It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Mormon Church is a Cult

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 02:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by windword

Joseph Smith was a con man that was enamored with Masonry, but didn't fit in. So he made a religion and a secret men's club that called itself Christian and mimicked Masonry.

This is actually not correct.

There is so much wrong/mis-information about Mormons - - - its almost impossible to find accurate information.

Where am I wrong? He wasn't a con man? Okay, you got me, that's just my opinion. Didn't he make a religion?
It sure seemed like a secret men's club, again, my take on the secrecy and multiple wives thing.

You can't say that he wasn't rejected by Masons and in hot water for stealing their "craft."

"Not long after this lodge had been set to work, rumors of unusual proceedings therein became a current. Report had it that the Nauvoo brethren set at naught certain established and well-known Masonic laws and usages. This gossip persisted and finally crystallized into open and unequivocal charges. On the 16th day of July following, Bodley Lodge No. 1, of Quincy, held a special meeting called for the purpose of considering the matter and taking such action as the facts might seem to warrant. After discussion, the sentiment of the meeting took the form of resolutions. One of these called upon Grand Master Jonas to suspend the dispensation of Nauvoo Lodge until the annual communication of Grand Lodge. Another throws a little light back upon the events connected with the institution of that lodge. This resolution reads:

" 'Resolved: That Bodley Lodge No. 1, of Quincy, request of the Grand Lodge of the state of Illinios, that a committee be appointed at the next annual meeting of said lodge to make enquiry into the manner the officers of the Nauvoo Lodge, U.D. were installed, and by what authority the Grand Master initiated, passed and raised Messrs. Smith and Sidney Rigdon to the degrees of Entered Apprentice, Fellow Craft and Master Mason, at one and the same time, and that the proceedings of the committee be reported for the benefit of this lodge.' " (Mormonism and Masonry, by S. H. Goodwin, pages 28-29)

Finally, the Masons refused to allow the Mormons to continue "a Masonic Lodge at Nauvoo"

Although the Masons in Utah were disturbed with the Mormons because of polygamy, there are other reasons why they refused to allow Mormons to join their fraternity. One of the most important is that they feel that Joseph Smith stole part of the Masonic ritual and included it in his Temple ceremony. S.H. Goodwin made this statement:

"The observant Craftsman cannot be long among the Mormon people without noting the not infrequent use made of certain emblems and symbols which have come to be associated in the public mind with the Masonic fraternity. And now and again he will catch expressions and phrases in conversation, and meet with terms in literature, which are suggestive, to say the least. If he should continue his residence in Utah, he will sometimes be made aware of the fact, when shaking hands with a Mormon neighbor or friend, that there is a pressure of the hand as though some sort of a 'grip' is being given. (Mormonism and Masonry, S.H. Goodwin, page 43)

According to E. Cecil McGavin, "Grand Master J.M. Orr of Utah" made this statement in 1878:

"We say to the priests of the Latter-day Church, you cannot enter our lodge rooms—you surrender all to an unholy priesthood. You have heretofore sacrificed the sacred obligations of our beloved Order, and we believe you would do the same again. Stand aside; we want none of you. Such a wound as you gave Masonry in Nauvoo is not easily healed, and no Latter-day Saint is, or can become a member of our Order in this jurisdiction."(Mormonism and Masonry, page 7)

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 02:27 AM
link   
All you have to do is sit in on some Christian ceremonies, whether they be Lutheran or Catholic or even Santeria, to realize it is a cult. If you can sit through one without feeling like it is bizarre that just shows how effective the brainwashing is.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 02:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by windword

Where am I wrong? He wasn't a con man? Okay, you got me, that's just my opinion. Didn't he make a religion?
It sure seemed like a secret men's club, again, my take on the secrecy and multiple wives thing.

Sorry - its late and I'm sick.

Will have to get back to you.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 02:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

It's cool, get well. Feel better.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 06:03 AM
link   
reply to post by knightsofcydonia

Every Church is a cult.

