It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Awakening [TFTG]

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 07:19 AM
link   
With a breath akin to someone almost drowning, Jayden Crist lurched upwards, gazing around with fear-widened eyes. The world looked a little stranger than it had previously, like attempting to look through the fog of sleep.

“Hello?” He found his voice moments later, the word sounding foreign to his own ears. “Anybody?”

Taking a few blinks to correct himself, he realised he was still in the Great Library of Askion, his home for the last several years. The dusty room was darkened, the pinpoints of light that made up the night skies shone from beyond the windows. How long had he been asleep for? Struggling to stand, the young Magus found the solid comfort of a nearby table. Yet as his hands fell upon it, he recoiled quickly, the wood hot to the touch. As he stood to his full height, he noticed the table was glowing an eerie red, five sigils dug deep into the table belching out black smoke and sulphurous fumes.

“Hello?” Again, nothing replied to his call. Figuring he would return to the Feast Hall or even his chambers, Jayden made haste down the shadowy halls, past the suits of armour he had animated in the past to take revenge on his fellow students for their sometimes cruel jokes upon him, to the closed door of his room.
Swinging the door open, he found the room stripped of all but it’s bed and desk. All his tomes, all his scrolls, even all his clothes, gone. His mind suddenly aflame at what happened to his possessions, he spun about the empty room twice, before slamming the door in frustration.

“Hello? Anybody? Master Simmh?” His words, increasingly frantic echoed down the stone halls as he arrived at the always open door of Askion’s Archmagus. Striding inside, he found the same as his room. A desk, a few empty shelves, what tatters remained of the once grand Wemic skin rug on the floor.
“What have I done?” he muttered, sinking to the floor in defeat.

“Hello? Anybody?” The voice, agitated and petite, echoed from somewhere in the building. Like a shot Jayden was on his feet, straining his ears for the source of the call.

“Hello? I’m here! Can you hear me?” he yelled, making for the hallway.

“Hello? I can hear you! Where are you?” The voice rose again, this time closer. Jayden turned a sharp right as he left Simmh’s chambers, running headlong into the owner of the voice. With an oomph, both landed on their rears.

“Oh thank the gods!” the young woman, an auburn haired maiden of no more than twenty winters said excitedly, leaping to her feet. Her crystal green eyes seemed delighted she had found him, throwing her arms around the young Magus in repsonse.

“Did you find anyone else?” she asked, helping Jayden to his feet. He shook his head in reply.

“I didn’t. My room has been stripped, along with what seems like everything here.” Stalling mid-sentence, he remembered his manners.

“Oh. I am Jayden Crist. Magus-adept,” he offered with a bow.

“I am Beth, Magus-adept of Sarakhin.”

“Beth, where did you wake up?” She motioned back down the hallway.

“In the acolyte’s study, two days ago. At first I couldn’t find anyone, then I thought I found the exit. When I went to leave to find help, the door just took me to another room. It is my fear we are trapped inside this place.” Jayden tried to smile reassuringly.

“Don’t worry Beth. We’ll find a way out.” As they turned, a familiar face sat comfortably in the hallway.

“Bones!” Jayden cried. A very portly ginger cat, Bones was Jayden’s familiar, his companion. He had rescued her as a kitten from some local bullies, and she had stayed true to his side ever since. He pushed past Beth, meaning to pick his friend up. As he approached, the cat gazed up with red glowing eyes, and Jayden halted mid-step. The cat leapt toward him, her jaws stretching and tearing to reveal row after row of razor sharp teeth. Bloody claws tore from the flesh of the beast’s paws, far too large for the tiny frame. As he recoiled, he felt the air begin to crackle behind him, and the stink of ozone filled the hallway.

“Luminosus Wrathus!” The voice was Beth’s, and Jayden’s senses exploded with white light, so bright he could see it behind his closed eyelids. The stench of burning flesh overtook all others, and he opened his eyes in time to see the thing that was once his cat laying in a smoking pile mere inches from his feet. Shaken, not really understanding what had just happened, he reached for what remained of his familiar, but was stopped by Beth.

“What was that?” he breathed, feeling faint. “Did you just kill my cat?”

“No. That was not Bones.” Beth’s voice had changed somewhat, now seeming wiser than the scared girl he had come across minutes ago.

“But... but... It looked like her. How do you know?” Jayden stammered.

“Because I am Bones. And I’m here to rescue your soul.”

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   
This is the second part to a short story I am writing for the "Tales From The Grimoire" writing contest. The first part is here;

The Summoning [TFTG]

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   
You really have a knack for fantasy Templar !! Really,writer status should be yours in no time.

This is a great story,so far. Please continue..............

S&F

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Thankyou

Fantasy has been a staple for quite a while now. Back from hiatus, expect part three within a couple of days....

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by 74Templar

SnF.

I like how the suspense is building, and apparently Jayden has been transported to an alternate plane now. You are developing this story nicely.

I am looking forward to reading more.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

Thanks

Part three is up now, hopefully we will getting back to Jayden and his adventures through the looking glass a little later today

top topics

join