It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada's first dark matter lab opened today: Look out CERN meet SNOLAB

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I forgot about this but it seems Canada is going to be one of the key players in particle physics.

SNOLAB is an underground science laboratory specializing in neutrino and dark matter physics. Situated two km below the surface in the Vale Creighton Mine located near Sudbury Ontario Canada, SNOLAB is an expansion of the existing facilities constructed for the Sudbury Neutrino Observatory (SNO) solar neutrino experiment.

Link

The reason the lab is buried 2km beneath the earth is because they need to hear collisions when dark matter smash into atom's nucleus'. They can't do that on the surface of the earth. Too much radiation noise.

But deep underground in SNOLAB, the level of cosmic rays is reduced 10 millionfold, Smith said. In addition, the lab space, purposely excavated starting 2004, has been painstakingly cleaned of all dust particles and is climate controlled. Researchers have to shower before entering to make sure they don't bring any new dust with them.

www.cbc.ca... snolab-collar.html

Watch this video. It's a pretty cool space-agey facility.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

Uh yeah, and Harper said we were going to be a key world player in Digital Graphics Arts, CGI for movies and Gaming. Well that kinda fell flat. All of the large CGI companies went south except one or two.

Now I realize you can't pick up and accelerator and move it, but you can sure build a new Gamma Ray/Neitrono collector (it's just a deep pool with a lot of light amplification tubes) and move the instruments. Now since Harper and the rest of them work for Paul DeMarais (PowerCorp) along with Maurice Strong (IMF et al) in China, and the AECL has been bought out along with most of Ontario Hydro by NM Rothschild (out of NY), I would expect "real" projects to be moved to China, at least as soon as they make progress or discover something exploitable.

Anything a politician says or supports that is in the mainstream media is BS and there is always an agenda. In this case the information about SNO is probably out there to "explain" some excesses in black budget operations, since we don't get to see how they cook the books. You know, national security issues, nudge nudge wink wink say no more.

Cheers - Dave
edit on 5/18.2012 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

new topics

join