Go figure.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by knightsofcydonia
Ann Romney's own parents were NOT allowed to attend their daughter's marriage because NON Mormons are NOT ALLOWED into the sactuary.

Even the Muslim's let in those from other faiths to go to Mosque during services..

I can't think of ANY other so called Christian faith that refuses NON members the ability to attend and worship.

That's not true, I've attended weddings in Mormon churches before and have also gone to church with Mormon friends on Sundays before. I'm a Methodist and they let me right in.
They're not a cult, they're a Christian denomination. You don't have to agree, you don't have to like it, but it doesn't make it false.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 06:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000

*pst*

*whispers*

Mormons are not christians. Their Jesus came from outter space and he allows the marriage and fornication of multiple women and he will not allow you into heaven if you refuse a 9 year old bride and if you do not keep constantly breeding everytime one of your wives' ovulates.

Fundamental of mormonism...google Warren Jeffs and then ask yourself "where is Jesus in any of that?"

Mormonism is actually the Cult of Hathor (Egyptian fertility godess) and you can google that too. Mormons get more bootie than a toilet seat.
edit on 17-5-2012 by lonewolf19792000 because: (no reason given)

That's not true. I've been to Mormon Churches, have family members who are Mormon and I ask a lot of questions. They are just another denomination and worship the same God and the same Christ that all the other Christian denominations do.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by HangTheTraitors
Romney is just a WESTERN version of the typical religious fanatic of the world like those that we see over in the middle-east who are CONSTANTLY fighting over NONSENSE.

Same type of DELUSIONAL fairy-tale believing superstitious NUT, but of a different FLAVOR and LOCATION on the planet.

We dont need these types of DANGEROUS NUTS in positions of power...

edit on 17-5-2012 by HangTheTraitors because: (no reason given)

Really? Where are all the reports and historical facts showing massive conquests by Mormons overthrowing other groups and murdering them? Are there any famous Mormon Mass Murderers? I don't know of any. It looks more like they're the most peaceful denomination of Christians out there.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 06:13 AM
link   

reply to post by MrSpad

you would think maybe you all could stop condeming each other and let the big guy upstairs do the judging.

We don't judge them, their actions and disobedience to the Messiah judges them and he told us to look at the fruits of their labors to know them by and we are given the right to rebuke the false prophets and false disciples that teach lies and lawlessness to the people. You are an outsider so you do not understand the spiritual war that is raging, you only see what you see with your eyes.

Fruits of their labors? Well, they provide their own welfare system from within their church so the people aren't drawing for the government, they save food that they have grown and canned, they help their communities, they've never gone on wild conquests to kill off other people, the very name of their church "Church of JESUS CHRIST of Latter Day Saints" show they worship JESUS CHRIST, not someone else....
Looks like the fruits of their labors are pretty darn good

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 06:23 AM
link   

I'm starting to think ALL religions are cults.

edit on 5/18/12 by Evildead because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by PurpleChiten

Not exactly, they do have a living prophet.

This is something that even in the Roman Catholic church, the Pope does not claim to be. Not even in Islam even the Shia Ayatollah (currently granted to top Shia mujtahid) stress that they are not even "saints" (in other religions and Sunni Islam: ayatollahs are not regarded as enlightened by God Himself), but by the Word of God (they have latitude to make their own interpretations based on the texts but can not create nothing new, a prophet can).

I added the last bit so that people become more informed on the eccentricities of Iran.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 07:41 AM
link   

The documentary I posted shows that even if you were allowed to attend that it is not common practice and not to all of the practices. This is made clear by the Mormon church representative.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 07:54 AM
link   
golden tablets from god that only Mr. Smith could see.... who buys that ? honestly...

i think that guy could have sold ice to an eskimo
he was like the Ron Popeil of religion or something..

fyi: i grew up just a couple miles from where he said that happened in the north east pa susquehanna river..
he is an epic joke in the surrounding towns, and was back then as well. thats why he went to utah.

