It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Mormon Church is a Cult

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by MrSpad

you would think maybe you all could stop condeming each other and let the big guy upstairs do the judging.

We don't judge them, their actions and disobedience to the Messiah judges them and he told us to look at the fruits of their labors to know them by and we are given the right to rebuke the false prophets and false disciples that teach lies and lawlessness to the people. You are an outsider so you do not understand the spiritual war that is raging, you only see what you see with your eyes.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by sirhumperdink
was going to say all religions are a cult but thesungod beat me too it
so ill just add my support to that post

Yeah, me also, but I will say it anyway. All Religions are a Cult. The basic indoctrination practices of Christianity are wholly indistinguishable from any other Religious Cult. Some are even blood cults, those that eat the flesh and drink the blood of their God make me sick to my stomach.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by knightsofcydonia

ALL churches are cults.
Any organization that has a set of beliefs that they instill into you is a cult.
www.howcultswork.com...

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Christianity is a cult. What's your point?

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies
Christianity is a cult. What's your point?

An accusation that pops up every so often in conversations is that Christianity is a “cult”. This is not really an “argument” per say, it is really just an emotional assertion. As we shall see, however, the claim that Christianity is a cult is entirely dubious.

Now, a cult is commonly considered to be a “bizarre” and small religious following full of strange and oftentimes dangerous rituals. However, some people claim that it is unfair to define a cult as a “non-traditional” belief or as a “heretical” group. They point out that such a definition is unfair to those that profess such beliefs, and that to them it is the other view (i.e., Christianity) that is actually “heretical” or “non-traditional”. Therefore, a cult should really be defined as any religious belief whatsoever. Thus, under this rubric, Christianity is indeed a cult.

Essentially, I agree with much of this. It seems a bit subjective to label certain groups as “cultic” because it begs the question as to whether or not their belief or ritual is actually odd or in any way contrary to truth. However, the real problem with the person who claims that Christianity is a “cult” is that they are trying to sneak in the negative connotation of the word “cult” in order to stir the emotions.

After all, if a cult is merely synonymous with “religion”, then there is nothing inherently wrong with being in a cult. In fact, the word “cult” becomes superfluous. However, non-Christians know that the word “cult” carries with it much emotional force. Things like bloody mutilation and unhealthy obsession with rituals and beliefs come to mind at the mentioning of the word. The nonbeliever is merely trying to shove emotional baggage of such activities on the shoulders of the Christian faith. Such an approach is clearly deceptive.

So, the claim that Christianity is a “cult” is really just an emotional non-argument. The word “cult” should either be discarded or given a more specific (and perhaps subjective) meaning than general religious belief

edit on 17-5-2012 by knightsofcydonia because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by autowrench

Originally posted by sirhumperdink
was going to say all religions are a cult but thesungod beat me too it
so ill just add my support to that post

Yeah, me also, but I will say it anyway. All Religions are a Cult. The basic indoctrination practices of Christianity are wholly indistinguishable from any other Religious Cult. Some are even blood cults, those that eat the flesh and drink the blood of their God make me sick to my stomach.

Are you sure you want to hoe that row? You do know that those are symbolic to Catholics only. Cults usually demand money or power. In a cult its not optional to do what you want unless the great leader allows it to be so. Just because a cult copies from religion dont mean its true does it?

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

Bingo. You sadly contradict yourself a bit, since you state that all start as a cult (implies that at a some point they may cease to be a cult), to what I agree but you do not complete that reasoning...

