It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Girl, 16, Kills Herself After Researching 2012 Doomsday Threads...

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   
The teenage years are a particularly risky time were bad decisions can be made. This is mainly because of hormone levels, as well as brain development. Alot of teenagers are in the process of learning to use their prefrontal cortex as the chief decision maker, but during this process they sometimes rely on their amygdala which causes them to make bad choices like this.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Thank you oh charlatans for poisoning our children's young minds with your B.S

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   
There was a newspaper story about a woman who starved herself to death "Christina Symanski, Paralyzed Artist, Starved Herself To Death" in 2011. After I read the story about her diving accident in 2005, and how she was paralyzed from a broken neck, and had been a promising artist, but decided she was a burden to all of her loved ones...I concluded that she was very courageous to end her life as to not be a burden to others. When I told my 19 year old son about this, he disagreed with me stating that it takes more courage to keep going as many others in this world of ours have done. You know what? I could see his point and "out of the mouths of babes!" But as an older and more experienced person, I still say that we can only judge from a distance and probably have no right to since we can't POSSIBLY know what she was going through in her mind! No matter, there will be some of us who say it's a courageous act, and some of us who say it was cowardly. But who really knows why but them...and it could only really matter to the people closest to them. We are just curious bystanders ready to take that "penny" for our thoughts!

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
if the internet jumped off the empire state building ......

and so on... yada yada yada

lots of things are sad, but this story is just stupid

when people like this think, they weaken the nation (Moe Howard)

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Very tragic.
Even though it seems to most readers, it makes no sense to off yourself, if that's coming anyways, she must have had other reasons and her thoughts weren't rational at the time. Somehow she rationalized this was the most favorable time. Kids get scared.

If the new religion she found had her believing there's some phenomenal afterlife , and that triggered her desire to do it now as opposed to staying around and witnessing the breakdown of the planet and the species she seemed to care passionately about.
She believed stupid theories and was too young and had no coping skills.

Suicide is often that the sufferer sees no way out but to die. Even though she believed the way out and dying was coming in 2012, she didn't want that way and chose her own time. Only she knows the truth.

She isn't the first victim of this 2012 conspiracy.
Many youngsters had apparently written to NASA with suicidal tendencies regarding the 2012 doomsday scenario.
I read about that when the 2012 movie was being released, whether or not it's true is anyone's guess. Perhaps that movie scared her and she didn't want to burn to death. She had been researching sunspots. It didnt specifically say it was the mayan calander she adhered to.
Who knows.

There was a friend who studied with her, surely she must know more.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Damnit this is why these threads are getting really out of hand with the misleading titles, and overall themes of fear, doom, negativity, and hopelessness.

Take the time and realize how much of an impact alternative news and sources have on the individual; the knowledge is valid (most of the time) but the psychological effect isn't worth my two cents anymore. Here's a new motto for the free thinker and awakening individual: "live your life to the greatest extent and always be prepared." If you're prepared and happy, there is NOTHING to worry or fear.

Mainstream media is negativity condensed into entertainment; ATS and members such as ourselves are not breaking the mold of utilizing knowledge, we're spreading more negativity and anxiety when those lower vibration emotions shouldn't exist.

Don't mind my rant, I pity the young girl who tried to see life on a different perspective, but the fear and negativity consume her well being. Global and cosmic events are portrayed very uninformative, it doesn't work well mentally, physically, and spiritually of all of us.
edit on 18-5-2012 by sgspecial19 because: typo

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Two people might read the same doomsday thread. One person might re-act in a way of "screw it, the worlds going to end anyway,so I might as well do it now", where as the other person might re-act in a way of "screw it, the worlds going to end, so I'm going to have the time of my life before it happens"

Two humans reading the same thread, yet two complete opposite re-actions.

There will always be weak minded and strong minded people, personally i try and meet in the middle ground some where, and let happen what is meant to happen, and if I'm still around after whatever happens happens, then I'll try and learn from what happened !

