45 more" then you hover over the "45 more" and see a list of who awarded the stars.

The same thing with the flags, hover over the flag amount and get a list of all those who awarded flags.

This could be a very positive option. Often I, and many others, wonder who it is that is giving us the 'thumbs up'.
If you were to hover over your flags and see several mods or even SO had flagged your thread.. what an ego boost for you!!!

This could give you the confidence to try even harder on your next thread/post..

Everyone else will also be able to see who has S+F'd the thread as well, allowing for an overall view as to who is posting or reading which could promote more thread involvement if you noticed that several of your friends/enemies were replying then you can offer your support or prepare for combat.

This also makes the site a bit more interactive and can only promote involvement...

Just a thought

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Another fine example of what not to do

'Zombie apocalypse’ trending as bad news spreads quickly,

Let's hope you're not in a rush to go out and do other more important things next time Tazkven

new topics

top topics

join