CULT - Secret or modeled like a secret society
RELIGION - All dogmas are open to scrutiny, some non religious information may be private

CULT - Deceit in recruitment, information is provided in steps
RELIGION - Most if not all information is offered up front

CULT - Totalitarian
RELIGION - Allows freedom of thought/members have a say

CULT - Destroys that family unit and promotes segregation from society (Isolates its members from non mombers)
RELIGION - Promotes the family unit and participation in society. Works within society

CULT - Keeps non-believers out
RELIGION - Open to general community

CULT - Limits development of individual outside of cult's interests
RELIGION - Interested in promoting potential in accordance to dogma and human liberties

CULT - Exploits and manipulates its members/mind control techniques. Normally it involves money transference. Involves mismanagement of funds to leadership interests outside of public stated cult's interests.
RELIGION - While there are guidelines members are not systematically controlled. Avoids taxation in exchange to service to community.

CULT - Commitment is encouraged during recruitment process. People are prevented from leaving (psychologically of physically)
RELIGION - Thought before commitment is encouraged as part of conversion process. Exiting may exclude practice of some rituals (but not attendance).

CULT - Criticism is met with threats of legal action and often suffer illegal sanctions or persecution.
RELIGION - People are free to speak out against the tenets of a religion.

CULT - Follower consider leader to be above reproach. Strictly pyramidal structure.
RELIGION - Clergy are expected to be responsible for their words and actions, They are considered at best knowledgeable pears.

CULT - Questioning the leader, or basic tenets, is not allowed, often discouraged or sanctioned.
RELIGION - Critical thinking is allowed and sometimes even encouraged. (ie Bible study groups)

CULT - Includes vows of obedience to a human hierarchy. Goes beyond "normal" mysticism (main religions and beliefs). Often based on fear.
RELIGION - Based on respect for the hierarchy and respect of the beliefs of others.

Based on the table presented on www.cultclinic.org... (with a few rapid modifications).

PS: All organized forms of cult and religion are intrinsically evil as they limit human experience and freedom of thought. Even Buddhism has this fault. All cults and religions should not require human intermediaries, even the most stoic atheist believe is something besides himself be it of human origin or of natural origin (I have yet to meet a true and serious atheist). Faith in something is good and powerful, even if in science, permits the creation of a positive outlook and motivates us to exceed ourselves and aspire to something more if not only more knowledge and understanding of what surrounds us.
Hierarchic science at times is as bad as organized religions...

edit on 18-5-2012 by Panic2k11 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 12:03 AM
link   

christianity is bizzare and amazingly stupid.

Ive been to church and ive heard those idiots preach.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 01:32 AM
link   
There are alot of strange things about mormonism.
But One of my really good friends is mormon and is about the nicest person you will ever meet, and so is the rest of his family.

I had my pre-conceived notions, but it works for them, whatever their bylaws are, are fine, as long as it doesn't break U.S Law.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Early Americans were a bit rebellious concerning the fundamentals of the Christian religion. There were rebel deist, like Thomas Jefferson, who re-wrote the New Testament to exclude all miracles, including the virgin birth of Jesus, and the resurrection. Quakers and their offspring the Shakers also denied the fundamental of Christianity, but claimed to be Christian in their following of Christ like living. www.abovetopsecret.com...

Joseph Smith was a con man that was enamored with Masonry, but didn't fit in. So he made a religion and a secret men's club that called itself Christian and mimicked Masonry.

www.utlm.org...
www.utlm.org...

1. Both the Masons and the Mormons have what is called "the five points of fellowship."

Mormons

"The five points of fellowship are given by putting the inside of the right foot to the inside of the Lord's, the inside of your knee to his, laying your breast close to his, your left hands on each other's backs, and each one putting his mouth to the other's ear, in which position the Lord whispers:
"Lord—'This is the sign of the token:

" 'Health to the navel, marrow in the bones, . . .

(Temple Mormonism, page 22)

Masons

"He (the candidate) is raised on what is called the five points of fellowship, . . . This is done by putting the inside of your right foot to the inside of the right foot of the person to whom you are going to give the word, the inside of your knee to his, laying your right breast against his, your left hands on the back of each other, and your mouths to each other's right ear (in which position alone you are permitted to give the word), and whisper the word Mahhah-bone. . . He is also told that Mahhah-bone signifies marrow in the bone."
(Freemasonry Exposed, pages 84-85)

2. When the candidate receives "The First Token of the Aaronic Priesthood" he makes a promise similar to the oath taken in the "First Degree" of the Masonic ritual.