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   
I feel for the family and the girl Such people with weak constitutions should be sheltered away from the world so they do not need to deal with such issues. but what is worse? Imprisioning them to protect them or letting them out into the world to die sad and alone? Both could be argued cruel if one tried id suppose.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by EvanB

It is sad that people that research this sort of paranoia don't see that it is all conjecture and someones opinion that is most of time made up of there own paranoia.
If it was not 2012 this girl would have found something to put her over the edge, these sorts of people normally do.

The really sad part of this story are the fools that play the blame game, they do it for one reason, to bring attention to them selves from someone elses suffereing.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheProphetMark
I wonder if this girls death could be used to shut down websites like those of ATS?

Now that is what we should take away from this, not the recklessness of doomsayers( which have existed for a long long time and are not going away any time soon).

I believe that if people really want to place blame, the parents of this girl should have taken more precautions to prevent any negative internet exposure. And if someone is naive enough to make a life affecting decision based on a doomsayer then it is Darwinism.

Anyways, the real threat of this and any more to follow is its threat to the freedom of information on the web. It is undeniably true that each occurrence like this will pose a threat to that freedom. Hopefully people will take this with a pinch of salt, as it should be.
edit on 18-5-2012 by Renegade2283 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Praetorius
reply to post by EvanB

Sad, but...I've always had a problem with this:

So the (supposed) end of the world is coming and - you off yourself? What the hell kind of sense does that make? Yeah, the world sucks, but go buy yourself a cheeseburger and feel better about things. And if you're only thinking about killing yourself because the end of the world's coming - why not just wait?

I think this story is wrong, and she probably just did it - tragically - because the world got her down. The other argument never makes any sense to me, since THEN doesn't really have a whole lot to do with NOW. Now, people who are about to go to prison, I can understand killing themselves. But someone reading about the end of the world? Well NEWS FLASH - you're going to die someday anyway, and eventually the entire universe will die a heat death.

I guess under that same reasoning, we might as well ALL go off ourselves now.

My thoughts exactly. For starters, there is no proven, repeatable way to predict the future. If you did enough research into it, you might even find that the future is constantly changing because of actions during the present anyway.

But suppose she was totally convinced that the end was nigh... why not just make some popcorn and sit back to watch it all go down? WTF?

No, there were other issues at play here. Did doom and gloom contribute? Sure, maybe. But I bet the ROOT of her issues were elsewhere. Either that, or she was not capable of independent critical thinking.

At the end of it, a young life lost. RIP kiddo.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Originally posted by Trolloks

The world just got a little lighter.....

I have no sympathy for this girl. She seemed to not use any critical thinking, you can't just believe everything you read about these things, you should take everything with a pinch of salt. If you thought the world was going to end, and was so certain that you would hang yourself, then why would you kill yourself anyway? Why not just die when the world ends? At least then there is a chance that you would survive because it's not true (personaly, im not a 2012 believer).

Obviously the girl needed help and to say you have no sympathy is just pathetic. Not everyone is a critical thinker and some do believe everything they read, not even has the same traits. I have no sympathy for the people who continue to release bullsh!t and put peoples lives at risk like in this case.

No doubt people will jump on the bandwagon and blame people here and blame people there, but the fact is that there if no one to blame, it is her fault, no one elses. I may sound like a horrid person, or someone lacking in compasion, but in all seriousness, she did it, and it was no one elses fault.

Yeah it was her choice, her delusion, but I'm assuming this is not a spare of the moment thing so someone should of known what was going on and most likely could of prevented this from happening as well. How many more are going to start doing this? This 2012 information needs to be cleared up and locked away before more people decide killing themselves is the only way out of dying from the end of the world.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Redevilfan09
This 2012 information needs to be cleared up and locked away before more people decide killing themselves is the only way out of dying from the end of the world.

I don't think we should "lock away" information for any reason. You prove the point made in my above post. Also, yes the poster you replied to did seem a bit insensitive, however he was correct for the most part. People do need to learn to take responsibility for their own actions. "I do not blame people for their mistakes, but I do ask that they pay for them" - John Hammond.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   
If it wasn't doomsday theories, it would have been something else. There is some wires wrong in your brain, if you attempt to, or succeed at offing yourself. No way around it really. Yeah I was there before when I was a lot younger, my thinking was majorly flawed at the time. It can be fixed, but the longer you live with flawed thinking, and bad habits, the harder it gets. It is really sad when you hear about young people like this, parents are so detached from their kids these days, they don't even know when something is bothering them.