another side note.. the mormon church bought all the land near the river where this story came from recently with the intention of building a mecca for mormons. but after the purchase they were denied permits to build because of ground contamination from the old steam railroad system. ha ha...
that land is nothing but a place for locals to have keg partys, ride 4 wheelers, burn garbage and shoot bottles...

its easy to find.. the place is right behind a dirt race track and a junk yard lol yeeee hawwww!!

and now you know

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Panic2k11

There is actually some truth to this. While I was allowed to attend my sister's baptism and even a church service, I was not allowed to attend the Sealing Ceremony. Only Mormons could could bear witness to it. Oddly enough when she and her husband were sealed they didn't talk about it when I asked. They simply said it was awesome. I was encouraged to become Mormon so that I could be sealed with them, but it never sat right with me, but hey people believe what they want. To each their own as they say.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   

That's not true. I've been to Mormon Churches, have family members who are Mormon and I ask a lot of questions. They are just another denomination and worship the same God and the same Christ that all the other Christian denominations do

Did you watch the news last summer about Warren Jeffs, the former self styled "prophet" of the Church of Latter Day Saints? Do you really think that is an isolated incident? You don't know what goes on behind closed doors or what people do at the stroke of midnight in secrecy. There's also a reason they don't have windows on their cathedrals, similar to why Freemasons do not have windows on their lodges.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by OhZone

ALL churches are cults.
Any organization that has a set of beliefs that they instill into you is a cult.
www.howcultswork.com...

I know, I know. I agree with you thouroughly. Those evolutionists are so cultish full of blind faith in belief of what their high priests dictate to them. It's *shudder* krazy man!

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Guess what? Technically ALL religions are cults. All of them. Even the independent bible believers. Religion = cult. It's modern language that has attached another meaning, a more negative meaning, to the word 'cult'. But psychology 101 tells us that ANY religion is a 'cult'.

Originally posted by knightsofcydonia
Ann Romney's own parents were NOT allowed to attend their daughter's marriage because NON Mormons are NOT ALLOWED into the sactuary.

Catholics are not supposed to attend the wedding of Catholics to non Catholics if that wedding is not at least concelebrated by a Catholic priest or given official Catholic church approval. Catholics allow anyone and everyone to worship in the church and to attend mass, but only Catholics who have recieved First Communion and are in a state of grace are allowed to receive Communion during Mass.

So that right there covers 1 billion Christians. Half of Christianity has that as part of their belief system. If they follow it or not is another story. But it is on their rule books.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   

*pst* *whispers* Mormons are not christians.

*pst* *SHOUTS* That's what the leaders of the different demonations will tell you but the fact is that they follow Christ AS THEY KNOW HIM and therefore, they are indeed Christians. The definition of a Christian is someone who tries to follow Christ as best they can. That covers them no matter what the Pope or the Southern Baptist Convention (or whoever) says.

Everyone has a different idea of who Christ is. Catholics, Episcopals, Orthodox, and some Lutherans believe Christ is God incarnate. Many fundamentalists don't. Mormons think he's something else entirely. But ALL try to follow Him as they know Him. Therefore .. they are all 'Christ'ians.
edit on 5/18/2012 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by FoundingSon
i know a couple of mormons, they are good people. dumb, but good

The mormons I know are the best people I have ever met. They are the nicest. They are the most giving. They don't back stab. They don't insult. They go out of their way to help people. I'm sure not all mormons are like that, every group has their bad apples. But the dozen or so I've met or known through the years makes me wish more Christians were like their mormon brethren. I dont' believe what they believe .. but so what. They do their best and they give their best. Other Christians could learn a lot from them.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Did you watch the news last summer about Warren Jeffs, the former self styled "prophet" of the Church of Latter Day Saints? Do you really think that is an isolated incident?

That's a break away group from the main body. He's a sick pedophile. So are his break away followers. It would be totally unfair to say that the majority of Mormons are like that simply because there are people in that small break away group who are sickos.

That would be like saying most Catholic priests are pedophiles simply because less than 1/10 of 1% of priests were involved in the sex scandal. Oh wait ... you did say something like that.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join