Mormons

". . .we will not reveal any of the secrets of this, the first token of the Aaronic priesthood, with its accompanying name, sign or penalty. Should we do so, we agree that our throats be cut from ear to ear and our tongues torn out by their roots."
(Temple Mormonism, page 18)

Masons
". . .I will. . . never reveal any part or parts, art or arts, point or points of the secret arts and mysteries of ancient Freemasonry. . . binding myself under no less penalty than to have my throat cut across, my tongue torn out by the roots, . . ."
(Freemasonry Exposed, p. 21-22)

And on and on..............

edit on 18-5-2012 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000

Mormons are not christians. Their Jesus came from outter space and he allows the marriage and fornication of multiple women and he will not allow you into heaven if you refuse a 9 year old bride and if you do not keep constantly breeding everytime one of your wives' ovulates.

Full name of the Mormon religion: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

Traditional fundamental Christians sound ridiculous when they put down Mormons.

YOUR guy - - born of a virgin impregnated by God. And other miraculous myths.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by knightsofcydonia

I can't think of ANY other so called Christian faith that refuses NON members the ability to attend and worship.

I was Mormon for 5 years. Married a man who was raised Mormon -- so we tried it as a couple.

First thing I learned. Non-Mormons think they know everything about Mormons. They can ask you a question straight to your face. You give them the answer - - and they tell you you are wrong.

You don't understand anything you are spouting.
edit on 18-5-2012 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by CoolStoryMan

Secret societies have no place operating in open societies. They are mutually exclusive. I think you should be concerned in having the next USA president be a Mormon, especially one that has risen beyond in that curt hierarchy (was a bishop) and fully indoctrinated in it.

I do not particularly see an issue in the CIA (or even the FBI) being preferential to Mormons if they understand fully what they are doing. It is easier to trust secrets to one that is proficient in dealing with them. Intelligence agencies by their corruptive and inquiring nature cross pollinate each-others (a truly interesting aspect of how spies help different sides understand each-other better and ultimately work toward the end of all secrets, given enough time and opportunity).

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by windword

Joseph Smith was a con man that was enamored with Masonry, but didn't fit in. So he made a religion and a secret men's club that called itself Christian and mimicked Masonry.

This is actually not correct.

There is so much wrong/mis-information about Mormons - - - its almost impossible to find accurate information.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf

christianity is bizzare and amazingly stupid.

Ive been to church and ive heard those idiots preach.

I agree.

They have NO Room to talk about any other belief.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 02:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

I think it is public knowledge that Mormonism practices exclusion from non believers. I have heard this clearly in a documentary from a Church elder. There was even a vow that included a gesture of beheading (not practiced anymore) regarding informing on the temple (also admitted on camera).

I do not have an issue with Mormons in particular, but how secret organization tend to operate and erode the freedoms of those that are outside of them. If not for anything else only because of preferential treatment that is ok in private operations but not in public service or state functions, cults especially, see what the Roman Catholics did when they were also a cult (this goes as well to religions), with the probable exception of Buddhism.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Panic2k11
reply to post by Annee

I think it is public knowledge that Mormonism practices exclusion from non believers.

No they don't.

Anyone can attend the Mormon church.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Panic2k11

I do not have an issue with Mormons in particular, but how secret organization tend to operate and erode the freedoms of those that are outside of them.

This is complete nonsense.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 02:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Again, nothing against Mormons in particular. But since you are being intentionally deceitful...

BBC documentary - 'The Mormon Candidate' (Romney, LDS church). Also shunned or "post mormons" speak.

Magic Mormon Underwear by TheThinkingAtheist

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 02:17 AM
link   
i know a couple of mormons, they are good people. dumb, but good

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join