I think our detachment from the real world, and each other through technology is to blame for a lot of the problems we face in a way. On one hand, it frees up time, makes things easier. On the other it makes us physically and mentally weak. We don't have to think of solutions, we just google what to do. We don't have to do much manual labor, we have all kinds of machines to do it for us. I think there is a tipping point between easy, and too easy. And I think we have already passed that point.

edit on Fri, 18 May 2012 20:56:27 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I keep an open mind on the 2012 conspiracy regardless what anyones opinions are personally I don't understand why killing yourself would make it better???? Would you not rather leave with you loved ones around you?

No one should fear death we are told to do this and that in our lives but the only thing you have to do in life I am afraid is die and we all have to do it at some point our own end time is unknown and our own little world will end for all of us one day.

I would like to say though my heart goes out to the family and I found this article very sad and I hope she is now in a better place.

Peace and love.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by EvanB

The girl probably has psychological problems leading to a slippery sense of reality. I bet if the Internet was not invented, the girl would have ended reading the apocalypse in the bible and came to same conclusion. What is sad is nobody saw it coming enough to give her the help she needed. That being said, the actual real mayans descendant in Mexico believe it will be the beginning of a new era of enlightenment but opportunists twisted the facts to sell to end-of-the-worlders for profit and nothing more. I think 2012 will be just as significant as Y2K but without the expenditure in programming and ajusting computer calendars handling.

That is why teaching real science is so important.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I'm sitting here and reading this thread go by with a profound sense of sadness. This is by no means directed to any one ..or more... people. Although if someone thinks my thoughts include them in saying this, there might be some basis for it.

We have gathered on these boards many times now to lament the horrors of society and the evil kids can do onto each other when one or more of them decides to commit suicide but are too cowardly to do what this girl did. They have to kill many others FIRST in a school or mall shooting. In other cases, it's their own families they shoot to pieces and THEN kill themselves. I rarely, if ever, hear people doubting the basis of THOSE kids and suggesting they were just weak minded idiots who couldn't cope...and so..good riddens.

Those are the very ones I think we OUGHT to feel that way about, by the way. However, when a young teenage girl loses herself to despair, depression and fear to the point of quietly taking her OWN life....just hers....it's a source of endless ridicule and derision.

Whats wrong with this picture? The punks killing innocent people first almost seem to gain a cult following among some here. This poor girl? Just a pathetic piece of garbage to wonder why anyone even bothered to share the story, to hear many speak tonight.

Yes... It's sadness. Not anger, not even disgust. Just sadness. If we can't even find an ounce of empathy within ourselves for a 16yr old girl who is dead today, and shouldn't be, then what have we to show when the situation is far closer to home and that empathy might truly make all the difference to others?

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   
double posted, sorry
edit on Fri, 18 May 2012 21:54:41 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by gagol

I remember y2k lol. I got together with my closest friends, and we drank ourselves into oblivion, reminiscing on good times and such. We were sure it was gonna be all over chaos, the next day, that we were all gonna die soon after. I felt like I was gonna die the next day, what a hangover

I figure now, just go with the flow. If the world ended tomorrow, not a damn thing I could do to stop it. Living in fear might just be worse than death. I try to live like I am gonna die in my sleep every day. That day whenever it happens, I can know I lived the best I could up until the end.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I just want to thank you. I know we've disagreed on a few topics but you have so eloquently put my thoughts into words on this matter. The thing that bothers me is how quickly members of ATS are willing to change their tune as soon as their worldview is threatened. People on here are all too willing to blame the banks when someone commits suicide over a foreclosure but as soon as the conspiracy community can be even slightly implicated the deceased becomes someone who is deranged and deserves to die. It's just like last year when OWS had strong presence on here. Someone got raped in one of their camps and the immediate reaction was that she was lying.

People need to realize that the game's over. Even we who claim to fight for truth and justice (although that is debatable) can be a source of pain and suffering.We need to start accepting that our words and actions have consequences. As a result we may actually stop posting everything that will get us stars and flags and instead starts posting those things that can actually be backed up.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join